Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #43
Camaro2SSLS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 6 speed IOM/IOM
Damn dude that sucks. GM should step up and replace it.
Camaro2SSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #44
spyrollinc

Drives: 2011 CGM SS/RS
Yep I knew the risks. Took the chance and got bit. Sucks that it did happen and wish they'd replace it under warranty, but oh well...Live and learn, then do it better next time.
spyrollinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #45
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Sorry, to hear that. Not surprised at all that GM would not cover warranty especially on blown engine. Their warranty sucks just as much as their service.
I'm surprised though that the engine would blow so quickly after a failed pump, didn't your guages show very low oil pressure or a warning light?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #46
spyrollinc

Nope it did not have any warning and i wasn't paying attention to the oil pressure gauge at the time. Think it was a sudden failure. I was cruising normally at about 75-80 mph in 6th gear and everything just shut off. Put the car into neutral and coasted to the side of the road.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #47
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Tunes automatically void the powertrain warranty. Its been discussed many times. The dealer does not have to prove that the tune caused the damage. Read Number 3's reponses in this thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...18#post3285018

Even the slightest of tunes can change pressure and temperature in the engine. This could be enough to cause damage to engine internals.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #48
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjoneshjones View Post
Do we sign any paperwork when we purchase the vehicle stating we agree to GM Warranty conditions? I just purchased my SS on friday and dont remember. I'm not planning on tuning my car and have no idea of the benefits of tuning but it does seem like a cop out if this is a known issue.
You would have a warranty booklet that would have been issued to you by the dealership during the purchase process that should have been filled out by the dealership for you or possibly filled out by yourself. Whether or not anything was signed specifically for the warranty of the vehicle I do not know. I hope that helps to answer your question.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #49
OuttacontrolAJ

Drives: 2011 CGM Vert
To bad it wasn't as easy for us to turn down GM when they needed a BAIL OUT ! Maybe next time.
OuttacontrolAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #50
mad@gm

Drives: was a 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttacontrolAJ View Post
To bad it wasn't as easy for us to turn down GM when they needed a BAIL OUT ! Maybe next time.
+1
mad@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #51
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Hey Spyrollinc,

About how many miles did you have on your motor when your oil pump went out? We're trying to get an idea on if this is happening to lower or higher mileaged cars or maybe there is no correlation.

Also, who is doing your new motor and what are you doing? LS3 short block, 416 or 427? Curious to see the direction you're going. You can send me PM if you don't want to post any of that info.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #52
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 View Post
The TSB about identifying aftermarket tunes has been out for over 3 years, which trumps the TSB about the oil pump issue. GM's had a very clear stance on aftermarket tunes and has stated that if there is a tune, the warranty on the engine is voided. If you want to play, you have to pay. People like you and I can make the argument a tune would not cause the oil pump to go out, but GM has a firm stance on this and has made it clear the warranty will be voided if a tune is in the PCM. We've had to deny coverage on more then 1 engine for aftermarket tunes and CVN's not matching the factory calibration.

GM is not trying in any way to state the tune caused the oil pump to fail, but they make it clear that a tune will void the engine warranty.

Any second there will be somebody in here stating the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and think it even remotely applies to a situation like this.

Here is a copy of the TSB. This is an updated version, but originally came out back in 2008

#09-06-04-026C: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines Using Tech 2 or Global Diagnostic System (GDS) - (Aug 13, 2010)

Subject:Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines Using Tech 2® or Global Diagnostic System (GDS)

Models:2006-2011 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Excluding Saab 9-7X)
2006-2009 HUMMER H2
2006-2010 HUMMER H3
Equipped with V8 Gas Powered Engines Only

Attention: This bulletin applies to V8 gas powered engines ONLY. For Duramax™ diesel powered engines, refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006G.

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-026A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used.
When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy that prevents any UNAUTHORIZED dealer warranty claim submissions to any remaining warranty coverage, to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.
I don't see any verbiage in this bulletin that states " GM's had a very clear stance on aftermarket tunes and has stated that if there is a tune, the warranty on the engine is voided" Where is that statement, or anything even close to this statement, in the bulletin?
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #53
rasputinkiller

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2010 Prius, 2002 Avalanch
My oil pump went out over the weekend. Only had 3992 miles on my ls3 Camaro SS. GM covered it an even gave me a rental. Picking up the Car tomorrow.
Galatians 2:20 He has fun too..

Mods: Borla Atak Exhaust, Volant AirIntake

rasputinkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #54
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputinkiller View Post
My oil pump went out over the weekend. Only had 3992 miles on my ls3 Camaro SS. GM covered it an even gave me a rental. Picking up the Car tomorrow.
Glad to see GM take care of you.

I'm going to assume you had no tune though.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #55
spyrollinc

Didn't want to start a new thread. So here's a pic of my oil pump if ppl were interested.

Stroker kit and melling oil pump going in soon.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #56
caglezxj

Drives: 2011 II SS
What year or vin #'s has this part. Should everyone get a new oil pump before this happens?
caglezxj is offline   Reply With Quote