Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Dusting ?

Ok, would love to have a good product to dust the car (black) in between washings. I have heard good things and bad things about the California Car Dusters. California Car Cover magazine arrived in the mail the other day and saw a micro fiber duster in there, looks identical to original car Duster. My question is, has anyone purchased one and how does it work? Thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
We have a Microfiber Car Duster as well, and it is a very popular item at car shows. Both these microfiber car dusters and the cali car duster are pretty similar though. I use one on my M3, and never had a problem. The trick is to just use real light pressure. Remember, you're only using it to remove the light surface dust, so there shouldnt be any need to apply pressure. Hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
ftshark

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS CGM
I got the California duster. I mainly use it on the inside and it works great. I have used on the exterior a few times and it didn't do any harm. The secret is the wax that they put in the duster, it helps pick up stuff that normal dusters won’t. The package claims "the dirtier it gets the better is works and don't wash it unless it is absolutely necessary".
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
I use the California Duster and have had no problems with it. I agree with the above about not putting pressure on it. Just using it to lightly remove dust.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
SSRS2010
SS/RSVIN04274

Drives: 2010 CAMARO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword5 View Post
Ok, would love to have a good product to dust the car (black) in between washings. I have heard good things and bad things about the California Car Dusters. California Car Cover magazine arrived in the mail the other day and saw a micro fiber duster in there, looks identical to original car Duster. My question is, has anyone purchased one and how does it work? Thanks
I use the California Duster I have a 2ss/rs black on black
And I use the MEGUIARS SWIRL XTHATS WORKING VERY GOOD
Attached Images

Last edited by SSRS2010; 10-25-2009 at 10:44 PM.
SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
I used a CA duster for the first week I had my black SS and it scratched it. I threw it out and have been using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer spray with microfibers to take the dust off. Much happier now.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
I used a CA duster for the first week I had my black SS and it scratched it. I threw it out and have been using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer spray with microfibers to take the dust off. Much happier now.

Was it the duster that actually scratched it, or was it something that it picked up off the paint and drug it around?? I'm guessing it was light scratch?
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
It's certainly something that was stuck to the duster, but there's no way to tell by examining it. That's the problem with the CA duster... the nature of it is that you are bound to pick up a super abrasive particle every now and then, and drag it around the surface of your paint. not good.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #9
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
I too used the California duster and it scratched. Granted, I might have used too much pressure, but something it picked up scratched the clear coat all down the drivers side of the car. It took me a couple of hours of polishing with Porter Cable to get the scratches out.
If you decide to use one, do it carefully. No more duster for me. Zaino detail spray and clean 100% cotton towels.
Just my opinion.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
+1 to the detail spray.

I have a black 2SS/RS

My process for removing LIGHT dust:

1) Dampen 1 microfiber towel with Zaino Z6

2) Mist cool paint with Z6

3) LIGHTLY drag dampened towel across paint (removes most dust with no pressure)

4) LIGHTLY wipe with dry microfiber towel

5) Turn dry towel over and wipe dry.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Sounds like a good plan to me FirstLSK, our cars are indentical it seems. I have the black with silver stripes. Great looking care there.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yup, I basically do the same thing. I sometimes gently wipe a CA Duster across her first, then do the soft borderless Zaino towels with Z6. Even if the car is warm, that still works before i cover her (She lives outside :() If the car is cool, I use Z8 (since I had already bought it); Z8 does NOT work well if the car is anything but cool!

I also have a Black beauty - The Beast!
Attached Images

2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
The Dusters can be used, but caution is advised to be sure. My black cars are garage kept so the dust they get on them is very fine and lite. These dusters work perfect for that sort of dust.

Any dust particles that you can SEE need to be removed with something other than these dusters. That is when I go with the detail sprays and the thickest nap microfiber that I can. Some of these microfiber cloths are so thin and they do not lift the dirt and trap it as they should. Seen some of the Mr Clean Microfibers cloths and they are very fine. Great for inside the house or in the interior of the car, but NOT for the outside.

I get most of my microfibers in a bulk pack at the warehouse clubs. They are good quality and a good price and wash up nice.

NOTE: Use NO Fabric softener when you wash microfiber. Hot or warm water and a detergent along with OXYCLEAN will get them clean.
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote