Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Finally got my baseline dyno done...

I finally got the opportunity to baseline my LS3. Took a short trip to Tune Time Performance in Toms River, NJ to meet Matt who is VERY well known in the G8 and TBSS communities. HEaded down to get a bung welded into my 1 7/8" Kooks Headers to use a wideband in and while I was there asked if he could throw the car onto his Mustang Dyno to get a baseline which he was more than willing to do. I had been running a RotoFab intake on the car for a month or so now but after finally doing some scanning with HPTuners I noticed I had some pretty significant Long Term Fuel Trims and figured I better go back to the stock air box to get a baseline before I put the RotoFab back on as well as the headers and start re-calibrating the MAF sensor. My intention is to use the baseline done at Tune Time as a starting point and as I work through tuning the bolt ons return there from time to time to get a comparison on the same dyno. I'm ultimately not too interested in comparing dyno numbers to others but more so against myself so I can monitor my progress.

The interesting thing was Matt questioned me as to whether or not I had done anything to the car in so far as a tune and I told him no, it is bone stock with the exception of throwing the RotoFab on and then taking it off and putting the stock intake back on and then resetting the fuel trims in HPTuners. I suspect he thought the car baselined a little bit higher than he was used to seeing on a bone stock LS3 but the only thing I can think that lent itself to the numbers was maybe the fact that the car already has a little over 5000 miles on it and I broke it in pretty hard early on, I did not baby it for the first 1000 miles or so. Now I do have Pfadt Engine mounts on the car but I don't know how they could make any real difference in the max number that gets to the rear wheels. My understanding is the Mustang numbers read roughly 12% below what seem to be the defacto standard for those that like to compare which is Dyno Jet and on Matt's Mustang I came in at a max of 354ft/lb and 361rwhp. Assuming a 12% uplift for a Dyno Jet that would put those numbers at 396ft/lb and 404rwhp but that would seem a bit high for a bone stock even on a dyno that supposedly reads 12% higher. AFRs were very flat at 12.1 taken at the tailpipe so a little bit richer in front of the cats.

In any event, I have MY baseline to work from so now it is time to see what I can safely squeeze out of the car.

The one other thing I'd like to mention is if anyone is in the NJ/PA/DE/MD areas and are looking for a no nonsense, reputable, and down to earth guy to deal with, Matt at Tune Time is your guy and I would encourage anyone to at least reach out to him if you have any big or small plans and are shopping around for a shop. You can get his info at http://www.tunetimeperformance.com/ and his contact info is at the top of the dyno sheet below...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
I bet he made the run in Dynojet mode (the roller brakes are turned off)
Nice numbers BTW for a stock car.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
I bet he made the run in Dynojet mode (the roller brakes are turned off)
Nice numbers BTW for a stock car.
Not so sure, I watched both pulls and it took quite a while for the car to pull through the rpm range which tells me the roller was under load, then again, who the hell am I to say with any certainty.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
robertway

So after realizing that even though I could tune my car with a RotoFab and some Kooks Long Tubes to a certain point, about a month or so ago the car was still getting a ton of timing pulled on the dyno in 4th gear pulls trying to get past the 3800rpm mark so I decided these things are best left to the experts. After thoroughly researching shops I went with East Coast Supercharging in Cream Ridge, NJ (this is before I even knew they were hosting the recent Camaro meet). I brought the car down on April 8th and Doug Ring strapped the car onto their Dynapak and within a little while he had safely gotten the car to lay down a maximum of 404RWHP at 5400 rpms and 428RWTQ at 4400 rpms. His comment was that I had what appeared to be a very strong car from the factory to start with and seemed really pleased with what he got out of the car. I was VERY happy to say the least to breach the 400RWHP mark with just a RotFab and the Kooks. Doug was great to work with, he and Chris Coriell as well as Mike Moran made me feel like I was a customer for years despite it being my first contact with the shop. While I had initially gone to Tune Time Performance to have my baseline done and was very happy with Matt and his guys there I decided to go with ECS based on all their success with the LS3 and their reputation in the Corvette circles. I would still recommend Tune Time Performance and am pretty fortunate to have two top-notch shops so close to me.

Here is the best and final pull Doug did with the car to get 404RWHP and 428RWTQ

Next up is discussing with them a blower cam and their Paxton Supercharger setup but the personal finance situation will keep that on the shelf until at least the Winter time or next Spring.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
nice
Dude, I love you (in a manly platonic kinda way I mean) you are THE KING of the "nice" post

Thanks for the "nice".....

Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
ilovehooters1385

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
Dude, I love you (in a manly platonic kinda way I mean) you are THE KING of the "nice" post

Thanks for the "nice".....

gotta get 5000 posts somehow lol