Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #29
ssrsheaven

Drives: 92 firebird,2010 camaro
ssrsheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #30
Rusky

Drives: 1998 GMC C1500 Ext. Cab 4.3L
This question might be a little off topic but what actually makes the long tube headers illegal aside from not having a carb number?
Rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #31
SubSolar

Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
This question might be a little off topic but what actually makes the long tube headers illegal aside from not having a carb number?
The longtubes move the cats back further. This effects emissions because the further the cats are from the engine, the longer they take to heat up on cold starts. They need to get to a certain operating temperature for peak efficiency of cleaning or something.
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #32
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
The longtubes move the cats back further. This effects emissions because the further the cats are from the engine, the longer they take to heat up on cold starts. They need to get to a certain operating temperature for peak efficiency of cleaning or something.
Its only on initial start that it wouldn't pass emissions. The cats still work fine and would pass the sniffer no prob. Its the visual that usually fails it.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Less than $600 with CARB numbers and good (great) gains?... I wish the collectors provided a smoother transition into the head pipe, but if I can get about 15 RWHP with shorties, I won't complain at all. I'm sure that number will get better with FI too

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #34
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Less than $600 with CARB numbers and good (great) gains?... I wish the collectors provided a smoother transition into the head pipe, but if I can get about 15 RWHP with shorties, I won't complain at all. I'm sure that number will get better with FI too
these shortys really look promising especially for us cali guys, Im interested to tsee these # matched with the GMPP shortys when they come out.

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #35
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
these shortys really look promising especially for us cali guys, Im interested to tsee these # matched with the GMPP shortys when they come out.
I wonder why they didn't just carry the collectors further down to the flange and used the head pipes instead. It would seem to me that that would enable longer primaries and better scavanging for more power. It could be there wasn't enough space to do this though. Still - I'm not going to complain because these numbers show these babies are doing their job!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #36
SubSolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
Its only on initial start that it wouldn't pass emissions. The cats still work fine and would pass the sniffer no prob. Its the visual that usually fails it.
Yeah I know, that's why I need a CARB sticker before I buy in case some damn smog technician asks during a visual.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #37
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I would have to assume by the previous posts by fellow cali people that I would have to go with the shortys due to cali's strict emissions standards. I've been curious but wasn't sure since I've never done any aftermarket mods to my current car.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #38
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
Yeah I know, that's why I need a CARB sticker before I buy in case some damn smog technician asks during a visual.
I'd try to insist on a metal tag affixed to the part in this case. I've been to more than one smog tech', let alone actual Bureau of Automotive Repair Referees, and most have insisted on metal tags ON the parts, even headers. I have a CARB decal for my dad's headers and that was almost not even good enough; I stuck it to the firewall in plain site. My point - get the tag and not sticker, if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_Killer View Post
I would have to assume by the previous posts by fellow cali people that I would have to go with the shortys due to cali's strict emissions standards. I've been curious but wasn't sure since I've never done any aftermarket mods to my current car.
If you want to remain "smog legal" in this crappy state, then yes. Shorties don't automatically give you a free ride though. Ebay has many shorties on it for cars, however, unless they actually carry CARB numbers, they are not legal. You can go to the BAR website and actually look up the EO numbers and see exactly what years and vehicles are covered under the EO numbers. My dad's been jacked due to false advertising because the vendor incorrectly listed his headers as being applicable to his truck, and it is actually mechanically the same as the year before, however, the CARB number does not cover his year, so technically, it's illegal. I've been fortunate enough to find friendly techs' though because of the sticker. They could verify the number to the truck if they wanted, but I've been lucky so far.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #39
SubSolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_Killer View Post
Read up here:

http://www.racingbeat.com/emissions.htm

We Californians are in an awkward spot. If we want to stay legal, we basically have to either stick with light mods (intake, catback exhaust) or go nuts with a supercharger/turbocharger. If I lived in Texas, I'd be perfectly happy with medium mods, like longtube headers and full exhaust, maybe a bigger cam. That would give you well over 500 HP which is good enough for me. But nooooo...
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #40
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
Your talking 17 hp and 35 lb torque from shorties through stock exhaust and cats.

The Stock manifolds can't be that bad.
MY calculator came up with 18.42hp. But seriously I would hope for DT sake that these numbers are right. You can get some really bad backlash from over stating your product nowadays. Especially how fast bad news travels on the net. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
Its going to get real exciting as more companies come out with shorty's
Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #41
slowerthanu

Drives: 2ss on order, 06 f-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
MY calculator came up with 18.42hp. But seriously I would hope for DT sake that these numbers are right. You can get some really bad backlash from over stating your product nowadays. Especially how fast bad news travels on the net. Time will tell.

Its going to get real exciting as more companies come out with shorty's
They have been in the business for a long time and with the amount of "tuners" on this website, it would be suicidal to overstate your gains. Based on other tests of longtubes and exhausts, they don't seem to be overstating those claims.

The LS3 is a monster, I would bet that cost and time kept GM from going all out on the intake and exhaust. Hell, with an easy 426hp, did they really need to maximize their efforts their?

Its only going to get better with time. the public is treating the new Camaro like it invented time travel or something.
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #42
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
WOW… If these are legit numbers this if very impressive for shorties. These headers will be a big time hit in smog states… Now all we need is some more runs from other tuners to back the data up.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote