Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The new Camaro V6 might be the best model of the entire lineup!

I wanted to share this with you guys, because I thought it was a very good writeup. And quite conservative as far as expectations, which raises hopes even higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guionM
....and here's why:
The LY7 3.6 V6 version of the Pontiac G8 weighs 3885 pounds, has a 256 horsepower, and 252 lbs/ft of torque. It runs 7 seconds to 60 and the quarter in the low 15s at just over 90 mph, and gets 17/25 mpg according to the EPA.
The LLT 3.6 direct injection V6 produces just over 300 hp, 272 ft/lbs of torque. In the Cadillac CTS, the vehicle weight is 3874. It does 0-60 in about 6.3 seconds and the quarter in just under 15 seconds at 95 mph. It gets 17/26 mpg.

The new Camaro will likely be roughly a similar weight as the Holden Monaro/Pontiac GTO.
While the V8 versions weighed in around 3700 pounds, the Monaro CV6 had a supercharged 3.8 V6 engine, and had a curb weight of just over 3500 pounds. It had just 229 hp and 277 ft/lbs of torque. It ran 0-100K (0-62 mph) in the mid 6 second range. It came only with an automatic.
It's not a far jump to see why the V6 5 speed Camaro apparently stole the show with the focus group currently checking out preproduction 5th gens.
With nothing more than the regular V6, with 3500 pounds and the right gearing, a V6 Camaro would be a blast to drive. With over 300 pounds under the G8, it's not unreasonable for a manual Camaro to reach 60 in 6 seconds flat and possibly less with the quarter in the upper 90s.
But that's not even the top V6.
The 3.6 direct injected V6 would absolutely scream in the new Camaro.
It has over 25 more horsepower than the LT1 Camaro did. In a 5th gen, it would weigh roughly as much as the 4th gen LT1 did. Again, with the right gearing, it would make up the torque difference between the two.
In short, if Camaro ends up with the DI V6 (not even considering a possible increase in horsepower between now and next year), a 6 speed manual with good gearing, an agressive rear axle ratio, and comes in at the CV6's 3500 pounds, we should have a V6 Camaro that will roughly split the difference between the LT1 and LS1 Camaro in performance!

To top it off, the 17/26 mpg fuel economy of a DI Camaro is idenical to the 4 liter base Mustang with nowhere near the same power (the GT is rated at 15/23).
Even more impressive, this performance is available at better fuel economy than the current Evo (16/22), Eclipse V6 (16/25), VW R32 (18/23), Nisan 350Z (18/25), and matches the G37 coupe (17/26).
Even the Accord coupe (17/25) comes up short next to a 300+ hp DI V6 Camaro.
Forget about someone's arbitrary weight number. Perish the though about the new Camaro being a gas guzzling pig.
The new Camaro is shaping up to be something potentially big as long as GM gets the word out and Chevy gets people to test drive them.
And, bless their hearts, you don't need to get a top level V8 to actually have a great car! If you get the V8, you'll probally add 200 pounds to the Camaro, heap another $4-5000 hit on the sticker (not to mention higher insurence) and take a 2 mpg hit on fuel economy (and certainly more on day-to-day driving), and might even give up something on the fun factor. A DI V6 would be the best of all worlds.

I'm convinced that GM DID learn their lesson from the 4th gen.

Latest drag time on a DI CTS:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Cadillac-CT...lip-14133.html
There are only two things I would add/change:
It will handle brilliantly due to it's 50/50 distribution of it's relatively low weight.

And while quoting EPA ratings for the engine in as it is in the CTS, he didn't account for the estimated 300 lbs weight loss. (That's what I meant by conservative estimates) I think the fuel economy will go up just slightly in the Camaro.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I wanted to share this with you guys, because I thought it was a very good writeup. And quite conservative as far as expectations, which raises hopes even higher.

There are only two things I would add/change:
It will handle brilliantly due to it's 50/50 distribution of it's relatively low weight.

And while quoting EPA ratings for the engine in as it is in the CTS, he didn't account for the estimated 300 lbs weight loss. (That's what I meant by conservative estimates) I think the fuel economy will go up just slightly in the Camaro.
Hmmm... after this weekend, I wouldn't argue with this kind of speculation...

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I've seen a lot of comments on the forums from various people saying that if the V6 Camaro doesn't have a sticker price of under $XYZ then it's going to be DOA, or if the V6 version doesn't cost the same as a V6 Mustang then then Mustang will kill it, etc.

Now I'm beginning to think that the V6 Mustang is sort of not the competition. It seems like Chevrolet has conceded the low-end market and has set it's sights on a more upscale buyer. Maybe it's not really fair to compare the two cars anymore because they are not aimed at the same people.

Think more about appealing to the potential V8 Mustang buyer instead, or the buyer who wants a sporty coupe that is not interested in the V6 Mustang because of it's "rental car" quality/reputation, but doesn't want a V8 because of gas prices, or insurance...

I'm beginning to think that GM is trying to separate the Camaro from the Mustang to appeal to a wider audience and not fight for the same dollars from the same people.

This could get very interesting.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
This is AWESOME news. We all know that the V6 versions of all the pony cars is what sets it's lifespan. If our V6 is that badass, then the Camaro may reign king on that stance alone.

Hell, the V6 convertible may be the best seller of all the models...that much peppy fun, economy AND topless? Rental car fleets and housewives unite to make 30k units alone.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I got a feeling my HHR is destined to be retired in a couple years.
Welcome to the family 2011 Camaro V6 Convertible...
Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Sphinx002

Drives: .
Glad to hear, however, I already own two 3.6L GM's and my 'maro isn't going to be another one. V8 and I don't care what the gas prices are.
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Hmmm... after this weekend, I wouldn't argue with this kind of speculation...

Best regardSS,

Elie

Agreed...........I'm telling you, no dissappointment.......
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
this is good news for those who dont want to put up with an gas tag of 5k a year
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Although I have no intention on purchasing the V6, I'd definately be interested in driving one; who knows? Maybe I'll change my mind. The more options the better

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Whoever wrote that article seems to be ignoring the fact that the DI 3.6 the Camaro gets wont be 300 horse, it will be detuned to 260.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
Sphinx002

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Whoever wrote that article seems to be ignoring the fact that the DI 3.6 the Camaro gets wont be 300 horse, it will be detuned to 260.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

No it won't. Even the detuned version in the Lambda's aren't 260hp. Thanks for the laugh.
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
mmmmm....no? Where was that confirmed? Becuase Fbodfather responded to that 'article' with his sly "You're a wise man"...

If you're referring to that Bob Lutz article...I wouldn't put to much stake into that. The way the author wrote it, and the confusion over how Bob said what - and of course the "premium" controversy. I tossed that article into the trash almost right after I read it.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I do believe that if the V6 Camaro is not priced at the same level as the Mustang V6, it wll never overtake Ford Mustang sales numbers period. I don't care how popular Transformer's makes the Camaro.. Parent's still have to pony up enough money to buy their 18 year old a new car. In the case for us older folks who are enthusiasts, most of us will not settle for a V6 Camaro, no matter what the performance numbers are. I'm quite sure the V8 Camaro will knock thhe socks off of the V6 Camaro anyday...It would be silly to make a V6 as fast as the V8 for many reasons.... I am hoping the base V8 Camaro can compete against the current base Corvette in numbers and that the top dog Camaro SS will smoke the pants off of the base Corvette on a track. Ultimately, if all the statements and hype about the new V6 Camaro are true, then the marketing team should make sure every single car magazine and even popular show's like Top Gear get their hands on one to compare with all its competitors in the same price range..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
So from that would it be safe to assume that the DI V6 in the camaro could run low 5 secs to 60mph?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote