Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
The only problem I've had so far is that the voice lady inside it can't understand English. For instance, when I say "Store" for it to store a phone number, it either asks if I said "Onstar" or it tells me Pandora is not available. I need to get to the dealer for a voice lady upgrade.
Reminds me of the voice recognition for making phone calls. I don't have MyLink, have a 2012, but I programmed "Home" into my bluetooth address book. Almost every single time I say "Call home" it comes back with "Help... For help blah blah blah blah blah blah blah..." It usually takes 4-5 tries before it recognizes "Home"

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
JJKJ

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Disclaimer: I have Mylink but without nav. However, I did test drive and play with a Mylink with nav.

I think Mylink is ok, but not great, especially when compared to what other manufacturers offer. I had Sync with nav in my F150 and we have UConnect with nav in our Jeep Wrangler.

First Mylink has no HDD for saving pics or music to the car.

Mylink has no split screen. With both the Sync and UConnect radios you can have a split screen with two different operations displayed. I know Mylink does have multiple operations one screen but it's not as refined in my opinion.

Mylink has problems displaying images in higher resolution (from my experience larger than 2MB files). Come on GM, even most phones take high resolution pics now. However, since you can't use any of the pics you view for background or save them to the car, I'm not even sure why you would want to just look at pics anyway?

Mylink doesn't allow you to change the background or display photos as background. With UConnect and Sync, once you upload a pic, it can be used as a background pic on the split screen. Mylink only allows you to turn the background graphic on or off.

That's just a few issues I've found so far. Maybe I'm missing something in the manual (just did a cursory quick read) and if so, I'm open to hearing how to get those functions on Mylink.
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
Saint_Shroomie

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS
It's usable, but using it makes my smartphone feel like a super computer. The voice commands are practically unusable, the voice recognition software is terrible. I wish it could just pipe commands directly to my phone. I hate not being able to say stuff like "Navigate to <fill in the blank>" like I can on my phone. The GPS software once you get it navigating isn't terrible, but just finding the address to a restaurant you know is in the area is such a pain. As others have said, using the USB port to play music has it's own issues. I have pretty much settled on exclusively using the bluetooth connection to play my music either through the bluetooth auxilliary or the pandora app. As I've said in another thread, I'm of the opinion myLink should be scrapped (the software that is) and replaced with a custom chevy android setup.
Saint_Shroomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
I don't really use it to it's full potential, but i like it. It's just kind of "cool" to have a touch screen in your car. It kind of sucks though. They need to update it. The pandora app wont work with iphones. The bluetooth is shaky sometimes. (It wouldn't work for awhile with my iphone 5 but that problem was fixed once i did the iphone update)

Over all, i would absolutely pay the extra for it again, but they have a lot of issues they should fix.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepirate View Post
I don't really use it to it's full potential, but i like it. It's just kind of "cool" to have a touch screen in your car. It kind of sucks though. They need to update it. The pandora app wont work with iphones. The bluetooth is shaky sometimes. (It wouldn't work for awhile with my iphone 5 but that problem was fixed once i did the iphone update)

Over all, i would absolutely pay the extra for it again, but they have a lot of issues they should fix.
I use pandora with no problem at all with my iPhone both thought Bluetooth and USB.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #20
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Eh...gripes here and there. Mainly it's kinda slow and not that responsive. I'm sure it would have been a state of the art interface in 2005, but we're all used to the responsiveness of iPhones etc, so MyLink feels antiquated.

I wish there were a way to turn the screen off without going through the menu. When you push the power button it should kill the screen
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I wish there was a good official channel for us to list complaints and/or usability issues.

As for comparisons, my parents' have a Chrysler van with UConnect. I find MyLink to be much easier and faster to use than the UConnect. No matter what MyLink is doing, I can use voice commands to quickly change from FM to a specific XM station and vice versa. On UConnect, you have to change first to FM then after it switches to FM mode tell it what station you want. It is also much slower to respond.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #22
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
7.5/10 is what I would rate it. I personally like the "newer" version of MyLink in the Sonics, or the version that is coming with the 2014 Impala.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
The only problem I've had so far is that the voice lady inside it can't understand English. For instance, when I say "Store" for it to store a phone number, it either asks if I said "Onstar" or it tells me Pandora is not available. I need to get to the dealer for a voice lady upgrade.
The "voice lady" was just an innocent person in a booth reading all kinds of one liners, phrases, and words. It is fun to get out your frustrations yelling at her though, I'm sure. I don't have Mylink, just curious.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
syn-ack

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I like the system as a whole... But they really need to change the Artist sorting so it sorts by the "Album Artist" field and not the "Artist" field.
syn-ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Give it an 8/10. No problems using usb or anything but pretty limited in the tuning/eq portion and options in general compared to an aftermarket double din. Main thing I wish it played video.

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Coming Soon: Custom Cam, E85, Ported Heads
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
Lord Ryan

Drives: Chevy Prelude RS V4 Hot Pink Ed.
If navigation was standard. Without it, it's kind of a waist.

I can't believe I'm going to type this! Microsucks Sync is better. Organized! I like the 4 square layout. My wife's Edge comes with navi, not sure if that's true of all Sync models.

Lord Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #27
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
This is my second 2013 with Mylink. Overall, I like it but I am experiencing the same issue with both. Sometimes the radio info will not display on the HUD. But it isn't happening as often with my current 2013 as the previous. I'm guessing this is a glitch that all Mylinks have but apparently it doesn't bother enough owners for GM to strain themselves to come up with a fix.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #28
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Eh solid 8/10.

It's actually not bad at all. I have it with nav. I rarely use OnStar due to that because of the prompt that pops up but I'm fairly certain there's a way to turn that off, just have been lazy. Never had any issues with syncing my ipod or Android, can take a while to index but I have a mad amount of music so eh.

Think my only gripe is it's really just a cool points mod. Doesn't do anything my phone can't and MyLink isn't needed to sync an iPod up.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote