Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
CAI Inc. Cold Air Induction Installed

Hey y'all. Just wanted to update my CAI mod - it is done. I've attached a couple of photos and some comments about the installation that those who will be DIY-ing may want to take note of.

Overall it's a pretty simple install, but if you are like me you want clear instructions before you start disassembling your $30K (or more) car. The instructions provided with the CAI, Inc. kit are pretty good but fall short in a couple of places.

1. Terminology was a bit unclear with the use of "wire loom" and "MAF" (Mass Air Flow), if you're not a mechanic (as I am not). Familiarize yourself with the terms before you begin your DIY.

2. Some of the photos in the instructions are not of a 2012 LFX Camaro. I think CAI needs to create separate instructions specifically for LFX and LLT engines.

3. Tools required. Add to the list a 5/16" Nutdriver and a medium sized flat tip screwdriver.

Things to Note:

MAF Sensor. When installing the MAF onto the new intake tube, be sure to notice the arrow on the MAF which (I assume) indicates the direction of ariflow. Again, something a DIYer may not notice and something that should be mentioned in the instructions.

Battery Ground. Once the CAI box is installed, you will no longer have access to the grounding stud used to jump the battery unless you remove the filter box cover. Even then I don't think you can get a clean clamp on the stud. You'll want to make other arrangements for jump starting.

Other than that, installation went smoothly. Took about an hour including taking pictures and making notes. Sounds good, runs good, looks good. Haven't given it a hard test yet for get up and go. Raining today.
Attached Images

2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
45anni-gen5
Chevy 4 Life

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary RS Vert
looks nice i just wish the price of these dand intakes for the LFX would drop :(
Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Nice write up!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
A great addition to any engine bay.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Ject