Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Found a piece was broken

So I went under the hood the other day since I was changing my own oil this time (2nd time since I got the car). When I went under I decided to check the air in take filter as well. I went to undo the clips and I found that one of them were broken and held in place by a small piece of black electrical tape. The only other time that area was possibly looked at was when I brought it to the dealer over the winter for the warranty "free" oil changes. Since I can't rotate my tires with an oil change, it was stated that they will check my filters instead. They gave me a hard time about it when I brought it in for the oil change that day since I didn't have the warranty in hand but I remember the guy saying everything was checked and OK'd. Am I a little mad? Yes, but I can't confirm that it happened at that time. My question is, can this be fixed under the bumper to bump warranty? If I install a CAI will the box be removed in the process and replaced with the after market air intake? Will this effect the sensor at any point? If nothing will be effected, I'm not really worried I guess, at least not worried enough to replace the box from my own pocket.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
revs2ninegrand

Drives: Ram, Jeep, Ducati
That sucks and yes if you install an aftermarket intake that whole black box and tubing that goes to the throttle body will be removed. You will attach the sensor to the new intake. It's very very simple!
revs2ninegrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Dealer breaking parts is not a defect, not covered. You'd have to fight with the dealership to replace it. Had a similar issue with a new Pirelli that was probably damaged when they took it off the trailer. I didn't find it until two days later when a friend looks at my tires and points it out. Had to fight for it, and only got a replacement because the GM rep could see they had put tire dressing over the missing chunk. If I had damaged it, there wouldn't be dressing on the damaged area. And if you go with an aftermarket CAI, you'll dump the stock air box. At least on the SS, assume same for the V6.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
I always take a pretty good look at my car when a dealer has it and this is why. If they break something on my car, its not leaving till they fix what they broke...

I purchased a '08 Silverado new and when I test drove it, the low tire light was on. I made an appointment for service to have the issue looked at the day I bought it. The following week, I took it in for the appointment, they call and say something bad is wrong with the PCM, so they ordered a new module that runs the TPMS. They had my truck for a week, and when I picked it up, the remote start wouldn't work. I get in, start it up and the SES light is flashing and the engine is running really rough. So I go right back in there, show it to the service manager. They then have the truck for two more weeks, then call me and tell me to come pick it up. I ask the tech what the problem was and he says "it had 3 broken valve springs". I immediately ask to speak to the service manager, and ask him wtf they did to my truck while they had it....i was very well taken care of after that.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The clips keep the air filter gasket compressed and tight, so a broken clip is worth fixing. The "mechanic" who "fixed" a broken clip with tape is a complete moron.

If you can't get the dealer to admit the mistake (and how did the clip get broken? only a moron would break it, since it is pretty sturdy) you should just replace it on your own nickel and find a new shop to do your work.

Checking filters is something any Camaro owner should be able to do him/her self, but still, you need to find a dealer you can trust, because, inevitably, you will need them for some major repair.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
The only reason I asked them to look at it was because it was part of the warranty they gave with free oil changes since my tires couldn't be rotated. I don't have them change my oil anymore because I requested synthetic instead of regular 5w-30. I was still somehow charged the full synthetic oil change price because I had to pay for the upgrade which I understood and anticipated but then they charged for extra quarts. I see it as if your cars require more, it should all be covered and I should have a discount since my original regular oil would have been free. I even got an attitude when I asked him to explain the bill to me since it didn't make sense and wasn't very clear. How much does a black air box run these days? I mean the clips are attached to the bottom section of the box which is the largest part of the unit. I hate when people try to cover shotty work up. My stupidity for not checking it out when I get home but I guess that's what I get for being lazy in the cold. I was hoping it would be covered and I could keep it as a spare in case I needed to remove the aftermarket CAI and put that one back in for some odd reason. When I do install it, I don't need to pull fuses or adjust anything else right? Just a straightforward install I'm guessing?

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
Worth a try, I had a similiar incident, part replaced no charge. Although I didn't wait out winter.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
revs2ninegrand

Drives: Ram, Jeep, Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
The only reason I asked them to look at it was because it was part of the warranty they gave with free oil changes since my tires couldn't be rotated. I don't have them change my oil anymore because I requested synthetic instead of regular 5w-30. I was still somehow charged the full synthetic oil change price because I had to pay for the upgrade which I understood and anticipated but then they charged for extra quarts. I see it as if your cars require more, it should all be covered and I should have a discount since my original regular oil would have been free. I even got an attitude when I asked him to explain the bill to me since it didn't make sense and wasn't very clear. How much does a black air box run these days? I mean the clips are attached to the bottom section of the box which is the largest part of the unit. I hate when people try to cover shotty work up. My stupidity for not checking it out when I get home but I guess that's what I get for being lazy in the cold. I was hoping it would be covered and I could keep it as a spare in case I needed to remove the aftermarket CAI and put that one back in for some odd reason. When I do install it, I don't need to pull fuses or adjust anything else right? Just a straightforward install I'm guessing?
If I were you I'd never go back to that dealer. Yes the intake install is really straight forward. The only thing you'll "unplug" is your MAF sensor which will attach to your new intake tube. If you search the DIY part of these forums or youtube it you'll find what you need! Good Luck and PM me if you need anymore help!
revs2ninegrand is offline   Reply With Quote