Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
sac130e

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS BRM
TapShift..Any Real Use?

Guessing the Tapshift feature is more of an enjoyment/have to have thing then something to actually use on a daily basis.
Haven't touched it yet, and really see not need to use it.
So if you are using it, is it just for fun..or real daily use?

Thx
sac130e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Camo45th
Camo45th

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 45th
When you deactivate completely stabilitrack and pull the shifter all the way back to M, the car behaves differently. I always use it, more fun.
Camo45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Definitely for more fun. And let me tell you, it's way more fun than driving in auto mode. I use it when traffic is light and I have some room to move around.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
It is a must at autocross to make the car hold the gear you want
Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Guessing the Tapshift feature is more of an enjoyment/have to have thing then something to actually use on a daily basis.
Haven't touched it yet, and really see not need to use it.
So if you are using it, is it just for fun..or real daily use?

Thx
It has a use...maybe not daily...I'm sure it's much more convenient to let the car shift for you going down the street....but on a track? When "spiritedly" driving? It's awesome!

Oh, and it's worth noting that the OE calibration for the automatic in 2012+ cars is improved...quicker responding and a little more performance oriented.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
With my tune my car runs better in sport mode but sometimes when I'm driving the car gets "stuck" in a gear revving high so i sometimes use the paddles to shift up.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
I use mine just for the fun of it, though I could see how being able to manually control and override which gear you're in (in most cases...) could be useful from a performance standpoint. I only ever get to use mine when I'm out on more rural roads, though I still don't feel very comfortable driving with it because I still don't really know what I'm doing as far as manual operation is concerned.

I have been driving in 'S' mode ever since I discovered that there WAS an 'S' mode though...
Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
dave eckhardt
dave eckhardt seabees

Drives: 2012 camaro 2 LT convertible
I recommend a carter (CFD)shifter.believe me you will not regret it.I have had one for close to two years and appreciate it more every day.It gives you the luxury of an automatic and when you desire a stick shift without searching for the tapshift paddles when making a turn.search this forum for purchase and install details.
dave eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
I love downshifting the car for upcoming stoplights and such, saves the brakes, right...
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post
I use mine just for the fun of it, though I could see how being able to manually control and override which gear you're in (in most cases...) could be useful from a performance standpoint. I only ever get to use mine when I'm out on more rural roads, though I still don't feel very comfortable driving with it because I still don't really know what I'm doing as far as manual operation is concerned.
Or it could be the difference in mental outlook concerning where the ultimate authority for transmission gear selection belongs.

IOW, if your thinking is that of a pure automatic transmission driver (don't need more than P, R, D) you aren't likely to use it very often, as it will feel like "extra work".

But if you've got much of a manual transmission mentality (as you might get from driving other cars with MT, motorcycles, or maybe even "10-speed" bicycles), you'll be more apt to use it because you'd be somewhat accustomed to making shifts happen when you wanted them to happen. Most people do develop a "feel" for which gear is appropriate for the speed they're driving at.

P.S. I manually shift most any automatic transmission car most all the time . . . on the rare occasion that I have to drive one in the first place.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Michaels2011

Drives: 2014 2lt/RS
Use mine everyday. My ride is a daily driver…. Never driven in full auto, in this ride or ny 2011...
Also in auto you car will shift to 6th, even @ 30…. Lugging the motor IMO….

K&N cai..... WCC underhood lighting.... 1LE strut tower brace.... Custom painted Fuse box/engine covers & strut tower brace.... Pfadt 1.25 lowering springs.....Ghosted side markers.....
Michaels2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
sac130e

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post

I have been driving in 'S' mode ever since I discovered that there WAS an 'S' mode though...
Same for me, still haven't figured out the modes and not doing something that could damage the engine/tranny. will have to read up on it some more before I get out there and play.

thx
sac130e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I get shift denied on the display sometimes but the car still shifts into what ever gear I want it to thanks to my Full tune. Sometimes it will drag the rear wheels for a second if you get carried away on the downshift. I have the larger aluminum paddles so searching for them is not an issue. It will lag on the up-shift if you miss the optimum shift point, but once you get used to when to shift it changes gear seamlessly. Well, not seamlessly as I break traction on shifts through third, fourth if its wet or cold.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I used mine almost daily and itmis very nice to have on the track, in fact i dont think youd be happy at all on a track without unless your drag racing.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote