Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #15
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISCAM View Post
This is an important detail to check for. A lot of times this detail gets overlooked. The best way to eliminate air pockets is to start the car and idle it until it reaches the thermostat opening temp. That will get the coolant flowing in the system. From there, add coolant/ distilled water (NEVER use tap water) until it's full. All air will be displaced by the coolant if this is done properly.
Some comments on the above:

To eliminate air, you need to run the car with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens, and then run it a few minutes more to let the air out.

If there was any air, the level in the radiator will drop. At that point, you can shut the engine off and top off the radiator. Then replace the cap and adjust the level in the surge tank as well.

The way I deal with the distilled vs tap water question is to avoid it by buying 50/50 premixed Dexcool. That is more expensive, but this Camaro is you baby, right?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #16
jprodun1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Some comments on the above:

To eliminate air, you need to run the car with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens, and then run it a few minutes more to let the air out.

If there was any air, the level in the radiator will drop. At that point, you can shut the engine off and top off the radiator. Then replace the cap and adjust the level in the surge tank as well.

The way I deal with the distilled vs tap water question is to avoid it by buying 50/50 premixed Dexcool. That is more expensive, but this Camaro is you baby, right?

Thank you! Exactly what i did.

Have replaced coolant on my bikes before, so am familiar a bit.

The attached picture shows the temp idling for about 10 minutes after my drive home today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jprodun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #17
jprodun1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Exploring ideas on where the coolant might’ve gone to, I’ve check if I get any white smoke from the exhaust from cold start while warming up as well as the condition of the oil, and everything seems normal. Temps still stay at normal levels (190 and below while cruising and up to 203 or less idling) and no puddles on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jprodun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #18
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Just so people know when doing things like a cam or etc you need to have the car up in the front to bleed out the air that can get trapped when you fill the system, its a known fact to help get trapped air out....Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #19
smegal417

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Dex cool is over priced junk.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
smegal417 is offline   Reply With Quote