Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
josephs8

Drives: 2011 Yellow 2LT RS Camaro
Nail in tire

So I went to get into my car the other day, and noticed the pressure was low, I filled it up and just thought that it was because it was really cold out. Well the next day I go out and the tire pressure is at 12! So I inspected the tire, and find that there is a 2 inch nail directly in the tread of the tire. I was trying to think where I could have gotten a nail in my tire, and then I moved my car. And found several nails on the ground. Well then it dawned on me my landlord had been working on building a storage building a few spots down from my spot, and sure enough one of the nails looked like it came out of some drywall that they used for the inside of the building.

I am going to talk to the manager tomorrow about, but what would be my options if they didnt pay for it? I dont think insurance will cover this.

Last edited by josephs8; 11-08-2012 at 03:18 PM.
josephs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Well if you don't have the tire and wheel, it's gonna cost you a new tire. Don't hold your breath on them paying for it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Getting that tire and wheel insurance is seeming golden now because I'm hearing about too many ZL1's with nails in their tires. This is like the 4th or 5th story on here.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
I picked up a "self taping screw" in my rear tire and took the wheel/tire to Big O tire store. They put a plug in the hole and a patch inside the tire. When asked how much the manager said first time free. The tech even sprayed and wiped the wheel off. Just like new! That was almost 8K miles ago and no problems. I'll remember this place when I look for new tires.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Case of bad luck... Either plug it or get a new tire. Personally I'd get a new tire. I don't want to trust a plug going 100mph +
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
DISCOUNT TIRE WILL DO IT FOR FREE TOO. O JUST BOUGHT TIRE/WHEEL COVERAGE FROM BECKY AT RODGERS CHEVY. 5 YRS 75000 MILES. COST WAS $445 AND WELL WORTH IT
Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Getting that tire and wheel insurance is seeming golden now because I'm hearing about too many ZL1's with nails in their tires. This is like the 4th or 5th story on here.
Yeah, welcome to club.
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
josephs8

Drives: 2011 Yellow 2LT RS Camaro
Yeah, I might get it repaired for the time being since it is going into storage, but I dont think I would ever feel safe driving over 100mph with a plug in the tire.

I dont think my dealer ever offered tire/wheel insurance :/
josephs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
So... not to sound like a total Dufus, but is there something about the Eagle 1
that prohibits a plug and patch in all cases or just the usual bad case of 'too close to the sidewall' ?
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
My dealer threw it in for free! I'm glad now hearing all these nail stories!!!!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Well if you don't have the tire and wheel, it's gonna cost you a new tire. Don't hold your breath on them paying for it.
....true that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
...for the small amount of upfront expense offered by most dealers to get chip, wheel, tire protection, it's worth purchasing the policy because nothing on the ZL1 is inexpensive to replace or repair. Until one gets that uh-oh....then has to take it on at full freight.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
that prohibits a plug and patch in all cases or just the usual bad case of 'too close to the sidewall' ?

properly professionally installed inside patch plug on a nail or a screw hole in tread is all good.
Sidewall,,I would not trust for performance usage.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 View Post
My dealer threw it in for free! I'm glad now hearing all these nail stories!!!!!

That's awesome to hear of your dealership!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Not sure about now, however back in the day I used to sell Firestone and Bridgestone and whenever a high speed rated tire was damaged and repaired we had to note on the ticket that the high speed rating was compramised and to not exceed normal highway speeds. Only makes sence when you figure out how a radial tire is made almost impossible to punch a hole in one without breaking a belt. I bought the policy when I bought mine. It was like 5.99 a month thats only $359, thats less than one tire....