Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
MTI TVS 1900/MAST Stage II cam/ARH

Here is the inital "UNTUNED" start up video from the current build....Tuning should happen this, week so we will be posting up dyno numbers, Lord willing, we don't break anything.

The idle should smooth out with tuning.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Here is the inital "UNTUNED" start up video from the current build....Tuning should happen this, week so we will be posting up dyno numbers, Lord willing, we don't break anything.

The idle should smooth out with tuning.

awesome!!! and tvs 1900 is what im gonna run. 2300 is awesome but im never gonna turn boost up that high to see the real benefits of it. so the smaller 1900 will be best option for me. cant wait to see results!!!
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Brad,

I watch / check your updates frequently, looks to be coming along nicely. A couple questions I (and maybe some others) have that would help for those of us considering something similar. .

1) I initially assume your pulled the heads to put on springs, but now wonder what you might have prepped for FI. Did you use any type of special head gasket (and thicker to ease down the compression perhaps) what’s the story with the head bolts? Will they make a difference?
2) I assume you did a DOD delete as you had mentioned before you got the car, what was involved with that? (I still hope to retain mine, but I have to admit, it’s a little annoying with a louder exhaust.)
3) Have you found a way to make the heat exchanger (or what ever) work with the Vararam or ERA OTR intake systems?
4) You mention tuning will smoothen out the idle. What system is your tuner using? It does sound a bit mean and angry. Has it been wife approved yet?

You blazing this trail for us is great. Most the other builds have been done by the big tuner shops, and even then, few have matched the blower along with traditional cam/intake/exhaust. Keep up the great work.

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Brad,

I watch / check your updates frequently, looks to be coming along nicely. A couple questions I (and maybe some others) have that would help for those of us considering something similar. .

1) I initially assume your pulled the heads to put on springs, but now wonder what you might have prepped for FI. Did you use any type of special head gasket (and thicker to ease down the compression perhaps) what’s the story with the head bolts? Will they make a difference?
2) I assume you did a DOD delete as you had mentioned before you got the car, what was involved with that? (I still hope to retain mine, but I have to admit, it’s a little annoying with a louder exhaust.)
3) Have you found a way to make the heat exchanger (or what ever) work with the Vararam or ERA OTR intake systems?
4) You mention tuning will smoothen out the idle. What system is your tuner using? It does sound a bit mean and angry. Has it been wife approved yet?
1) I told the dude we wanted a little thicker 0.51 gasket to further bump down compression a little, but don't know if that's what we got...the TVS was an after thought to be honest. We did you ARP head bolts...not a big deal, "maybe" a little added insurance.
2) Yes, we did a DOD delete, therefore the head removal was necessary. Most shops will sell that as a "kit"...you replace lifters, lifter buckets, we did springs, cam/phaser limiter,etc. Sean said not too bad to install, although the cam was a "little" tricky compared to a non VVT application.
3) This is the BIG issue right now. At this point, NO. But I don't have the OTR in my possession to check it out. I'll be contacting Mike on Monday to discuss this issue, because I'm kinda the R&D subject on this.
4) Phil uses both HPTuners and EFIlive...HPTuners is his preferred software, but when they dont' have all the parameters he needs, he does switch back and forth. Only time will tell if it gets the "wife approved" seal, but I'm sure hoping that with tuning it quiets down some. If not I have promised her I will add bullett mufflers in the middle of the ARH set up...and cutouts for when I want to get roudy. Again, the TVS was an afterthough, I was initially just going for a fairly stout cam only setup, but now, I kinda wish I had backed down to the stage 1 cam, but its too late now. I'll just drive it and see what happens, hopefully it will end up being a tolerable set up. In reality, she likes bigger vehicles, so the TBSS may end up being hers. It may be easier to quiet it down anyway....we will see.

Should have some dyno numbers this week if all goes well.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
I'll have coffee in hand, checking for the results daily.
Take your time, don’t rush…yesterday will be fine

Seriously though, did your dyno runs log intake air temp?
If at all possible, can someone record boost pressures across the RPM band. I’m curious how quickly the 1900 can build up boost.
Do you have the trans tuned the way you like it now? (no tune yet for me,...mine still shifts like a Cadillac ouch, and if I use the paddles and shift at 5500, it still bounced against the rev limiter before it actually shifts, … maybe a need to shift at 4500 ) i'd be real afraid of the trans in its stock tune with a couple hundred more HP

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Quote:
4) Phil uses both HPTuners and EFIlive...HPTuners is his preferred software, but when they dont' have all the parameters he needs, he does switch back and forth. Only time will tell if it gets the "wife approved" seal, but I'm sure hoping that with tuning it quiets down some. If not I have promised her I will add bullett mufflers in the middle of the ARH set up...and cutouts for when I want to get roudy. Again, the TVS was an afterthough, I was initially just going for a fairly stout cam only setup, but now, I kinda wish I had backed down to the stage 1 cam, but its too late now. I'll just drive it and see what happens, hopefully it will end up being a tolerable set up. In reality, she likes bigger vehicles, so the TBSS may end up being hers. It may be easier to quiet it down anyway....we will see.

It's funny you mention the Stage 1 cam. I have been following your build and I originally planned to do just a supercharger and tune. But after seeing your previous thread, I decided to go the same route as you. I called Mast Motorsports on Friday and they recommended the Stage 1 cam because it was specifically designed for supercharged applications. Please keep posting. I tried to pm you earlier.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
It's funny you mention the Stage 1 cam. I have been following your build and I originally planned to do just a supercharger and tune. But after seeing your previous thread, I decided to go the same route as you. I called Mast Motorsports on Friday and they recommended the Stage 1 cam because it was specifically designed for supercharged applications. Please keep posting. I tried to pm you earlier.
Try to hit me again with the PM, I didn't get it.

I'd rather have done the stage 1 if I had known I was gonna do TVS from the beginning
But I didn't so oh, well. I have been told that one of the advantages of a positive displacement
Blower is that you can essentially run a NA cam and it will perform just as well...ie it doesn't need a
Blower specific cam like other applications, and the blower will tame the cam somewhat...this is what I've been
Told, so I have no proof its true. This cam is still a 115 LSA, so I think it will be fine, I'm just concerned about
This size cam, and its "wife approval" rating.

I "plan" to upgrade the tranny when a proven upgrade exists, and maybe the rear diff at some point.
Because eventually I'd like to do a forged short block and up the boost some.

As long as this setup proves to be safe for the stock shortblock, I should be pretty satisfied
For a while...
Old 07-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
What a beast! Sounds good!
Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
usmcjlp

Quote:
Try to hit me again with the PM, I didn't get it.

I'd rather have done the stage 1 if I had known I was gonna do TVS from the beginning
But I didn't so oh, well. I have been told that one of the advantages of a positive displacement
Blower is that you can essentially run a NA cam and it will perform just as well...ie it doesn't need a
Blower specific cam like other applications, and the blower will tame the cam somewhat...this is what I've been
Told, so I have no proof its true. This cam is still a 115 LSA, so I think it will be fine, I'm just concerned about
This size cam, and its "wife approval" rating.

I "plan" to upgrade the tranny when a proven upgrade exists, and maybe the rear diff at some point.
Because eventually I'd like to do a forged short block and up the boost some.

As long as this setup proves to be safe for the stock shortblock, I should be pretty satisfied
For a while...
Man, you sound like me. I started off thinking that it would just be great to have a 426 Hp vehicle. Now, I ask myself, how much performance can I get out of this thing without breaking it. I'm in the same boat, my only problem is what can I get past the wife.

I believe you're right on the blower/cam compatibility. As long as the engine is tuned for proper fuel air ratio to avoid too lean or rich a mix and it is not exposed to excessive rpm on a regular basis you should be good.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Man, you sound like me. I started off thinking that it would just be great to have a 426 Hp vehicle. Now, I ask myself, how much performance can I get out of this thing without breaking it. I'm in the same boat, my only problem is what can I get past the wife.

I believe you're right on the blower/cam compatibility. As long as the engine is tuned for proper fuel air ratio to avoid too lean or rich a mix and it is not exposed to excessive rpm on a regular basis you should be good.
Well I knew I was gonna do something big, I had originally planned TT, but I really don't want this to become a drag car, so in the event I decided to do road course I think the TVS will be a better fit. I knew I wanted the classic muscle car sound of a cam, but really only when I open the cutouts, so I have to be able to tame it down for daily driving....and as you said, it all has to be "wife approved". So that is my goal...Anyone interested in a wife approved set up watch my build, because it has to do 2 things: perform AND be agreeable with the wife.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
davidj

Drives: .
Great build!! Really interested in how the 1900 will perform. Keep up the good work and cant wait for the dyno numbers.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
usmcjlp

I'll be learning from you. Hope everything goes well. So far looks great.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
SUPERSPORTED
Desert rat

Drives: Future 2SS/RS
Quote:
because it has to do 2 things: perform AND be agreeable with the wife.
WOOOOOOOOW,... sorry if it don't agree with the second thing (the wife).

good luck with that!
SUPERSPORTED is offline   Reply With Quote