Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Stock Grille Idea

I have this idea on modifying a stock grille. I can't justify spending hundreds on the heritage grill even though it looks great.

My idea would utilize a stock grille and be much less. Anyone have a spare stock grille they want to put up for testing? I'm open for input on this too.

I didn't want this to be a 'beg' or 'gimme something for free' thread so if anyone sends me their grille, I'll send it back when it is modified.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
i think you're going to have to give us more info on what you're going to do.....
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
awfarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepirate View Post
i think you're going to have to give us more info on what you're going to do.....
Add lights to it.

I'll be cutting a few sections out of it about a 1/4" wide and adding some custom made led fixtures behind it. It will all be mounted/wired into a single 12v connection which can be easily tapped for DRL's or any other combination of power you want to give it. I can make it any color including RGB, which is what I'm doing for myself. I'll have mine synchronized with my halos and behind-the-grille lights.

I just don't want to pull my bumper and remove mine and have it off for days until I get everything settled. Some people on here may have one lying around that they don't need or whatever. That's why I need to "borrow" one lol.

If I use someone's on the forum I'll be adding white lights into it as test piece. What they do with it once it's made and they get it back is up to them. I'm no scam artist either, you will get it back when it is finished but I don't know yet if it will even work or be worth the time with a stock grille.

Let me know if you're interested or have one you don't need.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Check out this sale thread posted this morning. That's not a bad price for a stock grill and you are probably not going to find any cheaper. I have one hanging on my wall that I paid $60 for including shipping.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269022
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
I've got one if you want to pay shipping. This sounds like a great idea with lights and stuff. If you want it, you can use it for this and send it back if it all works out. Just let me know. It's just hanging in my garage at the moment. My exterior is setup with RGB lights now as well so this would be great. I might still have a box it'll fit in to ship it if I haven't painted something on the box yet haha. I can let you know if you want. PM me and we can work something out. The grille is brand new, never been on a car. I bought it in a bundle from someone local, had no use for it except as decoration.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
awfarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
I've got one if you want to pay shipping. This sounds like a great idea with lights and stuff. If you want it, you can use it for this and send it back if it all works out. Just let me know. It's just hanging in my garage at the moment. My exterior is setup with RGB lights now as well so this would be great. I might still have a box it'll fit in to ship it if I haven't painted something on the box yet haha. I can let you know if you want. PM me and we can work something out. The grille is brand new, never been on a car. I bought it in a bundle from someone local, had no use for it except as decoration.
Awesome, I'll PM you in a bit.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Good deal. Hope it all works out!
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
Add lights to it.

I'll be cutting a few sections out of it about a 1/4" wide and adding some custom made led fixtures behind it. It will all be mounted/wired into a single 12v connection which can be easily tapped for DRL's or any other combination of power you want to give it. I can make it any color including RGB, which is what I'm doing for myself. I'll have mine synchronized with my halos and behind-the-grille lights.

I just don't want to pull my bumper and remove mine and have it off for days until I get everything settled. Some people on here may have one lying around that they don't need or whatever. That's why I need to "borrow" one lol.

If I use someone's on the forum I'll be adding white lights into it as test piece. What they do with it once it's made and they get it back is up to them. I'm no scam artist either, you will get it back when it is finished but I don't know yet if it will even work or be worth the time with a stock grille.

Let me know if you're interested or have one you don't need.
You might as well try looking for a cheap stock grille for sale. Unless someone was dying to have their spare grille modified, without seeing any pictures, I can't imagine the point of sending the grille back. It probably might be harder to sell after it's been modified. If you can't justify spending hundreds on a Heritage grille, try the ZL1 grille or just keep the stock one the way it is.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
awfarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
You might as well try looking for a cheap stock grille for sale. Unless someone was dying to have their spare grille modified, without seeing any pictures, I can't imagine the point of sending the grille back. It probably might be harder to sell after it's been modified. If you can't justify spending hundreds on a Heritage grille, try the ZL1 grille or just keep the stock one the way it is.
I've already got one on the way from MackMan, but thanks for the input
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
awfarley

Update: Got the grille in from MackMan and finally got my led's I ordered. Next stop is fabricating the light bars I'll be inserting behind the grille and then cutting into it to actually mount them. I'll be adding amber turn signals that will wire directly into the bar.

I have a three day weekened coming up and should be able to get some pictures and possibly a video depending on how far I get.

Wish me luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
kosmo
Finally Satisfied

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS M6
I for one wish you luck! Not my style but I am sure if you are successful you will inspire others to try. That is what makes this forum so great! Hope it works out and will look forward to seeing your pics!

Kosmo
kosmo is offline   Reply With Quote