Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #57
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
It's been a crazy week around here due to a freak snow storm so I didn't get as much done as I planned. The high flow cat's have not been installed but should get to it next week.

I did have a chance to tack the last piece for the mailslot trim in place. Now I can scribe it, trim it down, clean it up and install it with the cold air ducts in place as well.

After that I will finish the smoked flush mount lenses for the DRLs and install the new lower grille/plate mount and the fabrication on the facia will be finished and it will be time for prep and paint.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #58
CFD

High flow cats have been paired up to the Doug Thorley long tubes and I'm very happy with the sound and performance.

Also installed the 2012 heater hose assembly. I had a little trouble installing them but was probably more me than anything, must have had one of those days.

I also worked on the mail slot scoop trim but as expected I screwed it up along with three more. I'm working on another one this weekend and hope to have it finished and installed soon. It is coming out great and actually is a large openning adding extra air both to the radiator and CAI. The trim pice is being a real pain as bending and contouring it to fit perfectly is a ton of work but before I destroyed the one pictured above I mounted it temporarily with the grill in place (same as used on my lower scoops) and I think it looks great.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #59
CFD

Finally have a chance to work on my car a bit. Tore it down to install a Texaspeed VVT-3 cam and needed valve train upgrades as well. Figured I may as well pull off the facia and try to finish my mail slot scoop, install the final plate mount and get some paint on it. While the heads are off I am also doing some port work and will finish it off with a multi-angle valve job. Convertor is soon to follow.

Here is where I am at as of now.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #60
CFD

Been busy at the shop with customer work and shifters but have been picking away at it. The VVT-3 cam is in and I finished up the heads this afternoon. If everything goes right I am hoping to put the motor back together this weekend. I am already sick of driving my truck so I hope I can hold out long enough to finish up the mail slot scoop and paint the facia, it's only been about a year and a half since I started all the mods to the facia so if I don't finish it I am used to it the way it is LOL. You know what they say, the cobblers kids have no shoes.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #61
CFD

Should be getting my PCM back from Texas Speed in the morning, I am dying to fire it up but will only be able to sneak it out for a short test ride as the facia is still off. I had been working on the mailslot scoop with the facia on the car and my sticking point has been attaching it with no visable hardware, as it turns out with the facia off there is a chanel above the mailslot that will hold the upper portion in place, I am thinking that I will weld a similar chanel to hold the lower portion in place as well. If it works I may leave off the aluminum trim piece I made as I think it's cleaner without it, anyhow without using the trim to fasten the scoop it can easily be installed and removed if I decide to use it.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #62
CFD

Got my PCM back today. I had a chance to fire it up but didn't have a chance to take it for a ride. The cam sounds great and I'm hoping it runs as good as it sounds. Perhaps tomorrow. I finished welding up the mail slot scoop and am determined to finish it before I put the facia back on, hopefully by the weekend. I lit a match under my painters ass to finish up some paint he's doing on a couple of bikes to make room for the facia, you would think by now he would know the bosses stuff comes first LOL
Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #63
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Loving the scoop idea! Many hate the idea of hacking it up for no gain. But why not make it real and get better air flow to the radiator and to the CAI with some piping. So what if the gain is of one HP, at least when people ask you can say it's real unlike the rest of the Camaro's.
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #64
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
subscribed.

well done!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #65
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
Loving the scoop idea! Many hate the idea of hacking it up for no gain. But why not make it real and get better air flow to the radiator and to the CAI with some piping. So what if the gain is of one HP, at least when people ask you can say it's real unlike the rest of the Camaro's.
Thanks. I thought it was a coll idea as well but it has been a pain in the arse. Most of the fabrication has been done with the facia on the car and fastening it in a clean manner has been the sticking point. The trim piece was to enable screws to hold it in place but I was not liking it that much. Now that the facia is off again I notice a chanel that the top slides into, I am planning on welding a similar chanel on the facia to hold the bottom then I can eliminate the trim piece. I hope it works out because the cam install is done and I am wanting to put the facia back on so I can drive it.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #66
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
The trim piece was to enable screws to hold it in place but I was not liking it that much. Now that the facia is off again I notice a chanel that the top slides into, I am planning on welding a similar chanel on the facia to hold the bottom then I can eliminate the trim piece.
For mounting you could try some two part epoxy for plastic, orange10s.c. said he did that to mount a real mesh grill in his mail slot just for the real look.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #67
CFD

Quote:
For mounting you could try some two part epoxy for plastic, orange10s.c. said he did that to mount a real mesh grill in his mail slot just for the real look.
That's the easy way lol. I was going to do that with some flexable adhesive designed for repairing facias but I wanted to make it something I could easily remove if I decided to. The mounting system I am planning on now should be no problem. These facias are easy to weld and it will make it removeable and still allow for it to float so it won't affect the facias abillity to flex. I should have it done this weekend so I can have my painter start on it. I will post a couple of pics when it's mounted.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #68
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Sounds great, it's a mod I want to do along with the ADM scoop in the lower grille.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #69
CFD

Quote:
Sounds great, it's a mod I want to do along with the ADM scoop in the lower grille.
I will take some detailed pics and post them, perhaps it will give you some direction.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #70
CFD

I did finish up the scoop and finished fitting it to the facia although I didn't weld in the channel yet. I got a donor facia from a local body shop to make the pieces out of but when I did a test weld it wasn't very strong. Reason being the Camaro's facia is made of TEO, the one I got was PP. PP is the worst for welding or use of adhesives as it has an oily content to it, when trying to weld it the oils come out and contaminate the weld. I am going to scavenge through their pile of facias tomorrow and see if I can find one of TEO.

I had a chance to take the car out for a small ride to my buddies shop to put it on the rack and make sure there were no leaks, driveability was a bit poor but that was expected as I haven't changed the converter yet but the car feels real strong and sounds great. I was a bit bummed because I went through my first set of P-Zeros at 27,000 miles, I am now at 42,000 and when I had it up I noticed my rears are history, they actually are so wiped out they look like slicks and I've been taking it easy with the hole shots. Drag radials are in order.