Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
jwil0587

Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Exclamation 2011 LLT bolt ons performance help

Hello,

I'm new to posting on this forum. Although I have read things on it constantly. I have an '11 v6 LLT. Heres the question I want to know what breaks at what horsepower as well as any info/dyno numbers we have on the following parts. Finally and tips/suggestions/knowledge will be gratefully accepted about a tune when all things are complete.

Cold air intake - dyno numbers vs stock?
Exhaust cut outs before mufflers - dyno numbers ?
vmax black iceolator - before after etc
Zex Nos kit - before,after,insight, good idea bad idea?
Trifecta tune vs HP tuners local dyno tune.
- is it possible to get a ghost cam with hptuners like from trifecta?
Anything else I should consider getting?

I'll start posting pictures asap, so far the only thing done is the cold air and exhaust cut outs.

Side note - anyone have a set of headers and/or highflow cats for sale? (not pacesetter)
jwil0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
My car is an SS, but the dyno numbers for the cutouts are an additional 7.5 RWHP when open, so your V6 will probably he 75% of that.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Cold air intake - dyno numbers vs stock? = Generally in the 15 to 19hp there is a indepent test that is on here somewhere and it will be posted (I don't know where it is) but it shows the top 5 cai's for the LLT. But this is an excellent buy, you'll enjoy it

Exhaust cut outs before mufflers - dyno numbers ? - Not sure but with our cars they sound awesome when idling but not so great when driving around like the SS's do

vmax black iceolator - before after etc - heard around 15, haven't done it since I might go FI and those two don't go together

Zex Nos kit - before,after,insight, good idea bad idea? - I don't like Nitrous but that's just me, a few guys on here are running some smoothly

Trifecta tune vs HP tuners local dyno tune. Is it possible to get a ghost cam with hptuners like from trifecta? I wouldn't go Trifecta, it's a one man show and sometimes updates are hard to get, I know recently people have been having trouble with the communication. Also I know that some running the ghost cam were having problems so that seemed it was hit or miss and not independent of one factor or another so I stayed away. I went IPF but HPTuners is working on the LLT currently and that should be good news, but getting a dyno tune is always the best option

Long tube headers (BBK etc). Especially since you are wanting to get a tune anyways.

As well as an exhaust. Axle backs work the best since they get a small hp boost but there are full catbacks that get a tiny bit more but the axle backs are cheaper so better bang for the buck. In that area I would recommend MRT v2.

And a Vmax Ported throttle body will be nice, eliminates the throttle dead spot, no real hp increase but you can feel it.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Independent testing nicely done by Jannetty Racing on the V6 with various cai's is here. Data is getiing old so all the current players are not represented and some manufacturers have refused (uhm, I mean requested not) to be evaluated. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=1&output=html

HP tuners is still dangling their carrot that a tuning package is coming for the LLT, but it has yet to materialize. I can't help but continue to hold my breath as they would likely have a superior product and I would wait til you're done with your bolt-ons in the hope they come thru.

Vmax iceolator doesn't give a great deal of peak power increase but more than makes up for that with improved mid-range performance- like 20-25 more hp/torque in the 3-4K RPM range (where most people operate their car). It's a relatively easy install, inexpensive, and the best bang-for-yur-buck IMHO.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwil0587 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to posting on this forum. Although I have read things on it constantly. I have an '11 v6 LLT. Heres the question I want to know what breaks at what horsepower as well as any info/dyno numbers we have on the following parts. Finally and tips/suggestions/knowledge will be gratefully accepted about a tune when all things are complete.

Cold air intake - dyno numbers vs stock? I generally would say 15peak rwhp...more or less depending on what you go with.
Exhaust cut outs before mufflers - dyno numbers ? Will sound loud and mean, but really only give you a few more HP
vmax black iceolator - before after etc This doesn't add much peak HP (maybe 5 - 7) but had a nice kick in the midrange where you really want the gains. Has shown to add around 20HP and 20TQ in the midrange
Zex Nos kit - before,after,insight, good idea bad idea? Depends on how much you spray. Can do small shots, all the way up to 150 shots. People have had good luck on nitrous, but you just have to make sure you've done your homework, and your setup is safe.
Trifecta tune vs HP tuners local dyno tune. Go with an IPF tune, or wait to see what happens with HPTuners releases their tune for the LLT. Supposed to be out soon (guessing a month or two at least). IPF will be a mailer tune only, unless you happen to live close to one of their dealers whom can do a dyno tune for you, but its unlikely. HPTuner will have better access for a real dyno tune. either should be a good choice in my opinion.
- is it possible to get a ghost cam with hptuners like from trifecta? I'd forget about the ghost cam.
Anything else I should consider getting? Consider a VMax ported throttle body for better throttle response and low end.

I'll start posting pictures asap, so far the only thing done is the cold air and exhaust cut outs.

Side note - anyone have a set of headers and/or highflow cats for sale? (not pacesetter)
Remember you can't add up all the increased dyno numbers like a math problem...it doesn't work that way. See my responses above...those numbers could be achieved if they were installed indepently on an otherwise stock car.

With all the bolt ons installed...it shouldn't cause anything to break due to the amount of power. You have to get into forced induction before you reach a power level where things will begin breaking.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
My car is an SS, but the dyno numbers for the cutouts are an additional 7.5 RWHP when open, so your V6 will probably he 75% of that.
false for me, i actually lose hp with them open
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
jwil0587

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
false for me, i actually lose hp with them open
I had the exhaust cut outs on recently, however my butt dyno says i'm getting more top end power. I agree with the other post as well that it sounds good idling but driving around not so much.

Also about the dyno tune hptuners/trifecta, I talked to a local shop today and they said they could bring me in and do a "snapshot" of my computer and send the info to hptuners and they would unlock it for him to be able to tune me. Is this even possible?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
jwil0587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
Cold air intake - dyno numbers vs stock? = Generally in the 15 to 19hp there is a indepent test that is on here somewhere and it will be posted (I don't know where it is) but it shows the top 5 cai's for the LLT. But this is an excellent buy, you'll enjoy it

Exhaust cut outs before mufflers - dyno numbers ? - Not sure but with our cars they sound awesome when idling but not so great when driving around like the SS's do

vmax black iceolator - before after etc - heard around 15, haven't done it since I might go FI and those two don't go together

Zex Nos kit - before,after,insight, good idea bad idea? - I don't like Nitrous but that's just me, a few guys on here are running some smoothly

Trifecta tune vs HP tuners local dyno tune. Is it possible to get a ghost cam with hptuners like from trifecta? I wouldn't go Trifecta, it's a one man show and sometimes updates are hard to get, I know recently people have been having trouble with the communication. Also I know that some running the ghost cam were having problems so that seemed it was hit or miss and not independent of one factor or another so I stayed away. I went IPF but HPTuners is working on the LLT currently and that should be good news, but getting a dyno tune is always the best option

Long tube headers (BBK etc). Especially since you are wanting to get a tune anyways.

As well as an exhaust. Axle backs work the best since they get a small hp boost but there are full catbacks that get a tiny bit more but the axle backs are cheaper so better bang for the buck. In that area I would recommend MRT v2.

And a Vmax Ported throttle body will be nice, eliminates the throttle dead spot, no real hp increase but you can feel it.

another quick question. How does the IPF tune work? similar to trifecta example they send you a base tune you data log send back etc? Or are they set up completely different?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
I had the exhaust cut outs on recently, however my butt dyno says i'm getting more top end power. I agree with the other post as well that it sounds good idling but driving around not so much.

Also about the dyno tune hptuners/trifecta, I talked to a local shop today and they said they could bring me in and do a "snapshot" of my computer and send the info to hptuners and they would unlock it for him to be able to tune me. Is this even possible?
No...not currently. They are still finalizing their tuning capabilities for the LLT. As I mentioned above, they are close.

Quote:
another quick question. How does the IPF tune work? similar to trifecta example they send you a base tune you data log send back etc? Or are they set up completely different?
It works similarly to Trifecta. You tell them what mods you have any any specifics you may want tuned for your transmission. They send you a module. You then tune your car. At that point I'm not sure if they datalog and tweak/resend tune like Trifecta does, but overal the process is similar.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Remember you can't add up all the increased dyno numbers like a math problem...it doesn't work that way. See my responses above...those numbers could be achieved if they were installed indepently on an otherwise stock car.

With all the bolt ons installed...it shouldn't cause anything to break due to the amount of power. You have to get into forced induction before you reach a power level where things will begin breaking.

I know I was just giving separate numbers since he probably won't do all and pick and choose based off stock plus the added HP from the specific part. But yep all together won't get the gain by adding the guessed numbers. But thats why we have dynos.

Yeah the ipf tune works the same. You tell them your mods they send you the tune. You plug it in reads your stock ecu. Go back to the computer plug it in. Sees your stock tune puts the new tune in the module plug that into your car and its all tuned. Then you send it back. Easy process took like 10 minutes.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
OP.............Have you looked thru this thread yet?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16893

Some good information in this one.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
jwil0587

Thanks for the info I contacted IPF yesterday as well as emailed trifecta. The IPF tune is going to be approximately $500. And that price is with a discount for being a car forum member. Seem quite expensive to me, but on the plus side the guy on the phone I talked with was very informative and helpful. I think I may just wait until HP tuners have came out with a tune for my car and get a local shop to do it. They only charge 300 for dyno time and a tune.

Does that sounds reasonable?

Tags
cold air intake, exhaust, nos, tune, vmax