Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
Which suspension parts to upgrade?

I'd like input regarding what suspension components I should consider replacing considering my goals below. I'll try to make this as painless as possible. Besides the mods in my sig, I'm having JRE install LPE 3:91 gears, axles, toe links, subframe bushings and trailing arms. Current RWHP is 463. I'm considering lowering the car a bit and I might add a power adder. No track or autocross. Purley a toy, but I want to build it "right". Thanks Mike
Old 02-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
So... what are you asking again?

If youre replacing "gears, axles, toe links, subframe bushings and trailing arms"... what else you you talking about?

All that is really left is springs and sway and ABSOLUTELY replace those!

I just got a one piece drive shaft. Can't wait to install it!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
So... what are you asking again?

If youre replacing "gears, axles, toe links, subframe bushings and trailing arms"... what else you you talking about?

All that is really left is springs and sway and ABSOLUTELY replace those!
Should I consider any other suspension parts considering what I want to do ? And I failed to mention, I'm not very knowledgeable regarding the effect increased HP has on stock suspension.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublefatty View Post
Should I consider any other suspension parts considering what I want to do ? And I failed to mention, I'm not very knowledgeable regarding the effect increased HP has on stock suspension.
Well, the axels are your weak point and youre swapping those.

The trailing arms and toe bars will help elimnate wheel hop.

The upgraded dif should help with the spider gear failure problem.

The subframe bushings will take out the play in the ass end of the car.

Youre pretty much covered.

A one piece driveshaft will help with throttle response.

Springs and sways (with endlings and lower control arm reinforcing bracket) will help with cornering.

Front radius rod inserts or bushings will help keep the front in check while cornbering.

A short throw shifter (MGW is my favorite tho I have Hurst) is a MUST.

With added power you need to stop...

Stainless steel brake lines are a MUST. maybe upgraded pads but at least the lines.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Well, the axels are your weak point and youre swapping those.

The trailing arms and toe bars will help elimnate wheel hop.

The upgraded dif should help with the spider gear failure problem.

The subframe bushings will take out the play in the ass end of the car.

Youre pretty much covered.

A one piece driveshaft will help with throttle response.

Springs and sways (with endlings and lower control arm reinforcing bracket) will help with cornering.

Front radius rod inserts or bushings will help keep the front in check while cornbering.

A short throw shifter (MGW is my favorite tho I have Hurst) is a MUST.

With added power you need to stop...

Stainless steel brake lines are a MUST. maybe upgraded pads but at least the lines.
This is the input I was looking for!!!!!!! thanks very much. really appreciate it
Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

No sweat!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Coilovers!

Looking into doing those. You'll be lowered yet have a smoother ride and if for some reason you decide to got drag racing or auto-X then a couple twist of some knobs and you're ready do go.

With the money it looks as though you're spending, look into Pfadt coilovers.

Otherwise I agree with IROCanSS on the other parts.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Coilovers!

Looking into doing those. You'll be lowered yet have a smoother ride and if for some reason you decide to got drag racing or auto-X then a couple twist of some knobs and you're ready do go.

I figure you only live once, so as long as I can mod my car the way I want and only have to Ebay one kidney, I'm good...

Thanks for the input guy's.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Coilovers!

Thanks but i have to disagree.... I know coilovers are all the rage but really? Every time you change them you need an alignment (or you can eat up your tires).

Sure if you are an all out autoX or drag racer for competition or something, great... or you have money to burn but for the weekend toy that may see the track once or twice... they are a TOTAL waste of money. Just look up the prices of Pfadt drop springs vs Pfadt coilovers. I think they are 8 to 10 times more expensive.

Hey, like I said its your cash and if you have it to burn, go ahead but it isnt like all of a sudden your car will go from a sloppy mess and you'll turn a few knobs and its a race car... the weekend racer wont even notice the difference.

Quote:
I figure you only live once, so as long as I can mod my car the way I want and only have to Ebay one kidney, I'm good...

Thanks for the input guy's.
LOL, you wont need to post that second kidney until you want a supercharger.

I hope you understood where I am coming from with the coils. I have drop springs and all the other stuff I listed.... I'd never swap out for coils. I have a custom race alignment and the car is on rails, I have no need to ever change it so why spend up to $2000 for coils. My springs cost me $200 shipped to my door.

To me, unless youre hard core (which your OP says you are not) they are wasting money. Use the other $1800 for a nice Carbon Fiber drive shaft and the leftovers for Pfadt engine mounts! Dont just toss money away...

my 2 cents...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Thanks but i have to disagree.... I know coilovers are all the rage but really? Every time you change them you need an alignment (or you can eat up your tires).

Sure if you are an all out autoX or drag racer for competition or something, great... or you have money to burn but for the weekend toy that may see the track once or twice... they are a TOTAL waste of money. Just look up the prices of Pfadt drop springs vs Pfadt coilovers. I think they are 8 to 10 times more expensive.

Hey, like I said its your cash and if you have it to burn, go ahead but it isnt like all of a sudden your car will go from a sloppy mess and you'll turn a few knobs and its a race car... the weekend racer wont even notice the difference.

LOL, you wont need to post that second kidney until you want a supercharger.

I hope you understood where I am coming from with the coils. I have drop springs and all the other stuff I listed.... I'd never swap out for coils. I have a custom race alignment and the car is on rails, I have no need to ever change it so why spend up to $2000 for coils. My springs cost me $200 shipped to my door.

To me, unless youre hard core (which your OP says you are not) they are wasting money. Use the other $1800 for a nice Carbon Fiber drive shaft and the leftovers for Pfadt engine mounts! Dont just toss money away...

my 2 cents...
Couldn't agree with you more. Coilovers would be overkill for me considering how I "use" my car. I may be a noob when it comes to some car stuff, but I always do my homework.... I'd rather spend the dough where it makes most sense for what I'm trying to build.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. Coilovers would be overkill for me considering how I "use" my car. I may be a noob when it comes to some car stuff, but I always do my homework.... I'd rather spend the dough where it makes most sense for what I'm trying to build.
The C5 community provides a wealth of information. Check out THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension to get more detail about suspension, thermal management, headers, exhaust, brakes wheels and tires.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Camaro427

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Quote:
I'd like input regarding what suspension components I should consider replacing considering my goals below. I'll try to make this as painless as possible. Besides the mods in my sig, I'm having JRE install LPE 3:91 gears, axles, toe links, subframe bushings and trailing arms. Current RWHP is 463. I'm considering lowering the car a bit and I might add a power adder. No track or autocross. Purley a toy, but I want to build it "right". Thanks Mike
You must have a goal in mind. Doing the gear change is a serious step. What did you hope to accomplish with the change?
Camaro427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro427 View Post
You must have a goal in mind. Doing the gear change is a serious step. What did you hope to accomplish with the change?
Since I'm not focusing on top end speed, the different gear ratio should give me the lower/mid-range torque/fun factor I'm trying to attain.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #14
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Since I'm not focusing on top end speed, the different gear ratio should give me the lower/mid-range torque/fun factor I'm trying to attain.
Yes...you'll love the gears, they make a huge difference.