Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NTA7 View Post
We had the same problem with our new 2012 2SS right off the lot... took it to service, they removed rust and repainted with high temp paint, under warranty / or complimentary.

In my opinion this is a manufacturing defect that Chevy needs to fix. There is no excuse for this to happen to brake rotor hats that can be seen through the rims...
A manufacturing defect? Are you serious? It's a manufacturing defect that raw iron rusts? Why don't you just invent something to change the laws of science so it won't rust? That'd solve it for everyone....... I can't believe you wasted your dealership's time and energy to remove the rust...

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
M3NTA7

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
A manufacturing defect? Are you serious? It's a manufacturing defect that raw iron rusts? Why don't you just invent something to change the laws of science so it won't rust? That'd solve it for everyone.......
Yes, I am serious actually. Ok, it's not a 'defect', it's a possible manufacturing process choice, or procedure inconsistency.

Really, raw iron rusts... who would've known?

Anyway, I'm not talking about the iron I'm talking about the coating on the the Rotor Hats... the Rotor Hats... there, is that clear?

The rotor hats shouldn't rust and look like crap when you can clearly see them through the spokes of your rims. They should be correctly factory coated. Well, unless the manufacturer doesn't care that much about the image of what their car looks like with rust on the ROTOR HATS showing through those nice rims on one of their sports cars.

I don't have a problem that the discs rusting and that comes off with driving and applying the brakes a few times with the brake pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
I can't believe you wasted your dealership's time and energy to remove the rust...
Maybe I shouldn't have wasted my money buying a car from them?

Anyway, they fixed the problem.

All is well, Cheers!

Last edited by M3NTA7; 03-14-2012 at 04:17 PM.
M3NTA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
The rotor hats aren't coated, though, that's what we're talking about.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #32
OVRKILL

Drives: 01SS
Quote:
Yes, I am serious actually. Ok, it's not a 'defect', it's a possible manufacturing process choice, or procedure inconsistency.

Really, raw iron rusts... who would've known?

Anyway, I'm not talking about the iron I'm talking about the coating on the the Rotor Hats... the Rotor Hats... there, is that clear?

The rotor hats shouldn't rust and look like crap when you can clearly see them through the spokes of your rims. They should be correctly factory coated. Well, unless the manufacturer doesn't care that much about the image of what their car looks like with rust on the ROTOR HATS showing through those nice rims on one of their sports cars.

I don't have a problem that the discs rusting and that comes off with driving and applying the brakes a few times with the brake pads.

Maybe I shouldn't have wasted my money buying a car from them?

Anyway, they fixed the problem.

All is well, Cheers!
Maybe you should have bought a bicycle. Have to side with Meissen here.....you actually took your car to the dealership to clean rust of rotor hats ? You could have hand painted the hats with small brush......3 or 4x with better results!

What are you going to do when it runs out of gas? Not too many full service stations around any more....maybe the dealer should have packaged a small gas can (full of course) for you.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #33
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKILL View Post
Maybe you should have bought a bicycle. Have to side with Meissen here.....you actually took your car to the dealership to clean rust of rotor hats ? You could have hand painted the hats with small brush......3 or 4x with better results!

What are you going to do when it runs out of gas?
you guys can crack jokes. But at the end of the day he got his rotor hats professionally painted. For free. While yes this is a very easy DIY - it still takes a few hours. Again he got it for free, and without using up his own time
Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #34
OVRKILL

Drives: 01SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
you guys can crack jokes. But at the end of the day he got his rotor hats professionally painted. For free. While yes this is a very easy DIY - it still takes a few hours. Again he got it for free, and without using up his own time
Free for who? I can assure you if it was filed as a warranty claim, it wasnt free for the supplier, GM and or for future end customers going forward. Maybe a bicycle wasnt correct....save the money and go with public transportation.

Rediculous....
Old 03-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #35
M3NTA7

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKILL View Post
Free for who? ...

Rediculous....
Ok, so it may be an easy 'fix', but In my opinion, why should I have to fix something on a brand new vehicle?

I didn't complain about it. I said hey, I've got rust on my rotor hats. They said a lot of people mention that. He said he'd see what he could do for me. I'm glad they could help. They cleaned , prepped and refinished them for me.

Thanks for the entertainment

P.S. - As far as the gas goes, it would have been nice if they had used hi - octane at the dealership. But that's ok, you guys taught me the fuse pull and it worked out great
M3NTA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #36
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
I had a problem with one of mine when I bought the car last September and I made the dealer replace it and they did not give me a problem!
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
My rear rotors had a mild coat of rust also. I removed them and used naval jelly to remove all the rust from the valley between the hat and pad area, and in between the vents on the rotor edge. Completely rinse them with water, immediately towel dry, then use an air compressor to blow the excess water out of the vanes on the edge. Use denatured alcohol to clean up the areas to be painted.

Mask off the areas that shouldn't be painted (if I have to explain where don't both doing this.) I used a razor blade and trimmed the excess masking tape around the edge of the valley by the flat part of the rotor and also the edge by the vents to get a nice clean edge. Pick your favorite color of high temp caliper paint and apply several light coats. Let them dry in between sprays.

Mine have held up in rain and car washes. Oddly my fronts never showed signs of rust. Next set of rotors will have aluminum hats.

Oh yeah, I had a DUH moment when trying to pull the first rotor off. Took me a few minutes to remember it won't come off with the parking brake on.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
I had the same rust problem as well mostly on the rears.... First off GM Applies the Zinc coating.. and they do NOT put enough on.. That is the reason why this happens.. The zinc coating comes off more so at car washes (which I do NOT go to) It still happened to me even though I hand wash my car all the time. The crap they spray on the wheels at the car wash will destroy the calipers rotor hubs and exposed metal parts/pins..and exposes the hubs to rust.. Which to me It may not be a dealership problem per say but it is definitely a GM problem and BS that this happens.. 40K for a car and with Wheels as open as the stock wheels are, looking at that disgusting rust is unacceptable..

The rusting hubs gave me the excuse to order a set of brakemotive cross drilled and slotted rotors. I painted the hubs myself to prevent this in the future..

As far as "wasting the dealerships time" I mean really? If they do it they do it.. Good for him he got this done..
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
SoupSS
SoupSS

Drives: 2011 black 2ss rs
Quote:
Ok, so it may be an easy 'fix', but In my opinion, why should I have to fix something on a brand new vehicle?

I didn't complain about it. I said hey, I've got rust on my rotor hats. They said a lot of people mention that. He said he'd see what he could do for me. I'm glad they could help. They cleaned , prepped and refinished them for me.

Thanks for the entertainment

P.S. - As far as the gas goes, it would have been nice if they had used hi - octane at the dealership. But that's ok, you guys taught me the fuse pull and it worked out great
What fuse pull?
SoupSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #40
Camaro427

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupSS View Post
I have a 2011 SS camaro I notice the rotors have some rust on them,does anyone else have this problem?And if so how did you get rid of it?I'm talking about where you bolt the rims to the car not where the brakes hit.
The mounting surface I think is the area you are describing. this area is not plated or painted by Chevrolet. The surface finish is critical for rotor and wheel runout. Clean the area immaculately and especially around the studs. You can try and paint the rotor mounting face with some hi temp paint to reduce the return.
Camaro427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #41
spen5151

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof-Trad
I have never taken my car to the car wash. Never driven it in salt. I do wash the car with water. I have the same problem with some of my rotors. I also noticed today that some of the pins on the front calipers are rusting also. It looks terrible. When you say stuff that the car wash sprays on the wheels what are you referring to? I am thinking of taking my rotors off to clean the rust off and then paint with hi-temp caliper paint, what do you use to clean the rust off the rotors? Here are some pictures of mine.
Attached Images

Traded:
2011 Camaro 2SS IOM, RS, Polished Rims, Sunroof, Black Stripes, Hurst Shifter
Mods: Borla ATAK Cat-Back, CAI Intake, Skip Shift Elim, Tint

Last edited by spen5151; 03-17-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Add Photos
spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #42
Khmero215

Drives: Victory Red 2SS
you can use simply green
Khmero215 is offline   Reply With Quote