Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Boydr12

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Screw/nail in tire

Was on the way back home yesterday when my DIC showed low sure pressure in my front right tire (26 psi). When I went to take it to the dealership today it was at 19 psi. Well there ended up being a little screw or nail right in the side wall. Had to order a new tire and hopefully it will be here tmrw. Such a pain in the arse. Pic attached
Attached Images

Boydr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
OUCH !
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
umiami2312

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic
That sucks dude... I feel your pain.... check out what happened to me like 3 weeks after bought it.

Yeah, thats the end of a wrench sticking out that i somehow managed to pick up on the highway. Guessing some construction dude had it on his bumper. I'm just happy it didn't damage the rim/wheelwell/blow my tire and spin me.
Attached Images

umiami2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
They are like magnets. I plugged mine and used it the rest of the summer before I got Michelins.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
I have had to plug my tires multiple times before I changed one of them. My new already has a nail in.

I have never had so many nails/screws in tires in my whole life. I don't drive around construction site or bad roads.

I started to think someone was trying to mess with me.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Throwing away a tire because of a puncture is ludicrous. Temporarily plug it with your tire repair kit, then bring it to a tire shop and have a mushroom-style plug installed from the inside. If they charge you more than $25 for the mushroom plug including umounting/mounting and balancing of tire, you are paying too much.

And yes, even on a track car like the 1LE. Despite what your tire shop, who is incentivized to tell you that you need to replace the tire, tells you - it is perfectly safe up to almost any speed (unless you plan on participating in the Texas mile or other high terminal-velocity event).
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydr12 View Post
Was on the way back home yesterday when my DIC showed low sure pressure in my front right tire (26 psi). When I went to take it to the dealership today it was at 19 psi. Well there ended up being a little screw or nail right in the side wall. Had to order a new tire and hopefully it will be here tmrw. Such a pain in the arse. Pic attached
Oh no!

Very sorry to see and read about the object in your tire. We definitely hope all goes well with the replacement.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Boydr12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Throwing away a tire because of a puncture is ludicrous. Temporarily plug it with your tire repair kit, then bring it to a tire shop and have a mushroom-style plug installed from the inside. If they charge you more than $25 for the mushroom plug including umounting/mounting and balancing of tire, you are paying too much.

And yes, even on a track car like the 1LE. Despite what your tire shop, who is incentivized to tell you that you need to replace the tire, tells you - it is perfectly safe up to almost any speed (unless you plan on participating in the Texas mile or other high terminal-velocity event).
Well the dealership and the tire shop said they wouldn't do it so I ordered a new one. Will be here tmrw. What makes you think you know more than them?? And I made it clear I wouldn't be buying a tire through them so no BS
Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
Billy10mm

Simple, I'm not incentivized to argue in favor of selling a new tire. I commuted to NYC all year round by sport bike for 5 years and parked for 4 of those years in a loading dock. If I replaced a tire every time I picked up a puncture I'd have gone through a dozen tires a year. I've been on the track with multiple plugs in my tires, I've been over 160mph with multiple plugs in my tires. A mushroom plug seals from the inside and barring a miracle, cannot fall out. It is held in place by air pressure and friction.

Your tire guys may not be lying to you, they may truly believe that running with a plug is dangerous, but I've been on multiple motorcycle and car forums for 15+ years and I've never heard of a mushroom plug failing when properly installed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Coyote Krause

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS
You could have put a plug in it... I have worked at several tire shops to include Les Schwab... As long as it is in the tread of the tire you can plug it... Anything in the sidewall can't be fixed...
Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
Boydr12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Krause View Post
You could have put a plug in it... I have worked at several tire shops to include Les Schwab... As long as it is in the tread of the tire you can plug it... Anything in the sidewall can't be fixed...
Look at the picture it's on the sidewall!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
its close right on the shoulder. Any tire shop will not plug that its a risk of getting sued. It is not recommended by the tire manufacturer and the company that makes the plug. Will it work sure it will 99.9??? percent of the time just fine. But 0.001 percent of the time it will blow out and mayhem ensues and people get mad and file law suits not worth it to tire shop to do it.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
its close right on the shoulder. Any tire shop will not plug that its a risk of getting sued. It is not recommended by the tire manufacturer and the company that makes the plug. Will it work sure it will 99.9??? percent of the time just fine. But 0.001 percent of the time it will blow out and mayhem ensues and people get mad and file law suits not worth it to tire shop to do it.
I hear what you're saying, and you are correct, but it will not "blow out". I know what happens when a plug comes out as I had the same stick plug come out two days in a row, in the same corner, both times at full lean (knee was down). The plug comes out, air rushes out over the next 4 to 8 seconds, tire gets a little squirrely at first which causes you to slow down thinking "wtf?" and before you know it, you're pulled over on the shoulder and the tire is flat.

I once ran over an L-shaped metal bracket in the Holland Tunnel on my way into Manhattan to go to work and it cut a 3" long slice/tear/rip right into my front tire - went so deep in it scratched the inside of the rim. Even that wasn't a "blow out", air, like Elvis, simply left the building. Totally drama-free. Unlike the process that was trying to tow me and my motorcycle out of the Holland Tunnel.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I hate that this happened to you. I have had nail in a tire, never lost pressure, and the dealer simply pulled the nail and plugged the tire under my tire / wheel insurance. I just pulled a small nail out of the middle of the sidewall this weekend. Again, no leak, so I guess I am just getting lucky!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote