Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged Red View Post
My wife's 2012 Sonic 6 speed manual has that. It holds the car for a few seconds when I let off the brake. I love it. Why don't you like the hill assist?
My wife's Subaru has it (and thank God that its default setting is "off"). On the handful of times when I've used it just to see what it was all about, it was of no advantage whatsoever. When you start up even without stalling it'll feel like something is dragging or there's something wrong with the car, kind of like you (or a passenger) keep setting the P-brake and nobody remembers to take it off. It's a driveability issue for which there is no excuse, except under truly unusual circumstances. And a blatant insult to those of us with somewhat longer experience driving stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent5 View Post
I have a 2013 SS manual. Honestly, I don't understand what the big deal is. Within a few days/weeks you don't even actively think of it. When I get to uphills I know to take my time moving my foot from the break to the accelerator and ease gently. In fact, I have it down so seamless now that I probably take off without a noticeable "jump" when the break is released.
The biggest part is that it does not agree with the timing that's consistent with most drivers - when it's time to go it's not the time to still be sitting there waiting. A second or two is an annoyance all out of proportion to its absolute magnitude, and shouldn't be added to the driver's state of mind when driving, even if only for a moment.

No way the person driving the automatic tranny vehicle behind you has even a clue why you're waiting the extra odd second or two (hell, he's not even going to be aware that you're driving an stick-shift car to begin with).

Quote:
I can understand how it takes getting used to but it's really an advantage if you learn how to use it (IMHO).
So tell me how you're ever going to get used to HSA in one car when none of several other cars available to you are not cursed with it? Or how you'd cope after you have mostly adapted to it and you aren't in that car?

That may be what my daughter is facing come later in the week when she picks up her new MT car (Dodge Dart, FWIW), while still having access to our cars (that are all manual tranny as well). Fortunately for her, I think I've found the disable procedure, making it two out of the three "US Domestic" manufacturers who have seen fit to provide this capability. Do you think they realize something that Chevy hasn't quite figured out yet?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-17-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
LOL its not a two second delay.......Its like go and it it lets you with out going backwards.......Frankly I like my hill start. ANd the lack of delay is from being able to give it gas and over power the braking effect with a little wheel slip if you do it right.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
ANd the lack of delay is from being able to give it gas and over power the braking effect with a little wheel slip if you do it right.
You should not be needing to crutch it like this. Whether there's enough power to easily overpower what's essentially stuck brakes isn't the issue. You simply should not have to.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
kansjfr

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I saw the 1LE forum (or sub-forum) mentioned in post#10 above. How do I get to that sub-forum? I didn't see it in the menu of forums.
kansjfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
Combover

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I received a call.

I, too, am unhappy there is not a defeat switch for HSA. I did mention my desire to them. I really hope whatever software update they make will be retrofit to our cars.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Combover

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent5 View Post
I have a 2013 SS manual. Honestly, I don't understand what the big deal is. Within a few days/weeks you don't even actively think of it. When I get to uphills I know to take my time moving my foot from the break to the accelerator and ease gently. In fact, I have it down so seamless now that I probably take off without a noticeable "jump" when the break is released.

I can understand how it takes getting used to but it's really an advantage if you learn how to use it (IMHO).
I didn't think the terms "take my time" and "ease gently" should be used when discussing Camaros

I don't like HSA. My car still "jerks" when my accelerator 'pressure' overcomes the brakes. I want to decide when the vehicle moves or not. I don't want to be in a position when I have to anticipate when it will move.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I find myself doing things I would not normally do just to make sure it does not set. My drive is on a hill and when I back out I don't come to a stop but switch to 1st gear while still rolling back. On my drive, I sit and wait until it disengages to pull forward. NOT safe to do but the alternative sucks. On the road I come up in neutral and do the fast shift to 1st after letting it roll back.

Boy aint safety great!!! Been driving since 1973, been driving a manual since 1973. But hey this does prove you can teach an old dog new tricks though.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgg60 View Post
Have you gotten your telephone survey yet? This is the one from the GM Engineers not the customer satisfaction survey. They call all new GM owners about a month after you take delivery of your new vehicle to see if there are any issues with your car. This is the perfect place for those of us who dislike HILL START ASSIST (HSA) to voice our concerns!! I told them that I love my new camaro but when they asked me if there were any annoyances, I told them of my dislike of HSA and how it caused me to stall several times and that it would be nice to be able to TURN IT OFF if we wanted.
Maybe if enough of us speak up they will issue an update to the computer to allow disabling or a adjusting HSA.

Hey, it’s worth a shot, right!?!
I got a call and told them to get rid of the CAGS 1st-4th sh.t !
CAI, Ported TB, Hurst ShortShifter,SkipShift Eliminator, 3.91 gears, Spohn rear TAs, BMR rear swaybar, Hedmen Shortys, Solo HF Cats, QTP Cutouts, DashLogic,Elite CC,Vitesse Throttle Controller,CurbAlert
Appearance:
20" Nitto Redlines, Rocket Muscle Boosters w/knockoff spinners,
Underbody LEDs, Footwell ,Dome & Door pull LEDs, RapidFire LED Tailights , DRL LEDs, Chrome Ghost parking lights,
Lloyds Mats, SS Kick Plates, Bowtie Hoodliner, '67 fender flags, Billet pedals, Heritage SS grill & deck emblems, rear deck blackout, custom engine brace
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
Rockamakis

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS,
I never received a call.
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:
able to give it gas and over power the braking effect with a little wheel slip if you do it right.
Have you smelt the car after doing that ????? All I smell is burnt brakes and clutch ....That CAN'T be good , especially over time!! just give me a freakin' button to turn it off, I don't need GM babysitting me while I'm on a hill. I'm a big boy and can handle it all by myself.... btw take your foot off the brake and count til it releases the hold...It IS 2 seconds!! I can even understand that some people might like it (although I cannot understand why) all's I'm saying is give me and the dozens of others who have ranted about it on this forum the option...Mustang's can do it for God's sake!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
LOL its not a two second delay.......Its like go and it it lets you with out going backwards.......Frankly I like my hill start. ANd the lack of delay is from being able to give it gas and over power the braking effect with a little wheel slip if you do it right.
It IS a 2 second delay. And it's ride the clutch, overpower the brakes or wait till you roll to leave without stalling.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #26
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
My mini has it but as soon as there is any forward motion it lets go of the brakes. Can't even tell its working unless you try and roll backwards.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote