Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #533
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
HEY! I CALLED!

I've been looking at this schedule of mine. It's the drive out there and back plus the time to work on the car that is holding me back. The only day I can do it on is either a Sunday or a Monday. I wouldn't doubt that Heath won't be there on Sundays. So, I figure Monday is the only day I'm going to get a chance. The 17th is the only day I'll have open. I wonder if he'll have a spot to fit me in...check out the back end.

...and don't even get me started on the Bears....

I think we missed the 17th Btw, my Denali was burgled at the Rim two weeks ago. What you only keep an eye on Camaros? I am jammed with SEMA stuff the next two weeks. Let's get a date in September.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #534
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
The NFC North is a bitch this year. Go PACK!

Pete, I would love to drop the stance on my 2012 Vert but I don't want to take a chance on adding any noise to the front end. The stock front end is quiet as a dead Mother in Law at the moment. Hate to muck up a good thing.

-Funk
If you want to drop it we can do it quietly
Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #535
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Glad (sort of) to find this topic as I was coming here to post the exact same gripe. Mine's a 2012 and you'll be assured somewhat in knowing that in two years they haven't fixed this

It's quite obvious going slow over washboard pavement and yes it's a little annoying. If it's "the nature of the beast" like your dealer said, then why has mine gotten louder since new? In fact, while brand new it didn't make a sound at all (ahhhhhh...) then around 500 miles it started. Hasn't gotten much worse, but noises don't just start "by design".

It's a soft clunk (like hitting the lower control arm with a rubber mallet I imagine) a reminds me of the sounds I"ve had in previous cars:

Volvo S70 Turbo and Mazda MX-3 V6 - cause: worn sway bar end links.

1985 Toyota MR2 I had, it was the springs slapping against themselves (the lowest turn of the coil was hitting the one above it). Cured by wrapping the lower turns with cheap garden hose, until that wore out of course.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #536
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Glad (sort of) to find this topic as I was coming here to post the exact same gripe. Mine's a 2012 and you'll be assured somewhat in knowing that in two years they haven't fixed this

It's quite obvious going slow over washboard pavement and yes it's a little annoying. If it's "the nature of the beast" like your dealer said, then why has mine gotten louder since new? In fact, while brand new it didn't make a sound at all (ahhhhhh...) then around 500 miles it started. Hasn't gotten much worse, but noises don't just start "by design".

It's a soft clunk (like hitting the lower control arm with a rubber mallet I imagine) a reminds me of the sounds I"ve had in previous cars:

1985 Toyota MR2 I had, it was the springs slapping against themselves (the lowest turn of the coil was hitting the one above it). Cured by wrapping the lower turns with cheap garden hose, until that wore out of course.
Exactly. That is why we go through the checklist.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #537
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post

Where in the northeast are you?

PM me if you want.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #538
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I have developed something like this recently. Seems going over speedbumps (not all of the time) or coming into my driveway (incline) produces it. I can't quite figure if it is from the front or rear .. I've looked and felt under there and it looks like things are tight, but I'm no mechanic and could be looking at all of the wrong things ...

I did get the aftermarket endlinks from PFadt but they are not installed yet. With the windows up it sound like a pop and with the windows down it sounds more metallic.

EDIT: Seems like I can produce it as well if I am backing up and then start forward .. it pops when I start forward .. to me it sounds like it is in the rear. Going over small bumps at about 10 mph seems to produce it as well.

Crowley

Last edited by Crowley; 11-22-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #539
Crowley
Okie doke

Update .. I took it to the dealer and they checked everything over and they think it is coming from the back as well and they think it might be an endlink .. however they stated they are not sure why it would be making that noise as all looks tight and it looks ok ... I have aftermarket endlinks that will be going on so hopefully that resolves it. If not I guess I will be taking it to another shop to try to diagnose (if ADM doesn't see anything blatantly causing the noise during the pfadt endlink install.

Crowley
Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #540
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Update .. I took it to the dealer and they checked everything over and they think it is coming from the back as well and they think it might be an endlink .. however they stated they are not sure why it would be making that noise as all looks tight and it looks ok ... I have aftermarket endlinks that will be going on so hopefully that resolves it. If not I guess I will be taking it to another shop to try to diagnose (if ADM doesn't see anything blatantly causing the noise during the pfadt endlink install.

Crowley
Adding new endlinks is adding a new set of variables. Try to isolate the noise before adding any new parts. To eliminate an endlink as the source, disconnect one front endlink and secure it for a test drive. This disables the bar. It will work for both front and rear. If the noise goes away, install your new endlinks.

For diagnosing chassis noise a set of chassis ears makes life much easier.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #541
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
I am getting really close finally of actually purchasing one of these cars that I have been following since it was a concept, I would hate for an issue such as this to deter me from getting one.
I live out on 3/4 of a mile of dirt road that I drive on every day in my 04 Monte Carlo and it has never had any bumping/rattling issues at all in the 6 years I have been driving on this road, and nothing in the suspension has ever been worked on whatsoever. I even have no issues with my two wheel drive Avalanche. I still really want to get a Camaro because I know that no matter what car you buy will have its certain issues, it just comes down to what issues you are willing to live with, the main problem I will have living out on this dirt road will be trying to choose a color that looks good with red Georgia dust/dirt on it lol.
Hmmmmmmm it's either get an awesome car like the Camaro with a few noise issues that I know I can most likely fix myself, or drive Mustang and try to live with a POS issue of the dang thing not being reliable at all, dies at random moments, and is outright ugly to look at. Or I can pay a ridiculous sum of money for a Challey and live with whatever issues it has AND try to deal with their customer service which really sux.
Its all about choosing your battles, or picking your poison. I will most likely still get a Camaro and the minute I start hearing any noises I will first attempt to get GM to fix it although I wont be surpirsed when they tell me it is normal (which I will get in writing) and then I will fix it myself or even take it to a mechanic to fix it and then attempt to submit the bill for payment from Chevy, they don't pay? well time to contact the news media and tell my story, especially if the problem is actually remedied by a third party after I am told by Chevy that it is normal for the car to make these such noises.
All in all these are great cars and issues like this can be fixed, I have NEVER owned an "issueless " car in my life, they all have problems in one shape or form, I have learned with Chevy that they usually come out with a fix and usually make it worth your while. All car manufacturers will beat around the bush and try to cover up their shortcomings, for example I once owned an older model Toyota Celica/Supra that was supposed to be the most reliable car of its time in its class, everyone I knew that had one swore by them and all told me it was the most reliable car they owned, however.... when I got one it turned out to be one of the biggest pieces of crap I ever drove and ended up dumping it on some poor unsuspecting sap.
I have owned a car that was supposed to be one of the worst to own but it turned out to be one hell of a good running car that I really enjoyed until I wrecked it.
I'm going to keep following this thread and print out remedies on what to fix because i am planning on taking my Monte in really soon here and trading it in on a nice 1LT I have my eye on. I hear any noises then I will become a serious thorn in Chevys' side ....mark my words.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #542
smkeeling
MNSTRBEE

Drives: 2010 Transformers 2SS/RS
I have a 98 Z28 that pops in the front and rear. It has over 200k on it. I have been looking at getting a new or used SS, but this thread has be second guessing Chevrolet. I have owned only one ford and the engine blow at 130k no more fords. I looked on Edmonds and I only saw one review about popping and it led me here. Has anybody looked to see if there is a common link between these cars other than Chevrolet possibly the factory they were built, day of the week?

I did change my end links (front sway bar) and the popping went away. I still have popping / thunk sound in the rear.

Maybe its time for some German engineering or a C6 Z06.
smkeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #543
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
It's not on all cars.

I had the thumping in mine. It went away....don't ask me how.

But, I have ZERO noise coming from the front end.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #544
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
it must have been the flubber
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #545
1543R2

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Blk/Blk
Front end noise/ Eibach

I have a 2011 2LT and now have this noise after installing Eibach springs. I have not yet installed the Eibach sway bars, so I know its not the bars. Next weekend I will be removing and re-installing the struts to make sure there wasn't any install errors...r
1543R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #546
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Crowley
Just an update on mine .. I had the pfadt endlinks installed yesterday and it looks like that may have been the issue. I no longer have the popping noise when I had it before ...

Crowley