Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
IRS question

...sorry if i'm dumb for asking, but this question has been in the back of my mind. I really want 700 ponies out of my SS. Usually, if i'm not mistaken, at about north of 650 ponies is when you are looking at rear end work to keep things moving...so will the IRS differ from this? will we have to go with a solid axle if we want 700-800 hp? i'm sorry if this is a stupid question or has been asked before...
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
nah not a dumb question. but i think its a bit early to know what it will be capable of.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
You may want to post this question in the Pedders thread. From a suspension point of view they are intimately familiar with the new Maro.

Here ya go. These guys are pretty good at getting back to you.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6187
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think it depends a lot on how you abuse the rear end too. I know of a guy who's running a big cam, high stall, and short geared rear ended car into the tens on nitrous and didn't have a problem until a 200-shot, I think it was. He destroyed the ring gear if I'm not mistaken, but didn't abuse the rear end. That was the OEM 10-bolt which is notoriously unforgiving. He was spraying out of the hole most of the time too. He's changed to a 9-inch now so won't really have to worry about rear ends anymore though, LOL.

I think it is too early to know. However, since GM's gotten rid of the axle hop, I'm sure that will help keep the rear end alive longer. In addition, like gtahvit's already said, there are companies out there that can fortify the rear suspension better too. I'm sure there are going to be more companies out there that are going to engineer girdles, like the 'Vettes have, to take more power.

Simply, IMVHO, if you're planning on 600+ horsepower, and running at the track often, I'd seriously just know you're going to have to either spend a lot of money on the rear end, or know that you may have to consider a SAS rear end conversion. If you only drive it on the street though, you probably won't have many issues though.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think it depends a lot on how you abuse the rear end too. I know of a guy who's running a big cam, high stall, and short geared rear ended car into the tens on nitrous and didn't have a problem until a 200-shot, I think it was. He destroyed the ring gear if I'm not mistaken, but didn't abuse the rear end. That was the OEM 10-bolt which is notoriously unforgiving. He was spraying out of the hole most of the time too. He's changed to a 9-inch now so won't really have to worry about rear ends anymore though, LOL.

I think it is too early to know. However, since GM's gotten rid of the axle hop, I'm sure that will help keep the rear end alive longer. In addition, like gtahvit's already said, there are companies out there that can fortify the rear suspension better too. I'm sure there are going to be more companies out there that are going to engineer girdles, like the 'Vettes have, to take more power.

Simply, IMVHO, if you're planning on 600+ horsepower, and running at the track often, I'd seriously just know you're going to have to either spend a lot of money on the rear end, or know that you may have to consider a SAS rear end conversion. If you only drive it on the street though, you probably won't have many issues though.

Thanks. That was pretty much the answer I was looking for. She's gonna be a street car. With an occasional weekend or two at the track But, this will all be in good time. I'm just gonna start with intake and full exhaust and move forwards from there. So it might be a while before I get 700 ponies...but it will happen
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
If you don't post it here when you do... Never happened....

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote