Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
The best way to preserve your Camaro's undercarriage during the winter is to move to Florida or park it. The salt will eat your car alive. i know this from driving my last three through the winter. I loved the fact that my two gen 4's were mostly plastic. I was hoping that the gen 5 would continue with this material. My 1 SS is sleeping until March. Instead of using oil on the under carriage though, you could get some spray cans of Chesterton Moisture Seal at a hardware store and spray it on. It is kind of like the cosmoline that they use to pack firearms. It sprays on and sets up like a wax.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

NO, NO, NO!!!
What you want to use is either POR-15 or you can even use Rhino-liner. It may add a little more weight to the car, but if it's going to be driven year round and in the salt/sand, this is a good remedy!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
I dont know about that. My truck did come from the factory with some kind of oily paint/undercoating stuff on it because the dirt and dust sticks to it. I dont know if that is what he is trying to get you to put on it?
Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I spray my car with concrete, wood, vinyl, asphalt, glass, and a little metal. It seems to keep the car in perfect condition whenever it's snowing outside. It even keeps it from sliding on ice and from other drivers that slide out of control. I call it "Garage".
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I spray my car with concrete, wood, vinyl, asphalt, glass, and a little metal. It seems to keep the car in perfect condition whenever it's snowing outside. It even keeps it from sliding on ice and from other drivers that slide out of control. I call it "Garage".
lol
That's exactly what I use as well.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Some people aren't as fortunate enough to afford a beater car, a garage, and a 2010 Camaro

I know I'm on the West Coast, but I drive my Baby in the rain too! My other car is a motorcycle!

Merry Christmas!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
There are few products out there that you spray under the car to neutralize salt, the snow plow companies use it a lot.
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Google up "salt away" it really works.

And if you need me to ship you some let me know.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #23
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Go for a wash at least weekly if you drive over salted roads, then undercoat late summer after multiple undercarriage washes
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #24
Amn_Bly

Drives: IBM 2LT A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Amn_Bly
As for those lucky enough to have a garage or the money for a second car, mainly insurance, i don't have either. SO i am unlucky and will have to drive it in the "horrible wintry stuff." however I don't mind driving it as i want to enjoy having my camaro year round and not sit in a garage for me to go to and cry that i can't drive , that is not for me. So when i get my camaro most of you will be hitting your head against the keyboard because mine will be a daily drive, year round in the dreaded northeast.
Amn_Bly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amn_Bly View Post
As for those lucky enough to have a garage or the money for a second car, mainly insurance, i don't have either. SO i am unlucky and will have to drive it in the "horrible wintry stuff." however I don't mind driving it as i want to enjoy having my camaro year round and not sit in a garage for me to go to and cry that i can't drive , that is not for me. So when i get my camaro most of you will be hitting your head against the keyboard because mine will be a daily drive, year round in the dreaded northeast.
Amen brother! This car is meant to be driven! Just have to do a little more winter maint to keep it in good shape.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #26
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
You will never be able to wash that off if you oil it followed by dirt.

Scrubbing will scratch it (from the dirt applied), and the oil will not be able to be removed. You still would have rust where the iol had worn off/was thin.

Better off getting a beater for a couple of hundred bucks and driving that most days in the winter.

I park my Camaro all winter and drive my pickup in the winter months..
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #27
Amn_Bly

Drives: IBM 2LT A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Amn_Bly
Alright one, i don't have a garage/ i am not paying for a storage cell to keep the camaro in a cage for the winter. With that being said my new friend would be sitting outside in the wintry weather anyway, so why bother not driving around in it? Second i could go out and get a beater but refer to number one.
Amn_Bly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #28
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote