Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #435
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
Well if they are putting an automatic in the ZL1, then they better put one in the Z06 and ZR1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUDMIKE View Post
I am not against the idea of an automatic. The problem I have with the autos is that they modify the rest of the car so that production is easier and cheaper. Steering wheels that normally would be more ergo are not because they may have to hold paddles. Harness and extra connectors installed in cars and makes a nightmare for diag as you spend more time in the diagrams. The try to combine the two totally different cars so its cheaper to build. Thus ruining the manual cars. Then lets get into the tuning. What else are they going to do on top of the autos. Are they going to put DOD or VVT in the cars. We all know the disaster involved with trying to make more power in the current autos. LET ALONE TRYING TO TUNE IT!!

I currently think the car is amazing looking but dont get the price tag. You want a car that will smoke 90% of the cars out there, in an automatic, that gets better gas mileage and save 20 g's. Come see me on the build.

I SAY NO!!!
Hey Mike...just out of curiosity...20 g's less than the ZL1 is gonna be like $30k - $40k which is the price of just a loaded 2SS/RS pretty much...what is the price of your package?

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #436
ZL-1 The Hunter

Drives: VW Jetta TDI
New to the site....I personally enjoy driving manuals, so I plan on buying one (that is if I can save and afford it, ha) regardless. Hopefully, for those who don't enjoy manuals, they will offer the Auto as an option; otherwise, can we say retrofit???
ZL-1 The Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #437
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUDMIKE View Post
I am not against the idea of an automatic. The problem I have with the autos is that they modify the rest of the car so that production is easier and cheaper. Steering wheels that normally would be more ergo are not because they may have to hold paddles. Harness and extra connectors installed in cars and makes a nightmare for diag as you spend more time in the diagrams. The try to combine the two totally different cars so its cheaper to build. Thus ruining the manual cars. Then lets get into the tuning. What else are they going to do on top of the autos. Are they going to put DOD or VVT in the cars. We all know the disaster involved with trying to make more power in the current autos. LET ALONE TRYING TO TUNE IT!!

I currently think the car is amazing looking but dont get the price tag. You want a car that will smoke 90% of the cars out there, in an automatic, that gets better gas mileage and save 20 g's. Come see me on the build.

I SAY NO!!!
Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc. seem to make it just fine with paddle shifters on their race-inspired steering wheels. Plus, I would be absolutely surprised to see any DOD or VVT in an automatic version of the ZL1; it didn't happen on the CTS-V with the LSA - Auto combo nor is there reason to do so on the ZL1. Plus I wouldn't call it a "disaster" tuning or modding the L99s, considering, e.g., JRE and TSP are doing just fine with it.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #438
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
i laugh when i see sedans or SUV's with manual, but i get bummed when i see cool looking sport's cars with autos. i just think it's part of the persona of a real sport's and/or muscle car to have a manual, because i think whoever owns it knows how to drive it in its truest form. just like i think the point of a sedan/SUV is not to have a fun car (normally), but its uses are more geared for families, transporting, etc. a rarity like a ZL1 should definitely be a manual, because you probably aren't going to see a lot of those on the road in auto or manual anyway, so if i see one i want to be jealous. i wouldn't be jealous if i looked in and saw an auto though unfortunately.

but we all know gm needs the revenue, so there will be an auto for sure. the only thing about paddle shifters is that it is sometimes difficult to turn corners with and drift, etc.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #439
DevilKnightFalcon

Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
253 more votes to go!!

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #440
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL-1 The Hunter View Post
New to the site....I personally enjoy driving manuals, so I plan on buying one (that is if I can save and afford it, ha) regardless. Hopefully, for those who don't enjoy manuals, they will offer the Auto as an option; otherwise, can we say retrofit???
I think retro fitting is possible but it very expensive maybe $15K or more! Labor is huge part of it(1/3). You talking about install a new transmission and housing.
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #441
DevilKnightFalcon

Just broke 67% in favor of the automatic!

Old 04-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #442
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
2 to 1
Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #443
hv92

Drives: .
its funny how some people are complaining paddles are going to be placed in here and ****ing up the design and making the steering wheel less "ergonomic" . God damn it people its not like you are going to be staring at the damn interior the whole time, YOU WILL SMOKING AMOST EVERYTHING OUT THERE! Get with the times. Old muscle cars are dead. Autos are faster. You cannot outshift a damn computer. And that crap about "being one with the car" and "being a true sports car it has to have a manual" .. get that out of here. Its 2011 folks. Get with the times.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #444
hv92

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up5dn View Post
Looks like I am in the minority here, but only making a manual transmission was one of my very favorite features of this car. This is a drivers car! Those with money to burn can still buy the car and have a shop shoehorn an auto in it so they can drive like (insert your own analogy here).

I voted to leave it as GM intended.

fail.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #445
DevilKnightFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
2 to 1
Hey GM....CAN YOU HEAR US NOW!?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #446
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Yes!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #447
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
I will enjoy my new ZL-1 with a manual transmission. If you want an auto it should be an option!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #448
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Absolutely yes. I won't buy one without an auto.
My L99 with a tune shifts plenty fast so I don't have to fuss with it in traffic and from light to light.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote