Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
HIOFECR

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS
Saturn Sky

Anyone else wish that GM would've saved the Saturn Sky and turned it into a Chevy ( a la the GEO Tracker = Chevy Tracker ). I wasn't much of a fan of the Solstice but the Sky is a great looking ride, sadly I guess the sales numbers didn't support saving it, but it was a great looking little roadster.

Discuss....

SQUEEZE THROTTLE. FEEL GROUND RUMBLE
HIOFECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I was a big fan of the Solstice. With the death of Pontiac and Saturn I would have loved to seen the birth of a baby Vette.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
The problem with the Sky was that while it was very nice looking, the rest of the car wasn't very good. The inside was an ergonomic disaster. I sat in one once on a dealer lot, and it was so uncomfortable and awkward, I didn't even want to drive it. Arm rests where all in the wrong places and at the wrong level, your elbow would hit the center console when pulling the shifter downward, the cup-holders slide out sideways into the space where your legs are supposed to go, buttons and controls where placed in weird locations....like I said, interior was a disaster. When sitting in one, you feel like a cartoon character who sat in a bucket and got stuck.

The performance numbers were also mediocre for the NA 2.4L volume engine, and the fuel economy was just plain terrible for a 4-cylinder two-seater. (It was actually less efficient than the larger, heavier, and almost twice as powerful V6 Camaro). The ridiculously oversized wheels and tires meant a lot of unspung weight and rotational interia for such a small car with a 4-cyl as well.

Basically, what I'm saying is to have kept it around longer as something else, it would have needed A LOT of redesigning. It also didn't share enough parts/a platform with anything else, and I believe it even had a production facility all to itself. The economics weren't even close, and GM should never have built it to begin with just from a business sense.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
We had these over here as the "Opel GT"...

I made a test drive in one, and was to say the least, disappointed by the performance (coming from a 240hp, 745kg Lotus Elise).

When I asked the sales guy to see the boot, he turned red... the only place to store something like i.e. a laptop is on the passenger seat...
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I use to love the Sky.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIOFECR View Post
Anyone else wish that GM would've saved the Saturn Sky and turned it into a Chevy ( a la the GEO Tracker = Chevy Tracker ). I wasn't much of a fan of the Solstice but the Sky is a great looking ride, sadly I guess the sales numbers didn't support saving it, but it was a great looking little roadster.

Discuss....

The problem is that Geo was sold through Chevy dealerships and it was easy to do that. Shutting down Saturn dealers and rebadging the cars would have been a no no. That would have required a redesign to at least some degree..............that maybe fixed some of the issues (see below).

When GM bough Daewoo for the second time, they had to wait for each model to be redesigned before they could be badged a Chevrolet due to the closing of all Daewoo dealerships in the U.S.

But I think there would be room in the GM lineup for something like the Sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
The problem with the Sky was that while it was very nice looking, the rest of the car wasn't very good. The inside was an ergonomic disaster. I sat in one once on a dealer lot, and it was so uncomfortable and awkward, I didn't even want to drive it. Arm rests where all in the wrong places and at the wrong level, your elbow would hit the center console when pulling the shifter downward, the cup-holders slide out sideways into the space where your legs are supposed to go, buttons and controls where placed in weird locations....like I said, interior was a disaster. When sitting in one, you feel like a cartoon character who sat in a bucket and got stuck.

The performance numbers were also mediocre for the NA 2.4L volume engine, and the fuel economy was just plain terrible for a 4-cylinder two-seater. (It was actually less efficient than the larger, heavier, and almost twice as powerful V6 Camaro). The ridiculously oversized wheels and tires meant a lot of unspung weight and rotational interia for such a small car with a 4-cyl as well.

Basically, what I'm saying is to have kept it around longer as something else, it would have needed A LOT of redesigning. It also didn't share enough parts/a platform with anything else, and I believe it even had a production facility all to itself. The economics weren't even close, and GM should never have built it to begin with just from a business sense.
Having one now, I don't disagree at all on the ergonomics. But I'm guessing by your comments that you didn't drive a Red Line. I have the 2.0 DI Turbo and it gets better milage than a V6 Camaro and with the GMPP calibration will pretty much keep up with an SS.

But for me the price was the down fall. When it was $19,995 for a base convertible, it was pretty nice, even without a power lock button on the early cars, a pair of cupholders that were so bad that one of them was simply removed and the other remains one of the top 5 warranty items for both cars. Can you imagine a cup holder being one of your top warranty items? But my Red Line stickered at $36,000. Paid a lot less for it due to the deals offered when they were shutting down Saturn. But at $36,000 you don't expect to put up with those ergo issues.

For us, though it replaced a sport/touring motorcycle. And it is wonderful car when you compare it that way.

It was a good concept and remains a beauiful car.

Oh and the fuel pump sticking up in the middle of the trunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
We had these over here as the "Opel GT"...

I made a test drive in one, and was to say the least, disappointed by the performance (coming from a 240hp, 745kg Lotus Elise).

When I asked the sales guy to see the boot, he turned red... the only place to store something like i.e. a laptop is on the passenger seat...
LOL, not much would compare to driving an 1800 pound car with 240 HP. That is what we call a go cart. Instant acclereation with that little weight. The Solstice/Sky adds about 1,000 pounds to that.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
I owned three Solstices (06-1k #83, and two GXP's), loved all three........my Vette fills the void.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
xlroadster
Support Bill A09426!

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
It's a niche car. Historically, convertible sales are destined for limited production. Sure, the Sky/Solstice gave us buyers an alternative to the Miata, but it was never going to steal buyers away from those other 2-seat roadsters (Boxster, TT, SLK to name a few).

It sucks because the styling was awesome. If they never made an XLR-V, I would have bought one.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
PeeBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

LOL, not much would compare to driving an 1800 pound car with 240 HP. That is what we call a go cart. Instant acclereation with that little weight. The Solstice/Sky adds about 1,000 pounds to that.

Erhm, a 2330 pound car with 600hp?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Fuel Fire Desire

Drives: 2011 M6 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Erhm, a 2330 pound car with 600hp?
One word: Mallet

Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
This is our current Redline with the same setup as Number3 with Magnaflow 3" and it is very fast ...
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
PeeBee

I'll stick to this though

Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I love the sky. I crane my neck at every one I see.
Solstice hardtops look pretty snazzy too.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
I love the sky. I crane my neck at every one I see.
Solstice hardtops look pretty snazzy too.
+1.
I saw my first Solstice coupe here in Vancouver last week...pretty cool looking car.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevrolet, saturn, sky, solstice