Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #561
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
Oh and I placed the plastic clear bumber's on the back of the passenger side trim to even out the gap.Once I get the new led on the right side I will probably have to add more or remove some depending on how intense the light is with both LED's lit.Oh well fun project anyway.
Where are you guys placing these bumpers? Is there any way you can post a pic of what you're doing please?
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #562
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
I see multiple posts here of people tweaking the ABL, my question is how are you guys getting the trim pieces off and on? I left my trim pieces off because I just dont want to go through the trouble of having to take it back out when the light pipe gets here. Getting those out was HELL!
Mine come out very easy with the trim removal tool.

I like to use the second one from the right in the photo alot. Once you have the trim removal tool it makes getting that trim off the least of your worries.

Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #563
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I just pull off the right side of the dash cover. ON the right. I pull that off and push the first tab out while pulling on it. That first tab pops right out and then you slide your fingers behind the dash trim popping out the rest one at a time.

Also, taking out the gauges trim is easy...just pop it out. It's when you put it back IN that you must be VERY careful. I snapped one part of the trim ON THE DASH and there is nothing I can do but get a new dash...and that sure as shit ain't happen'in.

I have tomorrow off...going to get clear spacers.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #564
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Walla finished !

I thought I would do a update on my ABL install.Received the replacement LED yesterday but thought I would wait until today to install.Things were not going well yesterday so my better judgment told me to wait until today.So I purchased a package of (12) 3/8 " rubber bumpers from ACE hardware for $3.99.Placed (8) of them across the back side of passenger side dash trim. One at each plastic clip between the sidewall of clip near the top but covered by the stick um tape.Placed the others in the middle section equally spaced across the trim and (1) on the far left hand side of the passenger trim next to the speedometer opening as it sucks in there.You have to play with it to get it to set just right.Trim off and trim on about 6 times.It gets easier every time you remove it.I did put a little Vaseline *(little) * on the tip of the retainer clip and it goes in and out easier and still seats in.Pics attached but do it no justice.Reflections and shadows are only in the pictures.In reality it is even and matches the door panels as good as I believe possible.The pics do show small dot shadows but only show up in pictures not when you view them in person.Could not be happier with the result. Highly recommend this project.Now just waiting for May to get her out of hibernation and hit the road.
:happy anim:: happyanim:
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #565
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
Everyone says this is easy, yet there are a lot of people running into problems during the install... Why doesn't someone have a install video yet? That would be cool.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #566
buzzy56
buzzy56

not easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suskam View Post
Everyone says this is easy, yet there are a lot of people running into problems during the install... Why doesn't someone have a install video yet? That would be cool.
Not easy just takes a great deal of patience and time to get it right.Must fit & take apart light tube, re tape LED's to tube's and put trim on take trim off etc. Just time.Not complicated with Culley's pics and step by step.Worth it when complete in my opinion. A lot of trial and error to be video taping and editing every time you fit and refit and put everything back together.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #567
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suskam View Post
If someone down here could get a camera and a car with all the parts, I could do a quick video. The hard part, as said before, is aligning the light to emit perfectly above the insert.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #568
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
anyone think ill run into problems if I broke out the clips for the abl, well those metal retainers? lol im soo annoyed of them. Ill probably do the vasoline trick
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #569
buzzy56
buzzy56

no worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
anyone think ill run into problems if I broke out the clips for the abl, well those metal retainers? lol I'm SO annoyed of them. Ill probably do the Vaseline trick
Don't worry I had mine in and out probably 8 times until I got it right.The Vaseline really helpled the initial tight grip in and out but still lets the clip keep its retention properties.Just let it slip in initially a lot easier.Just a very little though or your clip and pipe will get messy.Good luck and get going.You will be happy.Just went out last night and sat in the car in the garage and admired the finished project.WOW. Now for some under-hood led lighting. Never ends !
Warning be very careful when putting the spedometer benzel back in really delicate and need to use a lot of caution to keep from breaking it.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #570
73vette

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, 1973 Corvette
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!! Sorry, I had too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
Don't worry I had mine in and out probably 8 times until I got it right.The Vaseline really helpled the initial tight grip in and out but still lets the clip keep its retention properties.Just let it slip in initially a lot easier.Just a very little though or your clip and pipe will get messy.Good luck and get going.You will be happy.Just went out last night and sat in the car in the garage and admired the finished project.WOW. Now for some under-hood led lighting. Never ends !
Warning be very careful when putting the spedometer benzel back in really delicate and need to use a lot of caution to keep from breaking it.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #571
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yep...be VERY careful.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #572
zoneblitz
zoneblitz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS red jewel 22" Foose Le
Could you pleae tell me a fair price if I was willing to pay someone to do this project for me . Say a body shop? And how much do you charge for the things I need to purchase from you.
zoneblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #573
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
got mine done, sorry no pics yet, but came out even. i tried at least dozen times on n off. the light tube would be uneven in some spots, the light tube would be higher or lower it areas. so i purchased some 1/4 weather stripping, and put it along the trim about 1/3 inch down (not on the car, but the piece that you remove). then i installed it, it held the entire way, if the intensity of the light was off, i remove the trim and either raised of lowered the weather stripping and reinstalled and bam, the light tube creates the perfect gap, worked for me.

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #574
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
wish you tok pics of the weather stripping :(
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote