Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Laps at Watkins Glen

So in the beginning of October a bunch of people from Upstate C5 went to Watkins Glen and honestly ran some pretty fast laps considering they were paced laps. Anyhow....while we were waiting to run our second set of laps there were open wheel race cars running the track.We timed them doing a lap approx. every 52 seconds! The glen is a big track so that is pretty damn fast. i always mount my go pro on my car when we do laps, and in this video i can tell you i was over 110 on the front strait, and moving pretty good the rest of the time. i took one of our laps (us v6ers really got to go all out!) and double timed it jut to get an idea of just how fast those open wheels were going. well doubling our lap puts it at 1:30...they would have done 2 laps in about 1:40....pretty wild!

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Can you post the video..? I love that track. I would like to see some of those laps. I have only taken laps at Rockingham NC and in Charlotte NC. Those were in my old mustang.
Coop1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Coop1701

Sorry.. Video doesn't show on your post while I'm at work. Had to log in on my phone to see it.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Bear in mind that at the old 'Grand Prix Glen' prior to 1971, F1 Grand Prix races were scheduled there.

For instance, in 1967, Graham Hill in the Lotus 49 had a fastest lap of the race at 1.06.0, the race being won by his Lotus Team-mate, Scotsman Jimmy Clark.

This race is featured in the film 'Nine Days in Summer'. Tragically Clark died at Hockenheim six months later. Hill died in the early '70s in a plane crash. His son is Damon Hill.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop1701 View Post
Can you post the video..? I love that track. I would like to see some of those laps. I have only taken laps at Rockingham NC and in Charlotte NC. Those were in my old mustang.
I go by "The Rock" fairly often on visits to Pinehurst. I'd love to do a few laps there, just to say I did. Do they have such events fairly often there.

Going to try Googling it but would appreciate some info from one who has been there.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
MATTESONDM

Drives: 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10
thats sweet man! How much did they charge ya for the day?
Old 11-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I go by "The Rock" fairly often on visits to Pinehurst. I'd love to do a few laps there, just to say I did. Do they have such events fairly often there.

Going to try Googling it but would appreciate some info from one who has been there.
It appears The Rock is going down. http://beyondtheflag.com/2014/09/19/...y-seized-bank/

If the current owners can't sell it by January 2015, the bank will own it. That's a shame... another piece of automotive racing history slipping quietly into the night.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTESONDM View Post
thats sweet man! How much did they charge ya for the day?
Since they are "paced" laps, we pay $15 per 3 laps in large groups otherwise it's $25 normally. They only run 2 sets of 3 laps per day, one set at noon and one at 5, track days are around $600 per weekend I believe.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Coop1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post

I lived there for about 5 years in the 90's... They use to host track events there and the Drag Strip across the road. But I don't believe they do it anymore. I use to live in Rockingham and work in Pinehurst. So I passed that place every day. I liked driving it. The different banking in each turn made it fun.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Nice video to bad there is no sound. I wish Mid Ohio did something like this I would really want to lap that a few times.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Two rules they insist on. Your not allowed to pass or no lagging back to speed up. And they in force these rules your asked to leave the track. No refund and don't come back. If you are afraid to stay with the crowd you also are asked to leave. But we have a hell of a good time. Upstate C 5 does a good job on the track. I stay in the back but stay with them that way I get to go a little slower.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Tim_Hamilton

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, '14 Silverado
Yea, that was alot of fun. A great experience for sure. Hopefully will be able to do it again nexy year!

But we did 3 sets of 3 laps in Jun and one of us did a 4th!
Tim_Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
I managed my best paced laps there during this falls UpstateC5 trip.
118 on the main straight and 109 at the top of the esses.
We all behave ourselves and sometimes we get extra laps and our favorite pace car driver definately lets us run quicker than any other paced group that I've seen there.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Hamilton View Post
Yea, that was alot of fun. A great experience for sure. Hopefully will be able to do it again nexy year!

But we did 3 sets of 3 laps in Oct and one of us did a 4th!
Like ZedSled said we will probably have to get all are track time in before July. There suppose to be repaving the track next year.