Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #253
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Nice Industrial Design :-)
Thank you.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #254
mreyna16

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 2SS
Sorry if its been asked before and sorry if I sound like if Idk what im doing, but how exactly do I remove the pcv hose without breaking it? I know theres a clip but to where do I pull it or what direction do I twist?

Also, the other end of the hose is just pull out?

And last, the manual said it comes with 4 corbin clamps, I only got two... are the other two not needed anymore?
mreyna16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #255
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreyna16 View Post
Sorry if its been asked before and sorry if I sound like if Idk what im doing, but how exactly do I remove the pcv hose without breaking it? I know theres a clip but to where do I pull it or what direction do I twist?

Also, the other end of the hose is just pull out?

And last, the manual said it comes with 4 corbin clamps, I only got two... are the other two not needed anymore?
If you refer to our installation instructions at the link below it will give you a good look at the PCV line connection and how to disconnect it.

Only two corbin clamps are needed. That is an error in our instructions that has not been updated yet. The hoses lock onto the push lock fittings so there is no need for them there. You only need them on the end that attaches to the engine and even there they are over kill.

http://www.apex-speed.com/installation.html
Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #256
mreyna16

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
If you refer to our installation instructions at the link below it will give you a good look at the PCV line connection and how to disconnect it.

Only two corbin clamps are needed. That is an error in our instructions that has not been updated yet. The hoses lock onto the push lock fittings so there is no need for them there. You only need them on the end that attaches to the engine and even there they are over kill.

http://www.apex-speed.com/installation.html
Thanks for the reply chase, yea thats the instructions im using... unfortunately I cant tell what way the clip is being bent, im sure its simplr but again I dont wanna break it from pulling it the wrong direction
mreyna16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #257
RodParis

Drives: 2014 2SS Spring Edition Convertible
What's the difference between a clean-side separator and a catch can? Do they work together or are they the same thing? I've decided to pull the triiger on a CAI intake and am leaning towards an RX catch can with clean side separator.... However, I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two.

I read (but now can't find) where Chase (I think) listed some of the best catch cans, but can't find it. Is RX the goto choice, or are there better options?

Thanks for putting up with us newbies - my car is enroute to Iowa so I need to pop on this stuff....
Dual Exhaust
Purchased - April 7, 2014
Current build week: May 5, 2014

Build Code: RSDPWQ
RodParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #258
RodParis

It also appears that a throttle body is the next obvious add-on....

Keep in mind, boys and girls, that I'm not a mechanic, don't want to be, but these items see pretty easy for DIY'er.

With a throttle body, CAI and catch can, would I have problems with any warrantey items and/or do I need to do any tuning - I think no on both counts based upon you all's input..... Thanks Rod
Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #259
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodParis View Post
What's the difference between a clean-side separator and a catch can? Do they work together or are they the same thing? I've decided to pull the triiger on a CAI intake and am leaning towards an RX catch can with clean side separator.... However, I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two.

I read (but now can't find) where Chase (I think) listed some of the best catch cans, but can't find it. Is RX the goto choice, or are there better options?

Thanks for putting up with us newbies - my car is enroute to Iowa so I need to pop on this stuff....
There are two sides to the PCV system: the dirty side and the clean side. As their names suggest, the dirty dis is responsible for about 95% of the blow by getting to your engine. When you install a catch can it is on the dirty side. The clean side accounts for that final 5% and a clean side separator is what you install if you want to address that as well.

The Apex, RX, and Elite are the 3 best systems available for the Camaro hands down.

Quote:
It also appears that a throttle body is the next obvious add-on....

Keep in mind, boys and girls, that I'm not a mechanic, don't want to be, but these items see pretty easy for DIY'er.

With a throttle body, CAI and catch can, would I have problems with any warrantey items and/or do I need to do any tuning - I think no on both counts based upon you all's input..... Thanks Rod
All three are pretty easy installs and no tuning is required.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #260
RodParis

I've read this thread cover-to-cover and was planning on an RX catch can with CCS and the breather cap. At one point, there was discussion about the breather cap and someone relayed a significant problem they had as a result and a couple of other folks had taken there's off.

What's the recommendation for the oil fill cap? Yes or no?

My paranoia has increased exponentially about driving my brand new SS at all without a catch can. May have it trucked from teh dealership home! If I were to go APEX, for example, is the a CCS that goes with the can, or is that a separate system/purchase?

Chase - what are the lead times on Rx Cans and CCS? What about APEX cans? I'm expecting the car next week. Thanks Rod
Dual Exhaust

Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #261
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I've read this thread cover-to-cover and was planning on an RX catch can with CCS and the breather cap. At one point, there was discussion about the breather cap and someone relayed a significant problem they had as a result and a couple of other folks had taken there's off.

What's the recommendation for the oil fill cap? Yes or no?

My paranoia has increased exponentially about driving my brand new SS at all without a catch can. May have it trucked from teh dealership home! If I were to go APEX, for example, is the a CCS that goes with the can, or is that a separate system/purchase?

Chase - what are the lead times on Rx Cans and CCS? What about APEX cans? I'm expecting the car next week. Thanks Rod
Don't get too worked up. You are not going to destroy your engine. Carbon buildup is a long term accumulation problem. Obviously you want to get a catch can on the dirty side. That is responsible for 95% of oil blow by. If you also want to address the other 5% from clean side then I would recommend either a GM 1LE separator or the RX separator.

Apex catch cans are in stock and can ship today. RX keeps cans on the shelf these days but they are unpainted so there is a lead for paint. You are probably looking at a couple days lead depending on weather and order volume.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #262
RodParis

Okay Chase - order placed. Talked to the lovely Victoria - the Southahn twang is charming. Anyway, CAI, RX can and CSS and throttle body. Thanks for the help.

I skipped the oil fill cap - not sure about that one.
Dual Exhaust

Old 05-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #263
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Okay Chase - order placed. Talked to the lovely Victoria - the Southahn twang is charming. Anyway, CAI, RX can and CSS and throttle body. Thanks for the help.

I skipped the oil fill cap - not sure about that one.
Thank you for your order. Glad to know she took good care of you.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #264
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
I currently run the RX can but I really like your new LLT set up with the bracket. How much is your Catch Can and Bracket?
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #265
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
I currently run the RX can but I really like your new LLT set up with the bracket. How much is your Catch Can and Bracket?
$189.99
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #266
Apex Motorsports

2011Black2SS took his ZL1 on a weekend road trip to Florida last weekend. Can was empty when he left and this is what he collected over 2015 highway miles.

Tags
apex catch can, apex motorsports, catch can, elite engineering catch can, rx catch can