Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
My 1st autox need advice

Im going to my 1st auto x this weekend. For those who have experience, what do I set my nannies to.. competition mode or just turn it off?

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
IMO, there are so many different variables including your driving ability to give a definite answer. When I went a couple weeks ago I went around in wet mode and really concentrated on where I was on the track and getting the best line. It was also cold and wet but I was able to turn it up as the day dried and warmed up.

Concentrate on the track and getting a good line, not taking out cones and when to brake and accelerate. Let the nannies do their thing and one you are comfortable on the AutoX then start cranking it up. That's what worked for me but I was able to get lots of runs so you'll need to see how your day plays out.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Concentrate on the track and getting a good line, not taking out cones and when to brake and accelerate. Let the nannies do their thing and one you are comfortable on the AutoX then start cranking it up. That's what worked for me but I was able to get lots of runs so you'll need to see how your day plays out.
^ THIS ^

Your first? Definitely leave the nannies on and just get a feel for what you can do... then start pushing it (still with nannies). Better to have slower times than to spin out or wreck. Nannies will prevent that, for the most part.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Lay off the gas around turns or you'll be fish tailing out of turn just like me on my first time lol.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
All very good advice and I cuncur. Keep an eye on tire pressures, this is where all the action(s) contact.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
I cant personally be of much help, but there is a section on this forum that you can probably get a lot of info. I would even re-post your thread there, since its specifically people who do these types of events. Here is the link for you too: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219

I hope that you find some good info, good luck and have fun at your first event!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Brake hard going into turns, but once you are in the turn, get off of the brake and let the car's momentum take you around. You don't want to be braking while you are already in the turn. As you're coming out of the turn, get on the gas!

As far as nannies go, like others above have said, keep them all on for your first few runs. When you get comfortable with your car, you can start turning some or all of them off. It all depends on your driving skills and how your car is set up.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
I thought the 2SS just has the ability to turn ST and TC on and off, does the SS have competition mode?

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #9
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
Im going to my 1st auto x this weekend. For those who have experience, what do I set my nannies to.. competition mode or just turn it off?
Keep everything on. Get used to the power and course. You should most likely be able to stay in 2nd so just leave it there. Someone will ride with you on your first run to help you out and a course walk before also will help. Have fun don't worry about times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity149 View Post
I thought the 2SS just has the ability to turn ST and TC on and off, does the SS have competition mode?
Yes you do have competitive mode - click T/C twice.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 AM   #10
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
rember slow is smooth and smooth is fast
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Thanks a lot guys for all the advise.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote