Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Zakk

Drives: 2010 Green Synergy Model Camaro
Green Halos illegal while driving?

Hi guys, hope I am posting this in the appropriate area of the forum. I have had green halos on my car for over a year and was told when I first had them installed, here in NC, that they were legal. That only colors like Blue, and Red were illegal while driving? So I have always kept them on pretty much everywhere I go and never had trouble until recently when a new officer from the small town I live in pulled me and said they were illegal, he wrote me a pretty expensive ticket which ended up being dropped because I have the halos on a switch.

My biggest question is, if they are indeed illegal to operate while driving, then is there a halo kit that I could replace it with that has all the colors including the clear, legal halos? I saw that JDP has the kit for RS Camaro's, but mine is just a regular 2010. Would appreciate any input!
Zakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Green should be legal. Most states its red and blue that are illegal.
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
ss_camaro_10
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
im not sure if its the same but green hid lights are illegal. cops dont really mess with us in south carolina but i got my only ticket ive ever gotten in north carolina so im pretty sure they are more strict up there.
ss_camaro_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Check your state laws... OP, do you have an RS or NON-RS? JDP will work with an RS once they release it. I know Ohio it's illegal to have green as they say that's for border patrol (Green/White) There's very few legal in Ohio, and if I'm guessing right here in VA White is only legal one allowed.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
ZoMBiE_KMF
Camaro Club of NM

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, Sold: [COTW 2/20/12]
Here in New Mexico I have got pulled over several times for other reasons with green halos on and they didn't say anything. But I got a ticket for them in Phx for C5II.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
Green should be legal. Most states its red and blue that are illegal.
green not legal.

"Brake lights (and/or brake reflectors) on the rear of a motor vehicle shall have red lenses so that the light displayed is red. The light illuminating the license plate shall be white. All other lights shall be white, amber, yellow, clear or red."

That wording is from NC. Just about every states has similar, blue and green not allowed, and red not allowed up front.

So the choices for the front halos would be white, amber, yellow, or clear.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
green not legal.

"Brake lights (and/or brake reflectors) on the rear of a motor vehicle shall have red lenses so that the light displayed is red. The light illuminating the license plate shall be white. All other lights shall be white, amber, yellow, clear or red."

That wording is from NC. Just about every states has similar, blue and green not allowed, and red not allowed up front.

So the choices for the front halos would be white, amber, yellow, or clear.
Same in Texas. Anything other than your standard colors is illegal.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
same here in Ohio
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Zakk

Thanks guys, guess I'm out of luck then. Never got pulled before, always thought green was legal, but guess it also depends on whether or not the cop feels like messing with you over something like that. I understand they are just doing their job though.

I wish they had the color shifting halos for mine instead of just the RS. I'm sure they will one day though.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Why didn't you buy the dual color aac or colorshift 2.0 halos? They both allow you to toggle between colors. I too have an ls and have the dual shift with dual colors on the way

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Zakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Why didn't you buy the dual color aac or colorshift 2.0 halos? They both allow you to toggle between colors. I too have an ls and have the dual shift with dual colors on the way
I actually didn't even know they had them until I contacted AAC the other day. :( I want to get them now, but I hate to pay for new ones and waste the green ones I have now, and also have to take the headlights back apart and everything. Seems like a big headache.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Sell them lol :P
I was able to get like 150 for my red ones which I then used to buy colorshifts

I would gauge interest in your greens first by putting them up in the for sale section. I did that and it worked like a charm

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Zakk

Thanks for the idea, don't know why I didn't think of that before! lol If I could get around 150, that would definitely help me afford the colorshifts.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #14
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofpuppets View Post
Same in Texas. Anything other than your standard colors is illegal.
This is incorrect. The State of Texas prohibits a vehicle from being equipped with a Red light (solid and to the center of the front of the vehicle unless it is an AEV) The transportation further regulates Red, White, or Blue Lights (FLASHING OR ALTERNATING) by explaining that they are also illegal. See Texas Transportation Code Restriction of Use of Lights.

What this means is that you can not have Red displayed to the front (whether steady burn or flashing/alternating) and that you can not have Blue or White lights to the front if they are flashing or alternating.

Blue to the front as a steady burn is ok as long as it is an auxillary lamp, etc. The headlights of the vehicle may not be any other color than "white". What is exactly white is yet to be determined by the courts seeing as how many lamps appear blue in color. Halogen lights are more closely yellow than they are white if you ask me. But any how... this is the CORRECT interpretation of the law.

There is a common misconception that Blue is reserved for Police Vehicles alone. Blue came about for vehicles (back in the day ambulances) that were transporting Oxygen and has long since stayed as an accepted emergency color. However, the state only looks at it as an emergency color in the event that it is flashing (or alternating). What makes a vehicle an "Authorized Emergency Vehicle" by definition of the chapter is on based on the fact of whether or not there is a red light projected to the front of the vehicle. See Texas Transportation Code "Authorized Emergency Vehicle" and you will see that all that is required for lighting of these types of vehicles is 4 red flashing lights that are mounted as high as practical and spaced as widely apart as practical. Nothing in that chapter is mentioned about blue (or any other color for that matter.) Further proving that the Texas Transportation Code defines "Lighting Required" on an Authorized Emergency Vehicle to be red.
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote