Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Drives: 2011 White 2SS/RS
Still shook about my accident :(

well as you guys know i got into a sideswipe as shown here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=165004&page=2 , it hasn't been easy getting over it because it happened so soon. I can't even sleep at night at times because I'm worried it might happen again or it might even be worse, and living in Los Angeles docent make it any easier the way stupid people drive now a days. I guess its getting to me so hard because it was just a day old when it happened, but every one around me keeps telling me that it happens to the best of us and to just and its nothing to really worry about, but its to the point that i catch my self over thinking what happened and being hesitant to getting on the freeway or just driving in general. And ill admit i am young and getting out here driving non stop is something new to me because i was so used to just driving for a few hours and coming home since i didn't own a car to my name, but now every things different. i find my self driving it more timid also after the accident occurred. Im not driving it how it should be driven just because of this simple accident. So from all you guys on this forum that take the time to read it, id appreciate the positive comments you leave about getting over your 1st accidents and what not, because i would have never expected it to be like this. AND also 2 big questions i have....

I know this may seem noobish but lol like i said i find my self over thinking about everything now since this happened, but, since the majority of you guys on here drive camaros, on the freeway, 1. what is a good enough gap to make this tank (the camaro) fit into the proper space? and 2. since i can't depend on turning my head to look over my shoulder due to my height, (6'3) when would be a good time to get over? when i see the car clearly in the rear view mirror or see it clear in the little blind spot mirrors i have installed? Thanx to any and every one in advance that helps me get over this because...it isn't easy when you constantly think your going to get into another accident again :(, i used to change lanes so smoothly in my mothers old car since it was a pt cruiser, but now every time i change lanes i find my self hoping and praying i don't get creamed again lol. But once again thnx for the help!
RetroXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
Just gotta get back on the horse and ride 'er. You're confidence will come back in time. Shoulder checking is a must on the freeway, shouldn't matter how tall you are. A quick glance is all it takes. You shouldn't be guessing when lane changing. An accident will rattle anyone's confidence, don't worry too much about it. I'm a professional driver and have been driving for 25 yrs, I still get rattled once in a while, it just comes with the territory.
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Some aren't even affected by their first accident. But since you are, it is going to take time to get past it. Time and experience are all that can get you past this.

How do you have your mirrors set? Most people do not adjust their side mirrow correctly. You should not see any of your own car in your side mirrors or at the most maybe a very slight sliver of it on the very inside edge of the mirror. The rear view mirror should be adjusted so it is centered in your lane behind you. If you have those set right, lane changes are easier. Adding the little blind spot mirrors only helps. It's a tough car to drive, but mirrors right and it isn't nearly as bad. Also when you back out of a angled spot...good luck, that is the worst ever in these cars.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by born-to-fish- View Post
Just gotta get back on the horse and ride 'er. You're confidence will come back in time. Shoulder checking is a must on the freeway, shouldn't matter how tall you are. A quick glance is all it takes. You shouldn't be guessing when lane changing. An accident will rattle anyone's confidence, don't worry too much about it. I'm a professional driver and have been driving for 25 yrs, I still get rattled once in a while, it just comes with the territory.
I try to shoulder glance, but i can't see anything out my back window but the head rest of the passenger seat, everything else is literally blocked. Ive had friends and family all get in and try to look over their shoulder and they all say the same thing: Theres nothing to see! which does make a ton of sense because there really isn't anything to see.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
Some aren't even affected by their first accident. But since you are, it is going to take time to get past it. Time and experience are all that can get you past this.

How do you have your mirrors set? Most people do not adjust their side mirrow correctly. You should not see any of your own car in your side mirrors or at the most maybe a very slight sliver of it on the very inside edge of the mirror. The rear view mirror should be adjusted so it is centered in your lane behind you. If you have those set right, lane changes are easier. Adding the little blind spot mirrors only helps. It's a tough car to drive, but mirrors right and it isn't nearly as bad. Also when you back out of a angled spot...good luck, that is the worst ever in these cars.
my mirrors are set in the proper way but i think id be at ease if i can find out the proper answer to my 2 questions i asked, because you guys on here are the only people i can turn to for advice and help when needed because you guys have driven your camaros much longer than i have
Old 08-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
The answer to your two questions are; 1. if they are in the mirror and your mirrors are set right, then you can see them and should be able to make a decison on how much room you have. Object in mirror are closer than they appear (as written on the mirror) so keep that in mind. 2. I have never used those little blind spot mirrors, so no help from me on that one.

From looking at the damage on your cars though, that car you side swiped was right next to you. That isn't a mirror issue, you should have seen him right out the passenger window. The damage was on the front of the car.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
Maybe get one of those convex stick on mirrors for the right side mirror only
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
armoredslayer

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS
Ive been in a couple bad accidents in my time and both not my fault. My first one was when I was 18, a older guy fell asleep at the wheel, crossed over and hit me head on, not sure how I survived that one. After that accident I was like you, took a while to get over 2. Back then I had a 69 camaro SS but on that day I wasnt driving that, was driving the parents wagon, something told me take the family mobile insted. My other accident happened recently, past few years, I was on the job and was rear ended by a very big dump truck that was speeding, tbh, not sure how I survived that one either other than doctors saying my size and being in great shape helped alot. Ever since that accident im beyond carefull like before but more so than ever before, I used to drive for a living and have been to many driving schools and have to say those schools have helped me beyond anything in my years of driving for a living at high speeds at times to keep me accident free. It takes a long while to get over these types of accidents but you will, I find my concerns higher when im a passenger and dont drive much other than taking the SS out for rides. Today almost had another bad one, go figure, im driving along under 55 coming to a bad intersection where many fatals have happened, and out of nowhere this clown pulls out in front of me, in the center lane was a construction vehicle painting lines in the road, my lane the goof that just pulled out, very fast split decission I pulled hard right and up along side this guy nearly rear ending him but saved it, if I went left I would have hit the stationary truck and workers, straight rear ended the clown, right saved it.. happened very fast and the clown sped off scared. IMO the workers should have had flag guys out they were at the bottom of a hill and in a very bad spot, good thing I wasnt moving like the SS should be. Good luck in your recovery, just take it slow and youll be fine.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
The answer to your two questions are; 1. if they are in the mirror and your mirrors are set right, then you can see them and should be able to make a decison on how much room you have. Object in mirror are closer than they appear (as written on the mirror) so keep that in mind. 2. I have never used those little blind spot mirrors, so no help from me on that one.

From looking at the damage on your cars though, that car you side swiped was right next to you. That isn't a mirror issue, you should have seen him right out the passenger window. The damage was on the front of the car.
heres the thing, when i checked over my shoulder, there was nothing there, so i went merge on over and she was speeding up to not let me by and i wasn't paying attention to that, thats how she met me in the front, and my mirrors ae set right as of now because of the little blind spot mirror i have on there, i just wanted to know, as a camaro driver, to your personal preference, what would be a good enough gap to clear it since its kinda wide and long? and would it be safer to make the move when i see the car fully in the rear or side view mirror? (any one can answer btw)
Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
RJsCamaro

Drives: 2011 1SS,RS Camaro M6
I drive mine like I stole it and people get out of my way. I'm always aware of the cars I pass and that I approach so I know when and where to pass/change lanes without even having to check mirrors to much. I have been in two accidents where the vehicle I was driving was totaled, and was timid to get back out and drive at first, but it wore off quick. You have insurance for a reason, and if you are a little aggressive, people tend to get out of your way. I've always had jacked up trucks in the past, so I never got in accidents with those, but just make yourself seen or heard haha.
RJsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
RJsCamaro

Drives: 2011 1SS,RS Camaro M6
Those accidents were not my fault by the way. One was an illegal mexican running a light and the other was a young man turning in front of me who did not see me.
RJsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Mine got hit a month after I got it and I felt the same way you do right now ..over thinking every move I made and watching every car on the road. Trust me that goes away, at least it has for me just give it time. On the mirrors just use the advise they have given it works great
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
SandPredator
Proud Passenger

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
When I drive I am always looking in my mirror's, whether I want to get over or not, I look side to side, rearview, 2 cars ahead. That way when you get ready to change lanes you already know what's around you or coming up on you. Don't beat yourself up over it, an accident is called an accident for a reason. I was really mad at myself because a car pulled up to a red light and stopped, started to turn right, there wasn't any other cars coming but he decided to pull up some more and stop again. I saw him pulling out the first time so I looked left again and still didn't see traffic so I started to turn right. At the last second I back to the right and see him still there, it was too late, I rear ended him. The cop could tell I was mad at myself and said you know it's called an accident for a reason. He made me feel better and I did calm down, so again, don't feel bad!

It's happens to the best of us, it doesn't matter how long you have driven.
SandPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
Having a keen sense of situational awareness is the only way you're gonna be able to drive this car comfortably and successfully. Know where everybody is at all times.
Raptor626 is offline   Reply With Quote