Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #43
Dr.Manhattan

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
For you V6 guys and gals...don't fret. Soon there will be threads about SS guys and gals telling stories of having to upgrade to the ZL1 because they only had 400/426 horsepower...not 580.
True enough, I already want a ZL1. I almost wish they never made them lol, because I can just see people asking me " Is that the ZL1 ?! " , no.... it's ONLY the SS, geez.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #44
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Depends on the culture.

Folks like the way it looks. They don't care if its v6/v8. I'm not ashamed as its not like those v6/v8s in the 80s.
The v6 is fast and it does satisfying.

Problem is I know there is a better option there and deserve it. The selling point was better mpg but still w/power.
But my avg mpg (17-21) is the same as an ss. I can pay for 93 octane and more insurance.

So I have regrets now. Trading it in means lost in the trade in.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #45
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
For you V6 guys and gals...don't fret. Soon there will be threads about SS guys and gals telling stories of having to upgrade to the ZL1 because they only had 400/426 horsepower...not 580.
Exactly right. I think the 'insecurity' level around here will be soaring into the stratosphere pretty soon.

I will laugh and continue to enjoy my ride...
Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #46
rchrdp305

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS
I dont mind others hating on the V6. =]. too each its own. i just say, hey I do 30 mpg and with gas going up its swell. V8 are nice though nonetheless
Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #47
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
I'm with you. What really makes me laugh is the people that upgrade to the V8 a year later and try to convince us that they got such a great deal that they didn't lose any money upgrading to the V8. Yea right. I have some beach front Kansas property for sale too. Basic economies of scale will show you will take a loss but if that is what you want OK, just don't try to B.S. me that you didn't lose money. Just my .02.

It does sound like you got a good price on the V8 though.
I agree. There are those one-in-a-million deals, but more than likely, you're gonna get hosed. I took a pretty decent hit when I traded in, but now I have what I want. Lesson learned

Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #48
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGreene View Post
I know what you mean. A few of us guys were in the local ginmill one afternoon when one of the guys pulled in with the 1st '93 in town.
We were all checking it out until he announced it was a 6. We silently shook our heads and went back inside as we sadly said "Nice car"
lol...so you felt bad for the guy because he spent his hard earned money on a car he was proud to own and you obviously liked until your ridiculous bias got to you?

Great story bro!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Gonna be somewhat serious here for once. I don't think ANYONE here dislikes the 6 cylinders. It's just that the 8 cylinder has a lot more to like about it.

Think of it like sex. One is the missionary. Another is the Kama Sutra. In the end, both are still sex, right?
I wish I could believe that noone disliked the six. (I know that is untrue) I can accept the fact that people simply don't want it because it doesn't have a V8. Understand that perfectly well and I'm OK with it!

What I don't get is how some people here can't seem to find a shred of appreciation for it?

Its been getting pretty bad in here lately.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #49
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
What people may be thinking are the V6 options from back in the day.

A v6 in the 90s was around 140 or 200hp was typically underpowered or "eh good enough" so they can get the same looking car. Plus gas was cheap so the V6 seemed the lame option.

Those days are gone. With the increase efficiency and power that matches V8s from just a few years ago, the V6 option is no longer an underpowered option. Now its all about requirements at the time of purchase. Get what you can afford.

What's happening now is folks they were ok with the v6 now want the insane power the "no-so-guzzling-anymore" V8 provides.
Others (and it appears most based on # of threads) are very satisfied with the V6's 312 HP and they use the money they save for other life goals.

Even if the V6 had 390 HP stock and the V8 was 500 hp, some V6 people with would still want the V8.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #50
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali4nia58 View Post
I'm surprised people trade in their V6 because they can't hold their head high when someone else asks if its a 6 or an 8. Seems like such a waste to spend so much money on a Camaro to lose several grand in upgrading to a V8 a year later. No disrespect but if you couldn't afford the SS last year it probably isn't the best way to spend your money a year later. I say that tongue in check because I throw ridiculous money at my car in mods when I should be saving it or spending it elsewhere. I do get the questions about the engine, but Im not embarrassed by the 6. Its what I could afford and its what works for me. Plus its still faster than the cars of most people who ask the question in the first place. If I had an extra 10K laying around would I want a 2SS/RS...hellz yes! but I don't and I'm not embarrassed by it. I'm 32 and own a couple properties in America's Finest City and drive a beautiful car. Can't complain.

All that said...congrats on the upgrade! Sounds like a great deal to me!

EDIT: And that Steve Jobs / Bill Gates shit is fuh-knee!

There we have it!

Have some pride in what you own...sheesh people...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #51
Griffstar

Drives: Shadowfax-2010 1LT Summit White A6
It seems to me that many people who deride the V6 are just trying to make up for shortcomings in other parts of their life. I bought a V6 because I wanted to. No other reason. I couldn't be happier and didn't want a V8 then or now. I didn't need to buy a V8 to make myself feel better than others, to dispell "buyers remorse", and certainly not because of a lack of endowment.

To the OP, glad you bought what makes you feel happy, thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

2010 Camaro 1LT Summit White A6, Injen longtube, MRT v2.0, black gill slits, black bowties.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #52
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
who gives a rat's arse when you can say my V6 is faster than most V8 LOOL!!

Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Closed Thread