Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
onequickshift
Two Camaros :)

Drives: 69+10 Chevy Camaro
5th Gen Camaro Key

Does anyone know where I can get one blank and unprogrammed? Dealer kept giving me the run around, I went to 2 in person and I told them I just want one to use for photography, they kept insisting that they needed a vin # and also a premium would be charged, I said why can't I just buy one, like any other blank key?

And they couldn't answer.

I called a few other dealers via phone, and they couldn't quote me a price or anything.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I'd prefer blank and unprogrammed, not working, how much are replacement keys?

One guy who was at the dealer with his wife (he was waiting in a 2010 mustang) was like why not get a camaro then? I said I can't afford one for another year or so until I am done with school, and have enough extra money aside for a down payment. He scuffed, so I was like why does your wife have a nice v8 camaro and you have a 6er stang, I laughed and walked away.

I have a rust bucket 69 camaro and a daily driver 05 colorado, so I am a chevy girl

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me out, its a want, not a need; I just really want a key so bad
onequickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
Did you get a number with your Camaro, it should be a letter and then 5 numbers with it? My dealer said to keep this code in a locked if you lose one of the remotes. The remotes cost $15 to have reprogramed.
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
there has been some on EBAY.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Betro02

Drives: Powerful
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm38 View Post
Did you get a number with your Camaro, it should be a letter and then 5 numbers with it? My dealer said to keep this code in a locked if you lose one of the remotes. The remotes cost $15 to have reprogramed.
She does not have a Camaro yet, she is just looking for the key only.

ok now try ebay or check other places like hardware stores some carry keys that look the same, otherwise just keep calling dealers around you area. I would check with my friend he works for a dealer I would let you know ok.
Betro02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
My dealer told me the keys were lazed cut and cost $300 to replace so don't know if this is true or not. It seamed a little expensive to me but thought I would post it and see if that is true or false?
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytophummer View Post
My dealer told me the keys were lazed cut and cost $300 to replace so don't know if this is true or not. It seamed a little expensive to me but thought I would post it and see if that is true or false?
That's about right. There is a huge markup on keys like this because they need to be cut, from the factory not the dealer, and then the fob needs to be programmed. That's where the extra cost comes in. Still cheaper than a Mercedes key

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
okyankee

Drives: 2010 SILVERADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytophummer View Post
mine told me the same.
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
I made my own key out of flint, iron, and three NAND gates.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betro02 View Post
She does not have a Camaro yet, she is just looking for the key only.

ok now try ebay or check other places like hardware stores some carry keys that look the same, otherwise just keep calling dealers around you area. I would check with my friend he works for a dealer I would let you know ok.
obviously you have never seen a camaro key. Not going to be carried in ANY hardware store. It is a switchblade type key built into the keyless fob and yes it is laser cut. Very expensive. I suggest not losing them.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
WorldClassRS

Drives: 2010 RJT LT/RS
The keys are available cut or uncut and last I checked were under 75 bucks. Uncut being about $15 cheaper
WorldClassRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Yup, thats about how much my BMW key fob cost to replace
Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1238099888
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1238099888

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I'm hoping that I can get just a key without the FOB part when I get my Camaro. I think I'm going to put on an aftermarket alarm and that will come with a FOB and should open the doors and trunk. I then hope to just get a key without the factory FOB so that I can put it with the alarm's FOB. Otherwise I would be carrying around two FOBs.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
strobi
MJ STROH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LTRS
Keys for 2010 Camaro

I am a locksmith, and have just ordered a new 2010 Cmaro myself. The locks are made by STRATTEC, and are called sidewinder locks, GM's latest in security type locks. They are also found on the new Equinox, and the Buick LaCrosse. The fobs you see on ebay, the keys have already been cut, and will be useless in your vehicle..You have to get a new key blank, have it cut and then placed in the fob and have it reprogrammed. The blanks SHOULD be available at a large locksmith shops soon, as far as I know they are not yet available to locksmiths, and not all locksmiths will be carrying them because it takes a special key cutting machine to cut them, and is VERY expensive. The dealers like it that way for obvious reason. Each key has a code, the code series for the Camaro and other systems is
Z0001-Z6000 and your camaro has a key code somewhere inbetween those two numbers, usually you will find this on your keyring(aluminum tab with number)when you purchase a new vehicle, sometimes its a little punch out piece. or the dealer can look up the code from your VIN#, , keep this number if you should ever loose your key or need to have one duplicated. I plan on getting a blank and have it cut to my code, and keep that key in my wallet. The key alone won't start your vehicle, but it will open the door, say if your keys are locked inside. Hope this helps everyone out...enjoy the ride!

Mike Strohbusch
strobi is offline   Reply With Quote