Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #29
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Have you had any problems or glitches in your product...if so what?
and what brand of halos and led strips and etc are you using?

btw i cant stop reading this thread lol really exciting!

should also make a build sheet with all your lighting info for people that would like your exact setup...

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #30
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
Thanks JT. JT is one of our testers that is driving his car daily. Maybe he can help answer some of the questions.
If I know the answer or know I can help someone I most definitely will!

Here is another short video that I shot just cause. It will give you a small glimpse at the app that you will use to control the lights! The long list of things you see on the screen are programs that I have created and re named. Ones like "Orange Halos" and what not so I open them up and know exactly what I'm starting. I do not have to create the programs every time I want them on. They save in the app!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker239 View Post
This looks really awesome!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
Have you had any problems or glitches in your product...if so what?
and what brand of halos and led strips and etc are you using?

btw i cant stop reading this thread lol really exciting!

should also make a build sheet with all your lighting info for people that would like your exact setup...
Oh sure we've had a ton of problems and glitches in all of the prototypes and tests systems. The products are getting released very soon, and hopefully we don't run into any more. That is why we've been testing and fixing.

Good idea on my car's build sheet. I'll try to get that together. The halos are using 3W RGB LEDs, which replace the factory LED. This is basically the same as the JDP halos. The LED strips that I am using for underbody, grill and floorboards is a no-name brand that you can find on ebay in 15m spools.
Joe@NightOwlLEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
How do you tell which light is doing what/color while operating car. I can see getting in the car and hitting the key fob, but how will operator know if lights are actually on/off or paticular color??

For example with my current setup I have most of my lights running off one RGB box ie my Halos, under glow, fender and grill lights. These are used most often during the day and night. Other lighting mostly for shows. However, there is a small light underneatch my cupholder switch plate that glows in cupholder allowing me to know what Color/Settings lights running. This has been VERY helpful.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #33
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
If I know the answer or know I can help someone I most definitely will!

Here is another short video that I shot just cause. It will give you a small glimpse at the app that you will use to control the lights! The long list of things you see on the screen are programs that I have created and re named. Ones like "Orange Halos" and what not so I open them up and know exactly what I'm starting. I do not have to create the programs every time I want them on. They save in the app!

Wow nice video, I hope I can afford this!

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #34
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
How do you tell which light is doing what/color while operating car. I can see getting in the car and hitting the key fob, but how will operator know if lights are actually on/off or paticular color??

For example with my current setup I have most of my lights running off one RGB box ie my Halos, under glow, fender and grill lights. These are used most often during the day and night. Other lighting mostly for shows. However, there is a small light underneatch my cupholder switch plate that glows in cupholder allowing me to know what Color/Settings lights running. This has been VERY helpful.
We thought hard about this. There are a couple of solutions. First, we recommend that you set your default colors to something safe. For instance, set halos to white, undercarriage off, etc. The master module is what receives the wifi and key fob signals. If the master module is either unplugged, or switched off, then the modules are unable to run any programs or other solid colors besides the default. Our master modules will come with a very short USB-style connector for power, and we'll be including a cigarette plug USB adapter. I like leaving the master in my center console, and unplug it when I'm driving. I could also see people hard-wiring the master, and put it on a switch. We also have devised a very simple way of keeping the center console power ports active at all times. We'll probably include this as well. It takes no more than 1 minute, and no tools. As soon as we have time, we'll do a DIY on this.

The second way is to include your indicator light into your programs. You can do this, but we suggest the first way. We're always open to suggestions too, if you think of a better way.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #35
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
If you need a test vehicle............ I'll be here

Been waiting on this for a while as well. I need new light controllers in my life, lol.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
What about a memory? So when it powers off and we restart it,it remembers the last settings. And will there be a way to store certain combo's.

Last edited by 2011 RJT; 03-20-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: can't spell for sh#t
2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #37
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 RJT View Post
What about a memory? So when it powers off and we restart it,it remembers the last settings. And will there be a way to store certain combo's.
The driver modules (HP, LP, SL) store a default color (for RGB multi-color devices) or a default brightness (for single-color LEDs) that you can set or change. When the master commands it to default, or if it loses communication with the master (you unplug it), all outputs revert to their default color/brightness.

Programs are stored on your smartphone, iPad, iPod Touch, etc. When you start a program using your device, it tells the master what program type to play, including timing, colors, and channels. Once a program is playing, you can tuck away your phone or device. The master will keep playing that program. There is no limit to the number of saved programs. We will introduce later the concept of shows (a combination of programs). For now, you can simply start the combination of saved programs.

Additionally, the key fob can "store" 4 of your favorite programs. They're actually stored on the master. It is easy to copy a program for each of the buttons.

We'll show you soon how all of this is done. The app (for iOS) is complete, and we're working on the android app. The app is very simple to use. You can create new programs, and change the timings, channels, and colors live. It is really fun just creating new programs. When you find something you like, save it. For early adopters, they'll need an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Something with iOS 6.0 or later. Android will be available this summer. We couldn't hold the products any longer.

I know all of this sounds complicated, but it really isn't. We've made it very easy, yet powerful. We'll be making some videos to explain the more complicated features.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #38
CamaroI

Quote:
We thought hard about this. There are a couple of solutions. First, we recommend that you set your default colors to something safe. For instance, set halos to white, undercarriage off, etc. The master module is what receives the wifi and key fob signals. If the master module is either unplugged, or switched off, then the modules are unable to run any programs or other solid colors besides the default. Our master modules will come with a very short USB-style connector for power, and we'll be including a cigarette plug USB adapter. I like leaving the master in my center console, and unplug it when I'm driving. I could also see people hard-wiring the master, and put it on a switch. We also have devised a very simple way of keeping the center console power ports active at all times. We'll probably include this as well. It takes no more than 1 minute, and no tools. As soon as we have time, we'll do a DIY on this.

The second way is to include your indicator light into your programs. You can do this, but we suggest the first way. We're always open to suggestions too, if you think of a better way.

Hmmmm not sure I would want a module that I unplug and replug in every time. My setup would require something seemless and hard wired to stay on at all times. I would then control the on/off functions with the current switches from Emblem Pros (as shown in photo above). The Iphone App would be used to control specific color and strobe effect.

To be honest my current system works very well giving me full control/knowlege of what lights are currently on/off. However, the RGB boxes seem to all be crap. Most are IR keeping static colors intact, but a pain when controling at shows or any distance outside of car.

My biggest use for Night Owl is the ability to change colors from one app and not use multipe controllers. Not sure I would use strobing effect or breathing effect on a daily basis, but nice for shows.

Again one of my biggest concerns would be knowing which lights actually come on when using an iPhone app or key fob. Outside the car you can visually inspect, but while driving I could see being an issue.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
Quote:
The driver modules (HP, LP, SL) store a default color (for RGB multi-color devices) or a default brightness (for single-color LEDs) that you can set or change. When the master commands it to default, or if it loses communication with the master (you unplug it), all outputs revert to their default color/brightness.

Programs are stored on your smartphone, iPad, iPod Touch, etc. When you start a program using your device, it tells the master what program type to play, including timing, colors, and channels. Once a program is playing, you can tuck away your phone or device. The master will keep playing that program. There is no limit to the number of saved programs. We will introduce later the concept of shows (a combination of programs). For now, you can simply start the combination of saved programs.

Additionally, the key fob can "store" 4 of your favorite programs. They're actually stored on the master. It is easy to copy a program for each of the buttons.

We'll show you soon how all of this is done. The app (for iOS) is complete, and we're working on the android app. The app is very simple to use. You can create new programs, and change the timings, channels, and colors live. It is really fun just creating new programs. When you find something you like, save it. For early adopters, they'll need an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Something with iOS 6.0 or later. Android will be available this summer. We couldn't hold the products any longer.

I know all of this sounds complicated, but it really isn't. We've made it very easy, yet powerful. We'll be making some videos to explain the more complicated features.
Thanks! I don't care about colors while driving,while driving the default will be set as a stock looking default. But what I don't get is I have to unplug it to shut it off? No on/off via remote?
2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #40
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
Hmmmm not sure I would want a module that I unplug and replug in every time. My setup would require something seemless and hard wired to stay on at all times. I would then control the on/off functions with the current switches from Emblem Pros (as shown in photo above). The Iphone App would be used to control specific color and strobe effect.

To be honest my current system works very well giving me full control/knowlege of what lights are currently on/off. However, the RGB boxes seem to all be crap. Most are IR keeping static colors intact, but a pain when controling at shows or any distance outside of car.

My biggest use for Night Owl is the ability to change colors from one app and not use multipe controllers. Not sure I would use strobing effect or breathing effect on a daily basis, but nice for shows.
You sound like you got your system set up pretty well. The emblempros switches are nice, and I have been talking with them about a 1/2 monster since I don't need that many switches, yet would like to still have space in the console. I do need switches for a line-lock and a few other items.

I personally don't use the effects unless I am at a show or a group gathering. That is why it isn't a big deal to me to leave the master unplugged. I still get the default colors exactly the color that I want them. Our testers do use the effects daily however.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
CamaroI

Quote:
Thanks! I don't care about colors while driving,while driving the default will be set as a stock looking default. But what I don't get is I have to unplug it to shut it off? No on/off via remote?
Sounds like the key fob will do on/off depending if you have it wired hot or not.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #42
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Yes, the remote does allow you to turn on and off your system. But any program button will run that program. You don't want to accidentally turn on a program while you are driving. Maybe we can change it so that you have to turn on the system first with the middle button. We'll think about it.