Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
kudzu74
Account Suspended

Drives: SS 08' Trailblazer
Question ZL1 Production (optional upgrade or as is)?

I just wanted to start a new thread in regards to optional upgrades to the new ZL1 coming out this next year and get some feedback from the forum. I once again submitted to Chevrolet my question/suggestion to produce the ZL1 with the open rear quarter panels shown on the SEMA 2009 V6 Jay Leno was suppose to get and now seen recently on the special edition 'Transformers' Bumblebee with the ZL1 pre-production in Michigan. Do you all think this should be part of the production instead of the fake gills on the rear quarter panels or at least an option for the build order? If the ZL1 is suppose to be all about performance this makes sense to have something there for brake cooling even Chevrolet should know this due to all the 'hand me downs' from the corvettes over the years. Anyhow, I just wanted to throw this topic out there for some feedback and opinions good or bad...all are welcome. I plan on order/purchasing a ZL1 this next year. On the other side of the coin...what would you think about GM offering classic colors for the ZL1 like the 69s (ie polo green and such) as another type of upgrade for the build sheet. Let me know...Thanks!
kudzu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu74 View Post
I just wanted to start a new thread in regards to optional upgrades to the new ZL1 coming out this next year and get some feedback from the forum. I once again submitted to Chevrolet my question/suggestion to produce the ZL1 with the open rear quarter panels shown on the SEMA 2009 V6 Jay Leno was suppose to get and now seen recently on the special edition 'Transformers' Bumblebee with the ZL1 pre-production in Michigan. Do you all think this should be part of the production instead of the fake gills on the rear quarter panels or at least an option for the build order? If the ZL1 is suppose to be all about performance this makes sense to have something there for brake cooling even Chevrolet should know this due to all the 'hand me downs' from the corvettes over the years. Anyhow, I just wanted to throw this topic out there for some feedback and opinions good or bad...all are welcome. I plan on order/purchasing a ZL1 this next year. On the other side of the coin...what would you think about GM offering classic colors for the ZL1 like the 69s (ie polo green and such) as another type of upgrade for the build sheet. Let me know...Thanks!

it would be awesome to have it open, but good luck. there is no way GM will mass produce this. as for classic colors, i think GM dropped the ball on colors overall. the mustang and challenger all have nice colors and great choices to choose from every year or so.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
the ZL1 with the open rear quarter panels shown on the SEMA 2009 V6 Jay Leno was suppose to get and now seen recently on the special edition 'Transformers' Bumblebee with the ZL1 pre-production in Michigan.

Well, I agree with
CoolestCamaro873. I think GM will try to keep the cost down as much as possible.
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

If they could make a few $ by making functional rear vents an option, I don't see why not. They would certainly be kinda expensive, but I would scratch up enough to go there.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I might be just imagining it, but I seem to recall hearing that opening up the gills & routing true rear brake ducts would be a royal pain, for not much gain. Besides, its the front brakes that need more cooling, not the rear. As evidenced by this Ferrari FXX:
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Disco

Drives: Not Available yet
Seems odd how someone would want an option like this for there daily driven street car or even if you plan on running SCCA with it.
As DGthe3 stated from his pic, most cars use about 70% more breaking on the fronts than rears. ( Motorcycles as well )
If your looking for break cooling you might look into vented rotors and ceramic pads.
2050 01/24/12

Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Camaro rear quarter is the most difficult piece of the car being made. It's a single sheet from the A post, the top over thew windows and the quarter itself. They would need to cut and install a duck in a different operation and that would cost a lot because of inside mods to do also.

Also, GM will build only 500 ZL1. I have a friend that ordered one as a priviledged customer and he was confirmed that only 3 will be delivered in the Province of Québec. Also, there should be one only color, the same that we saw at the Oshawa Plant Tour last june.

It is still early but this is the latest info that I can get so far from good sources.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
Also, GM will build only 500 ZL1.
Not likely in these economic times... Chevrolet would never recover their development costs, even if they charged $200K/car.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Also, GM will build only 500 ZL1. I have a friend that ordered one as a priviledged customer and he was confirmed that only 3 will be delivered in the Province of Québec. Also, there should be one only color, the same that we saw at the Oshawa Plant Tour last june.

It is still early but this is the latest info that I can get so far from good sources.
None of this is in line with the actual facts that have already been released by
GM. We are all wondering what the unreleased info is, we shouldn't have
to dispute these claims in the meantime.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu74 View Post
I once again submitted to Chevrolet my question/suggestion to produce the ZL1 with the open rear quarter panels shown on the SEMA 2009 V6 Jay Leno was suppose to get and now seen recently on the special edition 'Transformers' Bumblebee with the ZL1 pre-production in Michigan. Do you all think this should be part of the production instead of the fake gills on the rear quarter panels or at least an option for the build order? If the ZL1 is suppose to be all about performance this makes sense to have something there for brake cooling even Chevrolet should know this due to all the 'hand me downs' from the corvettes over the years. Anyhow, I just wanted to throw this topic out there for some feedback and opinions good or bad...all are welcome. I plan on order/purchasing a ZL1 this next year. On the other side of the coin...what would you think about GM offering classic colors for the ZL1 like the 69s (ie polo green and such) as another type of upgrade for the build sheet. Let me know...Thanks!
It is entirely possible that those ducts don't actually do anything - depends on the aerodynamics of the car. They might increase drag, reduce downforce, or suck air out instead of force it in. Maybe GM tested these in the wind tunnel and found no gain so they did not add them to the ZL1. Just something to consider - the car might actuall perform better without them.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Also, GM will build only 500 ZL1. ... It is still early but this is the latest info that I can get so far from good sources.
Am I the only one that finds these repeated declarations, which are totally contradictory to any official indication and statement from Chevrolet, that Chevrolet will build only XXX ZL1s as fact, quite tiresome?

At this point, repeating that kind of unconfirmed speculation as fact serves no useful purpose.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
CallMeWonder

Drives: Mercedes E350
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It's easier on 'Vette because of the perimeter-type frame; CAMARO is unibody. Because all the panels on 'Vette are a composite or CF, the don't have to offer any strength to the structure of the car, like CAMARO panels do. Given, CAMARO does have composite rocker moldings, but the rocker pinch weld is right there and cutting into and near pinch welds, into through or around inner and outer wheelhouses and quarter panels for the sake of cooling the rear brakes is not going to be cheap. They are trying to manage the air around the wheels and tires already with the rocker moldings and wheel opening flares on ZL1 and that's all I could reasonable ask. Cutting holes in the side of the car is going to be too expensive and complicated because of CAMARO's unibody structure, which the 'Vette guys don't have to worry about. It would probably be easier to make filler panels for the quarter glasses, and run ducts from the filler panels through holes one would have to cut into the wheelhouses to the brakes. Who would want that monstrocity?

The bottom line is the gills are not going to happen and I'd rather that sort of money go toward more chassis tuning. As DG' pointed out - the front brakes do the bulk of the work anyways. Let's see a Track Pack with some Sport Cup tires, 15.5" front rotors, upgraded pads, more aggressive MR tuning, and stiffer springs and sway bars! That would be worth more than the gills, IMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Am I the only one that finds these repeated declarations, which are totally contradictory to any official indication and statement from Chevrolet, that Chevrolet will build only XXX ZL1s as fact, quite tiresome?

At this point, repeating that kind of unconfirmed speculation as fact serves no useful purpose.

Even though I know on sight that any claimed facts of that sort are mere speculation, most assuredly based on false information, if any at all - yes. They are still very tiresome.

OK, DG and Radz, you have converted me. I think I like the IDEA that they're functional more than anything else, but that cost is better spent elsewhere. I like the gills for cosmetic purposes, and I don't like anything "fake."

Thanks for the info on the structural differences between our Camaro & the 'vettes. That helped me get it into my thick skull.

Last edited by Scarrzz; 08-29-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote