Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Positive Battery Cable issue (not near starter)

While I was checking out the engine compartment of my 1SS yesterday, I noticed an issue with the routing of the positive battery cable on the driver's side of the engine. This is NOT the battery cable issue involved in the recall for the SS (V8) engines, but it's similar in nature.

I noticed that the black plastic wire wrap around the positive battery cable was being cut by the driver's side motor mount since there was direct contact with the motor mount. I moved the positive cable away from the motor mount to make sure it was in fact beginning to cut into the wire wrap covering and it was.

I located another cable running near the positive battery cable on the driver's side that I could secure the positive battery cable to. This moved the cable far enough away to avoid the rubbing of the positive battery cable against the driver's side motor mount.

I'm not sure if this is a V8 only thing or only an issue with my 1SS Camaro.

I thought I would post the info and my workaround to see if others see the same thing with the Camaros.

Robert
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
shiftz33

I guess I'm the SS owner with this issue. Interesting.....

Either SS owners haven't checked or you don't have the issue.

The second picture where I used a zip tie to move the cable forward (away from rubbing on the driver's side motor mount) seems to be working fine for the past couple of weeks.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Shouldn't that all have been checked as far as the cable recall went?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
shiftz33

The positive battery cable recall issue is only documented as a problem on the passenger side by the starter/motor mount.

I would hope the tech performing the recall work would inspect the entire cable but certainly that was not the case for my Camaro.

The black plastic casing around the positive battery cable was being cut by the motor mount on the driver's side. It would only have been a matter of time before the motor mount would have start cutting into the positive battery cable as well.

My work around is simple and seems to be working.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
shiftz33

I pointed this issue out when I had my Camaro in for service this week. The service writer stated they had created a "problem report" (I think that's what he called it) for this.

He agreed this could be a problem if it was left to continue rubbing on the motor mount. The fix is simple enough.