Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #29
Bama 2SS/RS

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Just a minor bit of thread-jacking here, bust still kind of on topic.

Can anyone please explain how the stupid 1-4 skip shift is supposed to be GOOD and save gas? It just seems like the most retarded idea ever, to me. Then again, I guess its some B.S. the government has come up with, so, who would have thought it would make sense?

Just seems like such a stupid idea to me, and I can't see how it's supposed to save gas.
Bama 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #30
GMAN422
Freedom in an open top SS

Drives: Avalanche Z71, RJT 2SS M6 Conv
CAUTION: Don't buy the cheap skip shift eliminator on eBay from Patrick Marlow or anyone else tied to PayPal account adaptiveperformance@earthlink.net. It is a scam. Do a search on anyone you are looking to buy one from and make sure.

Of course, APEX is 100% legit, so you'll be safe there.

11/26/2010 - (1100) Order Placed at Dealership
01/04/2011 - (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
02/09/2011 - (3400) Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Paperwork Order Produced)
02/15/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping. VIN # 162679
03/05/2011 - (5000) Delivered to me - thanks Eric!
GMAN422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #31
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama 2SS/RS View Post
Just a minor bit of thread-jacking here, bust still kind of on topic.

Can anyone please explain how the stupid 1-4 skip shift is supposed to be GOOD and save gas? It just seems like the most retarded idea ever, to me. Then again, I guess its some B.S. the government has come up with, so, who would have thought it would make sense?

Just seems like such a stupid idea to me, and I can't see how it's supposed to save gas.
It's (in theory) better on gas because the engine is under much less stress in 4th as opposed to 2nd. Don't go all "conspiracy theory" and blame the government..... Blame GM if you want to point the finger. In order to improve the fuel economy numbers, they incorporate that feature, which also helps avoid the costly gas guzzler tax. Otherwise, we as the customers would have to pay, and it would drag down their average corporate fuel economy numbers.

Plus, with such an easy and cheap "fix", I don't see anything to complain about.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #32
Bama 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeos View Post
It's (in theory) better on gas because the engine is under much less stress in 4th as opposed to 2nd. Don't go all "conspiracy theory" and blame the government..... Blame GM if you want to point the finger. In order to improve the fuel economy numbers, they incorporate that feature, which also helps avoid the costly gas guzzler tax. Otherwise, we as the customers would have to pay, and it would drag down their average corporate fuel economy numbers.

Plus, with such an easy and cheap "fix", I don't see anything to complain about.
Oh, I'm not complaining. The skip-shift eliminator was the first thing I installed on my car and I couldn't be happier. Well, I could be happier if that feature wasn't there in the first place, but the little cost to install the eliminator makes it almost not worth complaining about.

However, conspiracy theory? No. But it IS because of too much nanny government, that's a fact. I'll keep from getting political here, so I don't get into any trouble, but the simple fact that GM installs that feature so as to not be subject to the "gas guzzler" tax is proof. If it wasn't for the "gas guzzler" tax, the whole 1-4 shift thing wouldn't even exist. No one in their right mind can think that this would save any gas, and it's only because the government allows it as an exception to the "gas guzzler" tax that GM even installs it. And it's not just GM, either. If I'm not mistaken, there are other car manufacturers that have similar schemes to avoid the tax.

But, my point is simply this; if the "gas guzzler" tax did not exist (thanks to the government, not GM), this stupid feature would not exist. I don't believe that forcing a shift from 1-4 and lugging the engine at the absolute bottom of it's horsepower and torque curves while trying to accelerate from a light could possibly save gas.

Since we DO have the tax foisted upon us, I am glad that GM installed the system such that we don't have to pay the tax, and I'm also glad that they installed the system in such a way that it is easy and cheap to bypass.

So, no, no conspiracy theories here, man. Just a simple fact that the government made the tax law, and only because of that, do we have the stupid skip-shift setup in the car. So, don't blame GM when it's because of excessive government nannying. It's only a conspiracy theory if it's false, right? If it's the truth, it's simply the truth.

Anyway, I don't mean to get anyone riled up here, I'm not trolling, so please no flames. I just want someone to explain how exactly forcing a 1-4 shift saves any gas. I understand what the basic premise is that they use, which you mentioned, I just thing that it's absolutely wrong. I'm not an expert, though, so if someone can explain how exactly it saves gas, and can prove me wrong, then I'll concede that point.

Edit: I completely forgot about the stupid C.A.F.E. standards thing you mentioned. That's another bullet to show that it's a result of government interference, and not something GM simply decided to do on their own.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama 2SS/RS View Post
I just want someone to explain how exactly forcing a 1-4 shift saves any gas. I understand what the basic premise is that they use, which you mentioned, I just thing that it's absolutely wrong. I'm not an expert, though, so if someone can explain how exactly it saves gas, and can prove me wrong, then I'll concede that point.
I agree with you, I don't think CAGS does a thing for fuel economy. All it does is keep you from paying the "gas guzzler" tax because it gives some bureaucrat a warm and fuzzy. The good news is that it doesn't cost much to kill it.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #34
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The good news is that it doesn't cost much to kill it.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #35
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Installed it today!! If you have big hands like me it is a bit of a challenge in the tight area getting the harness clip unplugged off the tranny. Very easy to snap back together.

Works great!! Thanks APEX!
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #36
Bama 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I agree with you, I don't think CAGS does a thing for fuel economy. All it does is keep you from paying the "gas guzzler" tax because it gives some bureaucrat a warm and fuzzy. The good news is that it doesn't cost much to kill it.

Most definitely.

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but your skip-shift eliminator was literally the first mod I did to my car. I can't say enough about how simple it was to install, and how much happier it makes me not being forced into a 1-4 shift.

If it didn't come out that well in my previous posts, I'll say it again, just for the record, that I am MUCH happier paying the small amount for my skip-shift eliminator, than having to pay the gas guzzler tax. So, whether GM intentionally made it that easy to bypass or not, I am happy that GM put in the skip-shift feature, rather than making us pay the tax. Just as long as they don't make it any harder to defeat the skip-shift, I think we're all good to go.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #37
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
Installed it today!! If you have big hands like me it is a bit of a challenge in the tight area getting the harness clip unplugged off the tranny. Very easy to snap back together.

Works great!! Thanks APEX!
Thanks for your order. I'm glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #38
JHL88

Drives: 02 z06
if you have skinny arms, and small hands. its a breeze
2002 torch redc5z06 - sold :(
'13 z71 4x4 - DD

www.fquick.com/JHL88
JHL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #39
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
if you have skinny arms, and small hands. its a breeze
+1

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #40
jdec141c

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert 2SS/RS 6M Hurst
ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to get rid of that annoying feature!! Thanks Apex!!!
jdec141c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #41
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdec141c View Post
ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to get rid of that annoying feature!! Thanks Apex!!!

As others have told me.. The computer will still display the prompt that you need to shift to forth but of course you will be able to go right into second with no issues.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #42
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN422 View Post
CAUTION: Don't buy the cheap skip shift eliminator on eBay from Patrick Marlow or anyone else tied to PayPal account adaptiveperformance@earthlink.net. It is a scam. Do a search on anyone you are looking to buy one from and make sure.

Of course, APEX is 100% legit, so you'll be safe there.