Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Fuel Fire Desire

Drives: 2011 M6 LS
Performance tires for LS 18"

Its about the time to look at new tires for my LS with the factory 18" wheels. My biggest complaint with the car over all has been grip. Mainly through corners, but also while accelerating hard. I would really like some better rubber to replace the OE with.

Any suggestions on size? Do I stay with the 245/55/R18's, or do I go to something a bit wider like a 255/45/R18 on the same rim? (this is what I did on my 99 camaro, one width size up). Also, what would be the best option for overall performance?

Getting new rims is just out of the budget right now. Otherwise Id go that route to get a better size.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
falken azeni rt615k
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Fuel Fire Desire

Are you running those right now? Id be worried that width would be too much for the heritage wheel. If you are running those on the steelies, I would GREATLY appreciate pics.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
I'm planning on dropping down to a 50 or 45 series and staying with the steelies. It will not make that big of a difference on the speedo.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Fuel Fire Desire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
I'm planning on dropping down to a 50 or 45 series and staying with the steelies. It will not make that big of a difference on the speedo.
Im not too concerned with the speedo, that can always be changed. I just dont want a tire thats obviously oversized and has a ridiculous looking overhang to it. Id prefer a perfectly flat/ vertical sidewall instead of a "bulge" or "convex" look......I just have no idea how to achieve that with the height of the sidewall on there.

In the end though, Im not really after looks, just maximum traction for a daily driver that sees rain and occasional snow (not a huge issue with snow).
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
Are you running those right now? Id be worried that width would be too much for the heritage wheel. If you are running those on the steelies, I would GREATLY appreciate pics.
no was running on forgestars for track days. phenominal tire... they have different sizes tho