Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
DallasMaroLover

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM SS
Dealership can't fix problem!!! Help!!!

He fellow forum members. I hope everyone on here is enjoying their Camaros. I was wanting to see if anyone here has had the issue (only 1 out of many) I am having with my baby.

Since I got my car 3 years ago in November, it has always made this annoying knocking and clicking sounds. It only happens when I turn the car on when cold and reaches the first line in the temperature gauge. I used to think I had to drive it a good mile or 2 but actually, it happens if you just start it and let it heat up just a bit. It is 3 knocks with a weird zipper like, metal clanking noise. Seems like it comes from the middle-rear portion of the car behind the seats.

I have taken her to the dealership about 346248973894739748 times, but really, probably once or twice every couple of months and my dealership is totally incompetent. At one point, they wanted to blame the sounds on the breaks by saying "we think its the brakes. Want a quote?"

Has anyone had this sort of issue so I can go back to the dealership and give them some tips cause my Camaro is still over there?!?!?!?!!?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
It's normal. It's the fuel systems evap solenoid testing the tank. It does a vacuum test shortly after a cold start to make sure the tank can hold vacuum. Part of the EPA regs to make sure the tank isn't venting fumes.

Try a cold start with a full tank, it won't make the clicks. Only runs the test when the tank is below 3/4 full.

All cars do it, you just hear it in the Camaro because of lack of any body insulation.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
DallasMaroLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
It's normal. It's the fuel systems evap solenoid testing the tank. It does a vacuum test shortly after a cold start to make sure the tank can hold vacuum. Part of the EPA regs to make sure the tank isn't venting fumes.

Try a cold start with a full tank, it won't make the clicks. Only runs the test when the tank is below 3/4 full.

All cars do it, you just hear it in the Camaro because of lack of any body insulation.
Really!?!?!? After 3 years I wonder why the dealership wouldn't know this after hearing it over and over.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Russell James

Sounds like whoever is working on it lacks the basic knowledge of the EVAP system. Every modern car on the road does that test. You can also trigger the test with a scan tool. There are certain parameters that must be met..... tank between 10-90%, eng temp at 95ish, ambient below 85ish... So the car will do that test once after every cold start as the engine is going through that temperature.

The service manual covers it in detail, but that assumes they know how to read. I've over assumed that many times.

That same test will turn on the check engine light if you leave your gas cap loose.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
DallasMaroLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Sounds like whoever is working on it lacks the basic knowledge of the EVAP system. Every modern car on the road does that test. You can also trigger the test with a scan tool. There are certain parameters that must be met..... tank between 10-90%, eng temp at 95ish, ambient below 85ish... So the car will do that test once after every cold start as the engine is going through that temperature.

The service manual covers it in detail, but that assumes they know how to read. I've over assumed that many times.
Well I know they don't have the expertise needed to work on their own cars. Last week they replaced the lifters claiming that was the issue and stated that I heard the noise in the back because noise traveled.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Russell James

Fill the tank all the way full, and it won't click tomorrow morning.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Russell summed it up.

This is a normal operation and I've heard it from day one of owning the car. It will especially do it when the tank is half full or low etc..
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
DallasMaroLover

Thanks guys. I will try this after they do who knows what to it and get it back to me!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Joed

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS Victory Red
It's a disgrace that this dealer could get away with charging a manufacturer for warranty work for something that is normal. By the way we all pay for their incompetence when we pruchase a new vehicle.
Joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
DallasMaroLover

So I got a call from the dealership last night and they say they can not seem to duplicate the sound I have described. They asked if I could come down and show them the sound like I have had to do with every other issue I have brought to their attention.

By the way, I forgot to mention that when I picked it up last Thursday evening (even though I dropped it back off this Monday once again) I noticed that they scratched the passenger door. It's about a 1 foot long deep scratch!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Russell James

It will only make the solenoid clicking sound once a day as it warms up from a cold start at about 95 F eng temp. And it won't do it every time because a number of parameters have to be met, eng temp, ambient temp, tank level, time since last test...

They could also trigger the evap test with a scan tool, the directions are in the service manual on how to do that.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Man I learn something new everyday from this site every day. Nice job guys!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
When I had my new 2005 GTO it did the same thing. You'd think some one was in the trunk knocking. I knew what it was and would just laugh.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
OP, I dont see it in your sig, that you have changed out your exhaust, but when I installed my new Corsa cat back exhaust, when it would warm up (still does it) it will make a sound similar to what you are describing. as the clamped connection points creek as the pipe expands. This may not be your problem and it may well be the evap. system, but just another possibility.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote