Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #519
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Well, done for the day. Spent the first hour or so cleaning up the tune and making it reliable. We only saw about a 10-12 HP drop without Meth, so we are good there. We can go back and forth on the settings and be within 2-3 HP every time. Our IATs where pretty high and we weren't letting it cool down between pulls, so no doubt we could hit 600 RWHP if we wanted to. Just wasn't the goal today. The track will prove we are making the power.

As for the street/track setup...that worked like a charm. I can run 50% duty cycle with no fuel enrichment and it runs a bit rich. 55% is nice and 60% is pretty agressive. These give me right around 500 RWHP. Change the duty cycle to 80-90% and turn the fuel enrichment controller to 4 and it is uppper 580s RWHP. No swapping tunes.

We are still having the issue with the throttle opening up. Ryan made a few adjustments and it looks better to me, but still not what we want. The 4000 stall converter will most likely solve the problem, but it would be nice to be able to do it in the tune. I really don't think many people will want to run that loose a converter. Oh well, we'll get the new single disk next week and know for sure.

Boost is looking good, with only a small spike at 50% duty cycle (was ~6psi before) and about 2psi at 90%. Had a bit of issue that seems to be created by the longer runners with the fuel plate. During cold start up we would start making quite a bit of boost. They took that out (I quess a lot like Vince does with the Ghost Cam???). Then we had some issues with fuel trims being off after you pull out of it with fuel enrichment. That's pretty much taken care of; certainly good enough for the track. Other than that, it seemed to go really well. Kudo's to Aaron for doing all the math and engineering on this. He hit it nail right on the head on everything (even if he says it was luck).

Now for the reality part of this. We don't make any more boost at 90% duty cycle than 80%. There are a lot of things that can cause this. What what I gather these particular turbos are good to about 21-23 psi and start to become ineffecient. Figure 2 psi loss from the intercooler and we get 19-21 psi max. Well, we top out right about 20 psi, so it is probably the limit for these guys. Another indication of that is that they are rated at about 450 HP each, but 750 or so together. My intercooler is rated at 750 HP, too. Finally, we think we have gone as far as we can with the stock heads. Basically, we are the limits of a lot of things and there won't be any easy mods we can do to make much more power. Now we have to focus on what will make it as fast as possible with the power we have. Maybe the LF3 heads will bolt right on and flow better than what we have. I for one can wait to find out. ~600 RWHP will keep me happy for a while.

Final thing, our IATs were really good at around 500 RWHP, but they are creaping up fast now. I know the back-to-back pulls didn't help, but we hit 150* at least once so that's not helping much. We can spray a little water with the meth to help that, but without a better intercooler and getting turbos back into a better part of their compressor map that's going to be an issue for anyone that goes this route. If you haven't started your 600 RWHP build but plan to, get a 1000 HP intercooler!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #520
GretchenGotGrowl

Posted the dyno sheet over on the LFX Dyno thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233394
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #521
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
DesertCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #522
Abstrak

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro LS / Team LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCamaro View Post
speechless can't wait to see it on the track

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #523
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Hey Derrick you should try and make it our for the Georgia 1/2 Mile Private Runway Shootout. Here is the link http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...94#post6389894

Also a video of last years.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #524
lesson1
I Get Around

Drives: 2011 1LT
lesson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #525
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Posted the dyno sheet over on the LFX Dyno thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233394
Hey bud.

I'm a bit confused with that dyno sheet and how it starts at 4,000 rpm.

It seems to suggest that your not making much power (relatively speaking...it is still a lot of power) until 4,500 rpm, when in reality I would have thought that your torque would have been spread over a broader rpm range.

Does this dyno reading just make it seem that way, or is that how your car is set up? I'm guessing due to the tuning, and the nature of the turbos that instead of making peak TQ at low RPMs...like an EcoBoost engine...yours instead tops out at higher rpms?

Don't take this the wrong way..I'm not taking anything away from your success...it is incredible. I'm just curious is all!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #526
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Hey bud.

I'm a bit confused with that dyno sheet and how it starts at 4,000 rpm.

It seems to suggest that your not making much power (relatively speaking...it is still a lot of power) until 4,500 rpm, when in reality I would have thought that your torque would have been spread over a broader rpm range.

Does this dyno reading just make it seem that way, or is that how your car is set up? I'm guessing due to the tuning, and the nature of the turbos that instead of making peak TQ at low RPMs...like an EcoBoost engine...yours instead tops out at higher rpms?

Don't take this the wrong way..I'm not taking anything away from your success...it is incredible. I'm just curious is all!
Just trying to protect the TC and transmission. He's bring it up to about 4300-4500 RPMs at part throttle, starting the run, then hitting it. So, it makes more power down low than what you are seeing. In fact, until we can get a multi-disk TC and can lock it, we will probably never know how much torque we are making because it probably peaks below 4000 RPMs.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #527
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Yep. Converter too loose for lower pull
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #528
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Hey Derrick you should try and make it our for the Georgia 1/2 Mile Private Runway Shootout. Here is the link http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...94#post6389894

Also a video of last years.

Man, I just don't have what it takes for that anymore. My sphencter leaves impressions in the seat above 140 MPH. Don't think I can do 165+ unless my life depended on it.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #529
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Man, I just don't have what it takes for that anymore. My sphencter leaves impressions in the seat above 140 MPH. Don't think I can do 165+ unless my life depended on it.
I hear you man, I have yet been able to get over 137mph without letting off. I have a military injury where extreme pressure messes with my spinal nerves at higher speeds than that. I will try and go as fast as I can but if I can't max out by the finish line. I plan on letting someone from my club try it to see what the car can do. I don't expect to win anything just running for fun. Also if I get the car where I want it.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #530
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
I hear you man, I have yet been able to get over 137mph without letting off. I have a military injury where extreme pressure messes with my spinal nerves at higher speeds than that. I will try and go as fast as I can but if I can't max out by the finish line. I plan on letting someone from my club try it to see what the car can do. I don't expect to win anything just running for fun. Also if I get the car where I want it.
Sorry to hear that; I'm just get more chicken$hit the older I get.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #531
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
I'm still young and dumb
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #532
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
I get like that also at times lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I'm still young and dumb
I second this!!

Tags
best v6, holy crap!, twin turbo lfx, v6 fuel system