Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
NFL Union gives 18-GAME counterproposal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5813574

Discuss:
Quote:
The highlights of the union proposal:
• Voluntary offseason workouts would be reduced from the current 14 weeks to five weeks or 20 days (four days a week, four-hour maximum per day).
• Significantly reduced contact between players during training camp with four practices a week consisting of helmetless and padless periods.
• Two in-season bye weeks.
• Expanded rosters from the current 53 to 56 or 57, in addition to practice squads.
• Increased pro-rated salaries for players under contract.
• Reduction of the amount of games players become vested to qualify for post-career health care and pension benefits.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Glad to see that somebody is doing something! I like the expanded rosters, that should have been done a long time ago. The 2 bye weeks are ok too. Not real crazy about the reduced OTAs and practices.
Even though I am an NFL owner, I'm no where near "high-level" Bob or Jerry!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Yep for to long Football season has been to short and Hockey season to long
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Love how the 5th item below is slipped in. FAT chance. I guarantee this will be a sticking point.

Quote:
The highlights of the union proposal:
• Voluntary offseason workouts would be reduced from the current 14 weeks to five weeks or 20 days (four days a week, four-hour maximum per day).
• Significantly reduced contact between players during training camp with four practices a week consisting of helmetless and padless periods.
• Two in-season bye weeks.
• Expanded rosters from the current 53 to 56 or 57, in addition to practice squads.
• Reduction of the amount of games players become vested to qualify for post-career health care and pension benefits.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

^I don't know. I think that's pretty fair. The players that are currently under contract are under contract for 16 games. I don't think they'll play for free for two games. lol
Old 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Ok, I don't usually weigh in on sports stuff, but I have serious reservations with this:
Quote:
No offense, but F that bullpoop. Like these guys need MORE money.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Ok, I don't usually weigh in on sports stuff, but I have serious reservations with this:

No offense, but F that bullpoop. Like these guys need MORE money.
actually, the average nfl player doesn't make a whole lot...considering.

If you look at the big picture, i believe the average nfl career is around 3 or 4 years. I can't remember the actual amount the average nfl player makes, but i do remember doing the math that it comes out about the same as someone who works for about 50k a year over "X" amount of years.

again, i can't remember all the details. Granted, i know there are some ridiculous contracts. lol

for a good majority of these players, they know nothing outside of football. so they are looking to make bank to set them up for life.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
I think the union knows the players will have to eat some crow, a strike will ruin it just like baseball and hockey, both only the core fans still watch.

How do ya know then guy???

TV ratings, baseball n hockey use to dominate regular TV, use to get on my nervers too pre empting new fall season shows, but now ya barley see a game on, unless its a special sports channel.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
actually, the average nfl player doesn't make a whole lot...considering.

If you look at the big picture, i believe the average nfl career is around 3 or 4 years. I can't remember the actual amount the average nfl player makes, but i do remember doing the math that it comes out about the same as someone who works for about 50k a year over "X" amount of years.

again, i can't remember all the details. Granted, i know there are some ridiculous contracts. lol

for a good majority of these players, they know nothing outside of football. so they are looking to make bank to set them up for life.
Yeah I guess that's true, the non-star players don't get paid anywhere near what the big names do, didn't think of that.