Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #85
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
But will any of us sill be around in 2, 5, to 10 years from now? I think that I'm a pretty safe driver, my Behind The Wheel teacher said I was one of the best students he's had. Not even a complete year of having my permit, I've got a little over 100 hours of driving in, we're supposed to have 50 to get a license.
I've bolded and underlined the relevant parts of that post. You are an inexperienced driver, in a few years you'll look back and have a much different perspective.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #86
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
Also your dad could always get a 1LT or 2LT with the RS package if you would be happy with that after college.

The car I took to college was already a POS, so I didn't care, but there were so many dings and scratches on it after college that weren't on it before, it was crazy.
Again, an LT would be pushing the budget that they want to spend. They don't want to spend over $20k. We have 4 or 5 thousand on our GM card towards the purchase of a new vehicle. The price for an LT is already close to 27 thousand.

College would be a pain the arse with a nice car, yes. But if I park WAY out there, that would probably avoid most of the dings and scratches.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #87
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Again, an LT would be pushing the budget that they want to spend. They don't want to spend over $20k. We have 4 or 5 thousand on our GM card towards the purchase of a new vehicle. The price for an LT is already close to 27 thousand.

College would be a pain the arse with a nice car, yes. But if I park WAY out there, that would probably avoid most of the dings and scratches.
The problem with campuses, at least where I went to school, is that there is no such thing as WAY out there. Parking is in high demand on campus and you aren't going to find many places that you have your own corner of the parking lot very often.

You ought to be able to find a 1LT for about $25k which with the GM card points would put you in the $20k range.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #88
bcperry
Engineer in Training

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Well I just figure that I'll throw in my 2 cents.

My wife owns a '12 Cruze, fully loaded. I have a '10 LS, with no options. So, I kind of see both sides. Now, my wife and I are both 21, and with only one ticket between us and no accidents, out insurance isn't terrible. mine is 900 a year, and hers is almost the same. That being said, one thing to think about is gas mileage, which will be important for when you go to college, and just as a general token of how much money you will save in the long run. The Camaro is a fantastic car, but I must say that I would not have been ready for the power at 16, even in the V6, that the car puts out. I almost killed myself too many times with my '01 Eclipse GT, and it had a hundred fewer horses. Not to mention that the Eclipse was a front wheel drive.

I would not put out the Cruze. I really like my wife's car. With the RS package, it's very good looking, it's as powerful as my Eclipse was, especially with the tune. Plus, you can get a loaded car for the same price as a stripped Camaro. On top of that, you go farther per tank (which means either not asking for gas money as much or not paying as much if you work) and you pay less in insurance. The heated seats and leather make it very nice. You don't realize how nice until you don't have it.

As for the Camaro. I love my car. I don't have words to describe how much I love it. There again, I wanted a stripped car, so I could do my own modifications. I must add that I wish I had all of the things that my wife's car has. Sure it has great looks, and tons of power, but are you responsible enough to drive it and not endanger yourself or others on the road? I'm not trying to be degrading, I am just know how I was when I was 16. Can you trust yourself to not "see how fast she'll go" just because the road's empty and your friend in the car wants to? I know I couldn't.

There is also the modding ability. The Cruze is actually more established right now. Modding on my LLT is limited, and the LFX in the new 6's is not very well established. So there's that.

Another thing. I thought I was a fantastic driver when I was 16 too. BUT..... You don't realize how terrible of a driver you really were until you're older. When nobody is in the car with you, or if a friend is with you, you are not the same driver you are with your parents/ in drivers ed. I have said it before, I don't know how I survived my teenage years. I am lucky to have, and now I have a much greater appreciation for the awesome responsibility that driving is.

In the end, be grateful no matter what you get They are both excellent cars, and you'll be happy with either one. Please though, be safe when you drive. It is a far greater responsibility that you realize now.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #89
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post
I've bolded and underlined the relevant parts of that post. You are an inexperienced driver, in a few years you'll look back and have a much different perspective.
I know that you're correct about this, but when I'm older, I want to look back and say that my first car was my dream car. Actually my dream car is a ZL1, but a LS is close enough. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Cruze, it's safe, it's fun, and it's cheaper. A Camaro probably would be close in safety, a lot more fun, and yes, more expensive. It comes down to needs and wants. I don't absolutely need a car. I don't absolutely need a sports car. What would tires be an extra $100 to $150 for every 30-40k miles?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #90
Garret

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Victory Red
cheap camaro 16 yrs old prolly not a good idea lol, im 20 and insurance is cheaper on my 2SS then it would have been on a 2LT just sayin, more irresponsible drivers own cheaper cars and thus insurance companies tend to charge more for cars more likely to be in accidents.. best of luck tho I would take the camaro swap them wheels and the general public wont know the difference :P
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #91
jkupa10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcperry View Post

My wife owns a '12 Cruze, fully loaded. I have a '10 LS, with no options. So, I kind of see both sides. Now, my wife and I are both 21, and with only one ticket between us and no accidents, out insurance isn't terrible. mine is 900 a year, and hers is almost the same. That being said, one thing to think about is gas mileage, which will be important for when you go to college, and just as a general token of how much money you will save in the long run. The Camaro is a fantastic car, but I must say that I would not have been ready for the power at 16, even in the V6, that the car puts out. I almost killed myself too many times with my '01 Eclipse GT, and it had a hundred fewer horses. Not to mention that the Eclipse was a front wheel drive.

I would not put out the Cruze. I really like my wife's car. With the RS package, it's very good looking, it's as powerful as my Eclipse was, especially with the tune. Plus, you can get a loaded car for the same price as a stripped Camaro. On top of that, you go farther per tank (which means either not asking for gas money as much or not paying as much if you work) and you pay less in insurance. The heated seats and leather make it very nice. You don't realize how nice until you don't have it.

As for the Camaro. I love my car. I don't have words to describe how much I love it. There again, I wanted a stripped car, so I could do my own modifications. I must add that I wish I had all of the things that my wife's car has. Sure it has great looks, and tons of power, but are you responsible enough to drive it and not endanger yourself or others on the road? I'm not trying to be degrading, I am just know how I was when I was 16. Can you trust yourself to not "see how fast she'll go" just because the road's empty and your friend in the car wants to? I know I couldn't.

There is also the modding ability. The Cruze is actually more established right now. Modding on my LLT is limited, and the LFX in the new 6's is not very well established. So there's that.

Another thing. I thought I was a fantastic driver when I was 16 too. BUT..... You don't realize how terrible of a driver you really were until you're older. When nobody is in the car with you, or if a friend is with you, you are not the same driver you are with your parents/ in drivers ed. I have said it before, I don't know how I survived my teenage years. I am lucky to have, and now I have a much greater appreciation for the awesome responsibility that driving is.

In the end, be grateful no matter what you get They are both excellent cars, and you'll be happy with either one. Please though, be safe when you drive. It is a far greater responsibility that you realize now.

If you won't hear it from me, Listen to this guy.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #92
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
The problem with campuses, at least where I went to school, is that there is no such thing as WAY out there. Parking is in high demand on campus and you aren't going to find many places that you have your own corner of the parking lot very often.

You ought to be able to find a 1LT for about $25k which with the GM card points would put you in the $20k range.
If there's a 1LT out there with a stick for $25k, I think we'd definitely get that. So far, we haven't been to the dealership yet. We're going on Saturday. The college I plan on going to is 15 minutes from my house and has really good parking. It's not a huge college, and it has nicer lots if you pay more.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #93
bcperry
Engineer in Training

Quote:
I know that you're correct about this, but when I'm older, I want to look back and say that my first car was my dream car. Actually my dream car is a ZL1, but a LS is close enough. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Cruze, it's safe, it's fun, and it's cheaper. A Camaro probably would be close in safety, a lot more fun, and yes, more expensive. It comes down to needs and wants. I don't absolutely need a car. I don't absolutely need a sports car. What would tires be an extra $100 to $150 for every 30-40k miles?
I wanted my dream car as a first car too, but man, am I glad that it wasn't a 'Vette. I promise you. A buddy of mine with an '03 Cobra died while street racing. That would have been me, I promise you.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #94
Stack4

Quote:

I really appreciate your 2 cents. I think I can live without all the leather and other nice options. My dad's Cobalt has I think around 250 HP, and that thing is fast! When in college, I figure I'll be using about a gallon of gas a day if I only go there once a day. In the Cruze, it would be cheaper, but like what, $6 a week? I am getting a job over the summer (my parents don't want me to work during the school year) and that money will be mostly spent on gas. If I test drive the Camaro, and I feel that I couldn't handle all that power, I doubt I'll get it.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #95
Stack4

Quote:
I wanted my dream car as a first car too, but man, am I glad that it wasn't a 'Vette. I promise you. A buddy of mine with an '03 Cobra died while street racing. That would have been me, I promise you.
Yeah, that's what my dad was telling me. His friend had a GTO when they were in High School and the guy was doing like 120 down Main street with a couple people in his car at like 3 in the morning, rolled it, and they all died.

Actually last year, a senior at my school had a Corvette GS. He wrecked it going pretty fast. His parents punished him...by buying him a SS. Way to show him!

Last edited by Stack4; 10-25-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added last story
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #96
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post

If you won't hear it from me, Listen to this guy.
I know that it's kind of coming across that I'm not listening to you, but I am. I'm sure you know that teenagers put wants over being practical. I think I'll be responsible enough to have a Camaro for my first car, so do my parents. But I have only driven my mom's car a few times and it was TONS of fun. Truthfully, I can barely handle my dad's Cobalt.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #97
bcperry
Engineer in Training

Quote:
Yeah, that's what my dad was telling me. His friend had a GTO when they were in High School and the guy was doing like 120 down Main street with a couple people in his car at like 3 in the morning, rolled it, and they all died.

Actually last year, a senior at my school had a Corvette GS. He wrecked it going pretty fast. His parents punished him...by buying him a SS. Way to show him!
I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I just remember how immortal I thought I was at 16. I wish I had someone to tell me then what I am telling you now.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #98
jkupa10

Quote:
I know that it's kind of coming across that I'm not listening to you, but I am. I'm sure you know that teenagers put wants over being practical. I think I'll be responsible enough to have a Camaro for my first car, so do my parents. But I have only driven my mom's car a few times and it was TONS of fun. Truthfully, I can barely handle my dad's Cobalt.
See here's the thing, this whole thread you talk about being responsible and then say things like this:

"I'm sure you know that teenagers put wants over being practical."
"But I have only driven my mom's car a few times and it was TONS of fun."
"Truthfully, I can barely handle my dad's Cobalt."

And I could go through the thread and find plenty more, but I won't.

Which leads me to believe you are NOT responsible. How many people have already told you now that they are older they knew they were not responsible enough for a Camaro at 16? I know I wasn't, heck I'm probably still not. You WANT a Camaro and your parents are going to be the ones paying the bills. They are going to be responsible for you. Do you even realize that much? You're a minor, in their car, on their insurance, they're liable for what you do. If you're truly responsible you wouldn't be putting yourself or your family in this situation.

Quote:
I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I just remember how immortal I thought I was at 16. I wish I had someone to tell me then what I am telling you now.
We are trying to give you this advantage.