Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
Ksmoke

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT/RS
If I had to id drive mine in the winter but I was able to pick up a grand cherokee for 900 bucks. So might as well garage it and not risk it. But to the OP you got a good list going. Maybe add an out door cover for any crazy winter nights, might wanna throw it on for the night.
Ksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Are you the red ss with black stripes who followed me yesterday on Crowchild for a bit?

I drove mine last winter on blizzaks and had no issues. Actually, I found the car quite fun to drive. Mines a 2SS as well, and it handled the snow amazingly. There were a couple of times I got caught in storms, got off deerfoot and took slower routes as the roads were very icy and I would lose traction. If you drive it according to conditions, you'll be fine. It's other drivers I'd worry about, but knock on wood, I've never had a winter accident!

Your list sounds awesome, you are well prepared!
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
It sounds like you are more than prepared! I say just relax and go easy on the loud pedal.

I drove mine last winter and I will be again this year. I have blizzaks, steelies, and weathertech mats. I should probably look into rust protection. I googled Crown which you mentioned, but they don't have them in the US.

Can anybody recommend any good rust inhibitors? Anybody use Ziebart?
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I would get some jumper cables in there too. It is unlikely that your battery is old enough to have issues yet, however weather change is the most common cause of battery failure.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
The Camaro will handle the snow fine with a good set of snow tires. However, there are days when the snow is deep enough or the roads are icy enough that it's not worth it to me to take my Camaro out.

Luckily I'm picking up a beater SUV for the really bad winter days today!
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
U are nuts. my firebird gets stuck if its snowing in another state. i want all seasons on the rs i am looking at for rain and colder temps but have envoy for snow
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
U are nuts. my firebird gets stuck if its snowing in another state. i want all seasons on the rs i am looking at for rain and colder temps but have envoy for snow
You really can't compare an F body with a 5th gen. The 5th gen is much more competent in the snow.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Proper Camaro Winter Check List:

(1) Beater Car ( )
(2) Park Camaro in garage ( )
(3) Change Oil ( )
(4) Car Cover ( )

haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
I'd at battery tender and fuel stabilizer to that list.
All the above with a wash & detail before storing and a couple of boxes of mothballs to chase the rodents away.

I can't justify driving my Camaro in the winter when I have a 4x4 pickup. It's about all the chemicals and idiots that are all over the roads all winter. Much rather the pickup take the abuse winter brings.

Your Camaro will drive great with a good set of winter tires and a driver who understands how to drive in adverse conditions.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I drove my car in the snow last year without too many issues. The torque is a killer but as long as you know how to drive RWD in snow you will be okay. Here is a picture of my car in 3.5-4" of snow last year....
Attached Images

| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
White Shark

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 78 View Post
I should freak you guys out with the pictures of my car covered in snow last winter. The Camaro handled the snow better than my Suburban.
My Camaro in the snow last year was like a snow eater, Blizzacks and cat litter bags in the trunk.
White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Winter checklist:

Move to Southern AZ.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
One more thing for your list...

9) Move further south, don't worry about the weather, drive your car year round and enjoy!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
thanks everyone for their input. I will add a set of jumper cables just in case; I have full coverage insurance, and also, I just obtained a CAR2GO membership so I can move around every time there is a heavy snowstorm so I can leave the SS at home. Next time I'll consider moving somewhere south haha, it will make having a camaro more enjoyable, however I always enjoy it no matter what.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #28
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
Are you the red ss with black stripes who followed me yesterday on Crowchild for a bit?

I drove mine last winter on blizzaks and had no issues. Actually, I found the car quite fun to drive. Mines a 2SS as well, and it handled the snow amazingly. There were a couple of times I got caught in storms, got off deerfoot and took slower routes as the roads were very icy and I would lose traction. If you drive it according to conditions, you'll be fine. It's other drivers I'd worry about, but knock on wood, I've never had a winter accident!

Your list sounds awesome, you are well prepared!
I dont think so, mine is red but with grey stripes, but I think I saw that red camaro with black stripes too and blacked out rear end side of the trunk ? I was on crowchild yesterday when I saw it and again on 17th. On the other hand, Im glad to hear it handled well. I drove mine every time the streets were clear over the winter , but with a set of winter tires It will be more safe if there is some snow.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, tires, winter driving