Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
LoganThirtyacre

Drives: Red Hot 2014 2ss Camaro Convertible
Camaro Shaking Problem!

I have a 2012 Camaro 2LT and when I am driving at around 40mph my car violently shakes sometimes. It will shake when it's idle and when I accelerate around 40mph. It feels like the engine is about to explode because it shakes the whole car! I took my Camaro to the Chevy dealer and left it with them for a few hours, They checked the engine, tires, and they told me they drove it around and nothing happened when they drove it (of course). They said if it does it again bring it back for them to check it out. My car keeps doing it and I am really upset! My Camaro only has 22,000 miles on it, and it has been doing this terrible shaking ever since I bought the car! Does anyone know why my Camaro is doing this?
LoganThirtyacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
It needs a blanket it's cold! Just kidding.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
It sounds like loose motor mounts, or a cracked motor mount. Motor mounts have been made of rubber pads for the longest time to deal with isolating the movement of the engine when it torques under load. A motor can sit on the mount and look just fine yet have it completely cracked in two and most people will not notice until the engine vibrates causing the car to vibrate at certain rpm levels. It could be other things but that is where I would start. Then I would look at the transmission mounts, and god help you timing chain etc..... As this sounds as if it is doing it at certain rpm levels. Good luck
Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
And to add to the above, plug wires, if compromised will arc under loads which in turn will break mounts. Experienced this.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
It sounds like loose motor mounts, or a cracked motor mount. Motor mounts have been made of rubber pads for the longest time to deal with isolating the movement of the engine when it torques under load. A motor can sit on the mount and look just fine yet have it completely cracked in two and most people will not notice until the engine vibrates causing the car to vibrate at certain rpm levels. It could be other things but that is where I would start. Then I would look at the transmission mounts, and god help you timing chain etc..... As this sounds as if it is doing it at certain rpm levels. Good luck
To check for motor mount failure, pop the hood, stand on the side of the car, make sure your feet are no where near the tires, have someone start engine e-brake on, hold left foot on brake. Slowly raise RPM in drive and see if engine raises. Do this in reverse also.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
Well I guess saying they didn't have any issues while they drove it is better than them experiencing the issue and claiming it is normal. Like with my issue.
3000 - 9/30
3100 - 10/27
3300 - 10/28
3400 - 10/29 TPW 11/09
3800 - 11/10
4300 - 11/24
4B00 - 11/25
4200 - 12/5
5000 - 12/7
6000 - 12/11
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
To check for motor mount failure, pop the hood, stand on the side of the car, make sure your feet are no where near the tires, have someone start engine e-brake on, hold left foot on brake. Slowly raise RPM in drive and see if engine raises. Do this in reverse also.
and don't hit your head on the hood when you jump back..... I know I did the first time I saw a broken mount, it's SCARY.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcthulhu View Post
and don't hit your head on the hood when you jump back..... I know I did the first time I saw a broken mount, it's SCARY.
Jumpin' Jack Fash it's a Gas, Gas, Gas...LMAO
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi Logan,

I am sorry that the dealership did not find the root cause of the vibration. If you would like us to set up a case for you and give your dealership a call, let us know. We are here to help out!

If you see a broken motor mount, please call your dealership right away. Keep us all posted too!

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganThirtyacre View Post
I have a 2012 Camaro 2LT and when I am driving at around 40mph my car violently shakes sometimes. It will shake when it's idle and when I accelerate around 40mph. It feels like the engine is about to explode because it shakes the whole car! I took my Camaro to the Chevy dealer and left it with them for a few hours, They checked the engine, tires, and they told me they drove it around and nothing happened when they drove it (of course). They said if it does it again bring it back for them to check it out. My car keeps doing it and I am really upset! My Camaro only has 22,000 miles on it, and it has been doing this terrible shaking ever since I bought the car! Does anyone know why my Camaro is doing this?
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote