Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #7673
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Sunny, 75, wearing shorts and flips, low taxes... damn I like Texas

This was a decision made by the consulting firm of Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest.

Back to next gen Camaro tech. All round balance, light with 400 HP is a great Camaro. #3 mentioned AWD. I had given that some thought and then said, I don't think so. The Subie STi is a great car, but I prefer a RWD loose car. Then I said well maybe yes. Can you imagine a STi like Camaro powered by an LS7 When you boost the HP in a Subie the gear boxes get obscenely expensive The Tru 140 could be a 7th Gen Camaro with a killer solid monocoque, small displacement twin turbo V8 power and driveline. The 140 with that setup and AWD. Damn I'm in right now, as long as Chevy build the gear box for at least a 150 HP more than stock trim. 450 in a car that size 550
The advantage to AWD is simply traction. Today, the Corvette is traction limited. Ever drive a Z06 with TC off? A blast, but the wheels spin on command at most any low speed. I imagine a ZL1 is the same. Take the magic electronic nannies out and even the big fat rears will just smoke down to the rims. I remember my 87 Grand National. It came with 215s. I put 235s on it and they rubbed on the lower control arm up front. You could just say, "hello gas pedal" and smoke was coming off the tires. Mmmmmmmm, good memories there for sure. A smaller car will have a harder time getting 305/315s in the back. So AWD fixes the traction problem nicely.......................unless you love doing donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Not funny.....

Man do I miss the sunshine.

I would be okay with AWD but they better NEVER GO FWD......
I am sure at some point in GMs history, there was a FWD Camaro discussed. I'd be sad if it was FWD/AWD. It has to be RWD/AWD for me.

Quote:
Hmmmm.... That Saleen/Bondurant thread got me thinking. I bet turning wrenches at Bondurant would be a pretty sweet gig. I'm going to have to start networking....
And the nice thing is none of the driving schools are in snowy places.

Bondurant, Skip Barber, Ron Fellows not to mention all the OEMs that offer or are linked to performance driving schools (BMW, Porsche) are all great programs.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #7674
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Gotta love how I can crank out a one page paper on GM and globalization in less than 10 minutes.
Fen that is damn impressive....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #7675
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I remember my 87 Grand National. It came with 215s. I put 235s on it and they rubbed on the lower control arm up front. You could just say, "hello gas pedal" and smoke was coming off the tires. Mmmmmmmm, good memories there for sure.
I still have my '87 T-Type Turbo, ordered new in fall '86. $500 worth of mods (chip, '86 adj. wastegate, massaged downtube, 3" exhaust), then, had it runnin' mid-12s on Cam2, M&H Streetmasters and lots of boost!

Hotchkis front control arms, urethane bushings everywhere, B-Body spindles with 1LE front brakes, and (4) 245/50-16s on GNX-type rims (from a Player's Challenge TA)...my DD (orig. chip), April-October. Goes, handles, stops, mpgs...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #7676
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Actually took me longer to cite sources and gather relevant images than it took to write the actual paper.

It's just a proposal for the real paper, which will be 3 pages long. Should take me...an hour.

Good excuse to re-read Lutz's book though.

Oh, and Number 3, I may ask for some insight from you if that's all right.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #7677
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
You might want to read the paper first, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
I still have my '87 T-Type Turbo, ordered new in fall '86. $500 worth of mods (chip, '86 adj. wastegate, massaged downtube, 3" exhaust), then, had it runnin' mid-12s on Cam2, M&H Streetmasters and lots of boost!

Hotchkis front control arms, urethane bushings everywhere, B-Body spindles with 1LE front brakes, and (4) 245/50-16s on GNX-type rims (from a Player's Challenge TA)...my DD (orig. chip), April-October. Goes, handles, stops, mpgs...
Nice................pics please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Actually took me longer to cite sources and gather relevant images than it took to write the actual paper.

It's just a proposal for the real paper, which will be 3 pages long. Should take me...an hour.

Good excuse to re-read Lutz's book though.

Oh, and Number 3, I may ask for some insight from you if that's all right.
Let me know what you need.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #7678
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ever drive a Z06 with TC off? A blast, but the wheels spin on command at most any low speed. I imagine a ZL1 is the same. Take the magic electronic nannies out and even the big fat rears will just smoke down to the rims
OK Number 3, I confess, I'm living in the past <the Dark Ages>...except for my '02 35th Anniversary SS <no TC or Nannies>.....I have never had or driven anything with active handling, TC, or alike....I've flown 'em by the seat of my pants...and have gotten adept at keeping it under control <while loosing control>. I can't wait to get my hands on the ZL1. I will be pampered..., oh BTW Jersey Shore nut jobs are actually bonified Guido nut jobs from NY.....they make me want to RAAAALPHHH......
Quote:
Number 3, you mention China's growing voracious appetite for for oil. When the pipeline was cancelled this week from Alberta, south, the Canadian government trotted out plans for an alternative pipeline to Kitimat BC to create a terminal to send oil to you-know-where...
When the Global Economy was booming just before the Big Bang happened, China's exponential growth attributed to much of the reason why gas prices soared into the clouds<result of oil demand>. When the economy turns around, Global oil demand spurred by China's limitless growth opportunity will be a big shock to us all, driving up prices even more so I believe than the last go 'round.

BTW, ZL1 board is getting overrun, I called in an airstrike...danger close, ....take cover.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 01-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #7679
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Some of these people need to go away. They are not technically Trolling but they are riding a very fine line. You can tell that they are disagreeing just to disagree. Uggggghhhh.

Can we have one Mod that bans the Ford guys just because they are Ford guys???

We could nickname him Abrams.....

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #7680
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Anyone hear the comments on the 427 during the BJ auction when showing the 427 vert vette? not good.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #7681
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

[hehehe]

Stangers are graspin' at straws...even dissin' Ol' Shel, now...
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #7682
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Anyone hear the comments on the 427 during the BJ auction when showing the 427 vert vette? not good.
What was said?

Who paid the $600-large for the LS7 ragger? Mr. Hendricks?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #7683
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
What was said?

Who paid the $600-large for the LS7 ragger? Mr. Hendricks?
Ron Pratt I believe.
They mentioned that this looks to be the last of GM building an engine as big as a 427.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #7684
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

I'm surprized Rick passed...

Pratte sold a mess o' cars earlier today, and bought a car or two tonight...

RE: LS7...don't fall on your sword just yet, my friend...
Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #7685
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Thanks for the encouragement.

My thought is why not throw all you got at it if it's all gonna end soon (ZL1/LS9 Z28/LS7)?
Go out with a Bang!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #7686
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
BTW, ZL1 board is getting overrun, I called in an airstrike...danger close, ....take cover.
Quote:
Some of these people need to go away. They are not technically Trolling but they are riding a very fine line. You can tell that they are disagreeing just to disagree. Uggggghhhh.

Can we have one Mod that bans the Ford guys just because they are Ford guys???

We could nickname him Abrams.....

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. The 'other' guys rolled over after a couple of posts.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014