Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Frankly my l99's auto trans would not go into the 6000 rpm range and only would make the revs slightly higher for a M shift as the tranny controls the shifting to more the normal of a shift kitted trans as I had in many cars. I think the point you all are missing is this guy says he can go WOT and hit the rev limiter or get close and he is not driving a ZL1!!!!!!!!!! SO this should not be possible unless he modified or has a broken transmission safety switch not limiting the revs.....As the ZL1 was and is the only auto trans for the gen five camaro that lets you paddle shift when ever you want at what ever rev you want...I never read it lets the M mode in the ZL1 even go that high to shift.........And my l99 was no where close to that as it is hard on a transmission let alone a auto trans coupled to a v-6 that is beneath the specs for a SS or ZL1 trans that are not the same in durability.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Mine only has to run a couple hours a year, and only about 40 seconds an event at that speed. It's a Ford Motorsport A460 iron block, Sonny Bryant crank, Oliver rods, EX-514 heads, Crower .920" lift solid roller under jessel Mohawks. I get chills hearing it go down the track.

Sent from a Galaxy S3, far....far away.
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #31
cf06leo

Drives: SS
If the engine/trans are up to temp and the car has been properly maintained then it's fine to mash it as often as you want.
cf06leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
DarkneZZ

Drives: '13 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf06leo View Post
If the engine/trans are up to temp and the car has been properly maintained then it's fine to mash it as often as you want.
thanks for the proper answer.
DarkneZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you're driving in 'M' without the paddle shifts, you'd actually be in 'S', or Sport mode. If that's the case, the car is still doing the shifting for you. The gear selector can be in 'M' position, but until you touch one of the paddles, you should notice an S displayed in the lower left corner of the DIC. If that's the case OP, and you've not actually touched the paddles, just keep an eye on the temps and you should be fine Take care of your car properly and it will take care of you. If you drive like you stole it all the time, you'll need to do routine maintenance a bit more often--fluid changes and the like, brake pads, etc.

Remember, the autos have 3 driving modes:
D-fully automatic, gear selector in D position. Tame, kinda granny-ish mode.
S-Still fully automatic, but the car gets more aggressive with the shift points, and will hold onto a gear for you when you're driving a bit *ahem* spirited . Gear selector is in 'M' in this mode.
M, or tap-shift mode--you're in control of the car for the most part. The computer will generally keep you from doing anything -too- stupid, like downshifting into an RPM range that would put you above redline, or upshifting into such a low RPM that you'd stall. This is the mode I prefer to drive in, as I can zip through city traffic much easier this way, especially when passing

Some of the methods of switching in and out of these modes have changed from the 2010MY, but by and large this should still hold true.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #34
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
These cars are built to be driven hard. GM installed a factory engine oil cooler and transmission cooler for a reason. The ZL1 even has a differential cooler. Regular rev-limiter hits are not bad if you are accelerating and only hitting the limiter for a short time. Holding the engine at 6,000 for a while is bad though, especially if no air is going through the radiator.
Engineers always set the factory rev limiter below a RPM where serious engine damage can occur. Regular oil changes and maintenance is important for engine life too.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #35
DarkneZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
If you're driving in 'M' without the paddle shifts, you'd actually be in 'S', or Sport mode. If that's the case, the car is still doing the shifting for you. The gear selector can be in 'M' position, but until you touch one of the paddles, you should notice an S displayed in the lower left corner of the DIC. If that's the case OP, and you've not actually touched the paddles, just keep an eye on the temps and you should be fine Take care of your car properly and it will take care of you. If you drive like you stole it all the time, you'll need to do routine maintenance a bit more often--fluid changes and the like, brake pads, etc.

Remember, the autos have 3 driving modes:
D-fully automatic, gear selector in D position. Tame, kinda granny-ish mode.
S-Still fully automatic, but the car gets more aggressive with the shift points, and will hold onto a gear for you when you're driving a bit *ahem* spirited . Gear selector is in 'M' in this mode.
M, or tap-shift mode--you're in control of the car for the most part. The computer will generally keep you from doing anything -too- stupid, like downshifting into an RPM range that would put you above redline, or upshifting into such a low RPM that you'd stall. This is the mode I prefer to drive in, as I can zip through city traffic much easier this way, especially when passing

Some of the methods of switching in and out of these modes have changed from the 2010MY, but by and large this should still hold true.
Thanks! Yea I do know about all of those drive modes, I prefer driving in M (S, yet Automatic, no paddle shifts) and It doesn't really hit the redline, but bounces of the rev limiter. That was what I was curious about, thanks for the detailed answer! I don't mind doing maintenance more often, since this is why I bought this car in the first place, anytime I have an opportunity to WOT I do not miss it lol.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #36
Kerr

Drives: 67 vette
I think its better if you run a car hard.. we have 3 denali's 2010 2011 2012, all the same but color. My moms is slower than crap, dad runs pretty good and the wife will fly for a stock gm suv... On ours it was WFO leaving the lot. car had 32 miles on it. still runs like a champ. on my moms when i drive it, if you hammer it acts like its confused.. once it down shifts and your wfo it blows smoke out the back like a diesel truck.. its just all the carbon build up in the exhaust but you can so tell a difference.

Just dont beat on them when they are cold.. I know some people do, but that just seems like your asking for problems.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
My Harley lawnmower revs to 6300 rpm, thank you. If you don't know, don't speak of it. Someone will correct you.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #38
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneZZ View Post
Thanks! Yea I do know about all of those drive modes, I prefer driving in M (S, yet Automatic, no paddle shifts) and It doesn't really hit the redline, but bounces of the rev limiter. That was what I was curious about, thanks for the detailed answer! I don't mind doing maintenance more often, since this is why I bought this car in the first place, anytime I have an opportunity to WOT I do not miss it lol.
Heck yeah! Otherwise, what's the point of having this car?

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #39
Matt12v

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Every car i have ever had for 25 years has been redlined every other day at least. It doesnt harm the car it just makes it run faster albeit wear faster but by the time that happens I trade it in lol
Matt12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #40
Matt12v

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Matt12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #41
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneZZ View Post
Every time I drive my car there is always a chance for me to WOT, which very quickly results in going above 6.5K RPM and nearly redlining before it shifts. (Driving in M, without paddle shifts)
Is it bad for engine and transmission?:P
I do not drive her every day, but when I do i go WOT several times during my commute. I broke in properly, changed oil at 1500 and only then started to "abuse" it lol.
I heard there is a way to unlock a hidden supercharger on camaro's.
All you have to do is redline for 2 minutes straight, slow down, turn off car, then turn car back on and BAAAM you should have a new blower under your hood.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #42
DarkneZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
I heard there is a way to unlock a hidden supercharger on camaro's.
All you have to do is redline for 2 minutes straight, slow down, turn off car, then turn car back on and BAAAM you should have a new blower under your hood.
I have no idea what was the purpose of your post:
1) It is not funny
2) It is not constructive
3) It is meaningless and pointless.
And if you think it is not, then...well