Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
TopFuelTim

Drives: 2002
Temperature Gauge quit working today

Being new to 4th gen Camaros, I wanted to ask if this is common.

We have only had our 2002 V6 automatic Camaro for a couple of weeks, and the temp gage normally reads close to 210 degrees normal operating temperature. It worked this morning, and then this afternoon it wouldn't quite go up to 100. I turned the ignition off, then on again, and watch the needle jump up a little bit, and then that was it.

I did notice the cooling fans were running wide open, and the outside temp was only 45 degrees here in Georgia. However, I had just completed a 17 mile trip. The radiator hose was hot to the touch, and it was quite warm inside the car, so I believe the engine is running at its normal temperature.

Anyone experience this before?

Thank you,
Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
TopFuelTim

Drives: 2002
Figured it out

Hi all,

I went to the Camaro V6 forum, and searched a bit. Turns out the cure is pretty simple, just replace the temperature sender. Apparently, when the computer senses the temp sender malfunctioning, it then tells the cooling fans to come on and run continuously. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Next, I couldn't find the sensor. Back to the forum. That was easy too, turns out it is located under the throttle body. $20 and 10 minutes later it is working again!

I also appreciate the input from y'all on my differential. My daughter's 1989 Camaro is in very sad condition, so she gets to enjoy driving the '02 Camaro for a while.

Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote