Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Wink Camaros? Don't you know that the Bird is the word?

Well, I've finally laid Christine to rest at a local Ford lot. Ironically where I picked up my new girl. She's a little old but no slouch with only 30K and chance on the clock as a write this?

Yes that's right. 30K and change on a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am. Here's how the yarn goes..

I certainly didn't expect to find the car in question when I pulled up onto a used Ford lot on the saturday before Fathers Day 2010. In typical bored out and about fashion I circled the lot in my truck, coffee in hand. Oddly as I turned around back of the office shack/building for the used lot I found this car. Right in front of me sat this Maroon 'Firebird' covered in dust and grime.

Figured it was a worn out old bird and probably beat to hell when I first saw it from about 20 feet away. So I pulled up next to it into an empty spot and got out; walking over to the wine colored F-body.

As I got a bit closer, I noticed among other things that the rear treads were near mint, no caked rubber or dry rot. I went over the body in a slow circling pace and saw that aside from a small dimple, there were no dents. Granted there were a few scratches but nothing some polish and a buffer couldn't improve. When I stepped around the front of the car I saw that it had a fresh dealer stock sticker and hand written 'used car info sheet' thing with the AS IS box checked. This is where things got weird. What caught my eye was the mileage.

My first reaction: "Whut..?"

Tried the door handle. Strangely enough the car was open (after hours mind you.) I hopped behind the seat and it was pretty dirty inside (grime, dirt and dust caked on the dash from sitting). So I thought it was a fluke. Probably just a stock number and not the mileage..

I returned on Monday after having shown the car to my pop on Sunday (he fell in love with it at first sight and asked me to see much they wanted for it), got the keys and turned the car on.

Holee Sheet..

Story goes that the owner (only one too as it turned out) had traded it in on an '11 5.0 Mustang GT. The first one they got on the lot. I thought BS was foaming from the salesman's mouth but decided to humor the guy and drive it anyway. Needless to say it drove like a new car, and frankly freaked me out. Pulled up the carfax and damn near dumped a brick in my pants. Everything checked out.

One accident, couldn't even tell aside from a slight pull from lack of getting an alignment in the past two years or so. No frame damage, no fire, no leins, no General Lee stunts..

I then asked the guy the price. 10.9K. To myself I was thinking "fat chance in hell.." and thanked him for the time before heading out. I discussed the car at home since my pop wanted to know how it drove. One thing lead to another and I dropped 100 bucks down to hold the car and have it inspected by a trusted family mechanic that thursday.

Thursday rolls around and I have them drop it off at my mechanic. As I suspected he said 'it's got bugs' and may need a few small things. Nothing major but they were driveline related so after having sat for a while it sort of made sense. Sales guy was also a former mechanic (owned his own shop but sold it to his kids after retiring) and said it probably just needed fluids changed because they were probably from St. Therese. Honestly what he said made more sense knowing a little bit about F bodies and what sitting around can do to 'em.

That next monday I brought my parents along so that they could cosign a loan (banks are fickle these days and everyone knew it). I haggled, and finally got them down from the 10.9K asking to 10.3. After signing the paperwork and handing over the keys I headed out to Christine to remove her plates. I started to unbolt the rear plate and as I was taking off the last bolt...

I heard church bells ring.

Checked my watch and wondered "WTF" and guessed they were just testing them. What a time to do so, because it was at that time that the tag paperwork was completed and I signed off on it. The same sales guy that met me on that lot, helped me get the car by going behind his bosses back to get me a better trade value (1K above Nada I kid you not), and stuck by the whole time, handed the spares to the Bird and gave a hearty handshake. I in turn handed him the keys to the truck and for the first time in my life said a genuine thank you to a Ford used car dealer who worked some real magic.

That night I run the RPOs and find out that it's an true factory Hurst bird with code WA408G Maple Red Metallic paint. It was first offered in 2000 and is considered extremely rare (1 of 504 built). I later came to find out that it's also one of only two known to be in my area

A week goes by and I take it into my transmission shop and have them do a flush on the rear and trans as well as investigate the issues my mechanic brought up. Shockingly they said there 'wasn't a damn thing wrong' with the driveline and it was a safe bet to change the oil. $965 later the bird is completely back on it's feet and waking up every time I start it up, as if it finally had a chance to stretch it's legs having been cooped up in some schmuck's garage for 10 years.

In the end I really learned that you trust a Ford guy after all.

Last edited by Zabo; 02-05-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Rshep

Drives: 2010 SS
Congrats, sounds like a nice deal but not sure I would trust just any ford dealer! haha
Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
WOW! Helluva find man,and great read! Congrats on the Bird, she sounds/looks like a beast! Of course you already know- we're gonna need MORE PICS!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
:begin slow clap:
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Cool

What a great find. Wish i could find one. Have fun with it.

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 07-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

More pics will come.. kinda busy enjoying it ya know.

Seriously, between a 5th gen and this I'd pick the Bird. Sacrilege I know but it happens.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the car when I first saw it had just been on the lot 3 hours. Guy traded it in that saturday which explained why it hadn't been cleaned yet. It seriously was an odd set of circumstances when I think back on it all. And I normally don't trust ford sales people (after a few fiascos at the dealership down the street).

But this guy was alright. Not slimy like your run of the mill kinda guy. I mean when he pretty much confronts his ASM/SM in full view of you either it's an extremely well played sales tactic or I dunno what. But today and every day I'm finding that I got a steal of a deal on this car. Had they taken the the the time to go through it instead of slapping as-is and leaving it at that they could have seriously asked 15K easily.

But I got it for under NADA.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
ImportImage

Drives: 2012 GTR, 2009 GTR
Send a message via AIM to ImportImage
Great find.

I got my 01 T/A from a Dodge dealership in 04 for 4,500. My best friend was the manager and the car had a SES light on and the rear was shot. The guy that had the car wanted a diesel truck and was going to take 4000 trade in till I came by with cash.

The SES light was for the cats- factory warranty replaced them for free. Since I lived 30 min. from Moser at the time I went there and picked up a 12 bolt for cheap. Sold my 98 camaro for mod money.

I wish I could pick up another with low mileage and just leave it with bolt on's- that way my wife can actually drive it w/o killing her.

Have fun with it- you won't regret it.
ImportImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
More pics will come.. kinda busy enjoying it ya know.

Seriously, between a 5th gen and this I'd pick the Bird. Sacrilege I know but it happens.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the car when I first saw it had just been on the lot 3 hours. Guy traded it in that saturday which explained why it hadn't been cleaned yet. It seriously was an odd set of circumstances when I think back on it all. And I normally don't trust ford sales people (after a few fiascos at the dealership down the street).

But this guy was alright. Not slimy like your run of the mill kinda guy. I mean when he pretty much confronts his ASM/SM in full view of you either it's an extremely well played sales tactic or I dunno what. But today and every day I'm finding that I got a steal of a deal on this car. Had they taken the the the time to go through it instead of slapping as-is and leaving it at that they could have seriously asked 15K easily.

But I got it for under NADA.
Dude at 10 you can't go wrong! I won't even go into the cost of my 4ht gen, and it had 64k when I bought it...

You got a helluva deal! I know you're out there enjoyin the crap out of it- we'll wait

Old 07-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Very nice find!
Who would've thought you'd find such a gem at a Ford dealer?
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
congrats on your Bird
Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportImage View Post
The SES light was for the cats- factory warranty replaced them for free. Since I lived 30 min. from Moser at the time I went there and picked up a 12 bolt for cheap. Sold my 98 camaro for mod money.
Eh, mine still has a few bugs, namely stock pushrod suckage (itty bitty knock this morning on a cold start. 4K blip cleared it up but I think she's asking me for new heads and a cam..) and crappy loose baffles in that watermelon of a muffler.

*reads* Wait, Moser is 30 minutes from Ft. Myers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Dude at 10 you can't go wrong! I won't even go into the cost of my 4ht gen, and it had 64k when I bought it...

You got a helluva deal! I know you're out there enjoyin the crap out of it- we'll wait
Yeah, kinda. Stupid construction on US23 North limited me to 110. Trucks and ohio dumbass drivers everywhere thinking MiSHP would be out to get them.

Thing is they only stick around north of Ann Arbor. 35 miles of relatively unpatrolled "70mph".. which in my newly learned tongue means "Infinitymph".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
Very nice find!
Who would've thought you'd find such a gem at a Ford dealer?
I didn't? Well until I pulled up; hell I thought it was a mechanic's car at first. No Plates = for sale? Bet yer bum it was. I still can't believe he crossed over to a 5.0. I think he only got 8 on the trade or so. I can't reiterate enough how much they underpriced this car.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
suvalle55

Drives: 2002 arctic white v6
Very nice dude, i like the color too.
suvalle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Wow, great deal and a great looking car. Looks like your bird can sing!! Congrats... More pics please.
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote