Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Brandonmos

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Winter GoodYear Tire Care?

Well, its already hitting the 40's in beautiful central Kansas and with that i have a question. My 1LE will be sitting out in the cold which can drop to single digits, there's no way around it- i'm a barracks soldier so i don't have a garage- much less a "heated area".

What i want to know is if there is a heater of some sort that runs every so often maybe some sort of tire warmers heated covers...? (and no i cant afford a set of winter tires and rims)

(I am aware the GOODYEAR bulletin says to NOT use heaters directly on the rubber but i really don't have a choice one way or the other...)

P.S: For the "shouldn't have gotten a summer car- i was not aware id be in Kansas when i got it haha)
Old 10-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Wileycoyote

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
I would try wrapping a heavy moving blanket around each tire then putting a outdoor car cover over the car on nights that its going to get that cold. It should be a quick and easy way to protect those tires. You can probably get 4 blankets and car cover for the price of 1 tire.
Wileycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Brandonmos

i think thats my best course of action. thanks for the idea!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
LRJet35

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Can you put the car up on jack stands and take the wheels off and store them inside somewhere?
LRJet35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Brandonmos

Unfortunately not, since my building is also where i work the superiors make sure it looks "presentable" at all times and i guess disassembled cars aren't good decoration haha.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Put a high quality car cover over it too?
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Not sure if these have any insulating properties or not...
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...y=Tire+Storage

Do you have to drive in the cold or just store? The way I read the bulletins, they just need to slowly warm back up if exposed to temps below 20F.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #8
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
The problem isn't necessarily the temp, but moving the car at those temps. If the car is simply parked (ie: not being moved), there shouldn't be an issue.

If you need to drive when it's that cold, you will need to get a new set of tires.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Zorns

Drives: ?
Temperature controlled auto storage area? I'm fairly certain that the bulletins on these tires state that cracking of the rubber will occur under 40 degrees F.
Zorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
There are two things to be aware of with these tires. Below 40 degrees you will have limited traction as the rubber compounds will harden. Below 20 degrees is an absolute do not drive scenario as the rubber compounds can't handle those temperatures, they simply can't flex enough without cracking.

If the car is sitting it will be ok below 20 degrees IF the tires gradually cool down to that temperature and then warm back up to higher temps over time. With the way the compounds are made, at those low temps they cannot take sudden temperature changes. The recommendation is to allow the cool down or warm up to take place over a 24 hour period. So for winter storage they should be ok. However, the Goodyear recommendation is to store the tires above freezing temps. But I'm also sure that these tires are shipped on trucks and sitting in warehouses that are not necessarily heated all the time either.

For myself, I scored a heck of a deal on heated storage for the winter so I won't need to worry about it. I'd rather do that than take the risk of having to buy new tires next year.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
1bad1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Are the Goodyears different than other summer tires? I had Hankooks on my G8 and drove it year round. It wasn't great in the cold but by no means undriveable.
1bad1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Full Lock
Evasive Maneuvers

Drives: SIM '15 1SS 1LE
Don't think it would be a problem to drive on them in cooler temps. I've driven on lower compound tires in the winter than the g2's and they have been fine. But they will have a lot less grip than the warmer months so you just have to putt it around. Low grip is prob what Goodyear is worried about IMO.
I'm actually going to be driving my 1le to Colorado from Pennsylvania when I move in january. Or may ship it depending on weather cause snow is a no go for sure
Full Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
1bad1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Lock View Post
Or may ship it depending on weather cause snow is a no go for sure
Yep, a hockey puck comes to mind!
1bad1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Some 1LE's will sit on car lots all winter so I don't think that will be an issue, but I wouldn't drive on them, GM has made it clear, not worth the risk IMO.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote