Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
JCashel

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray RS
Do the paddle shifters actually shift or do they set a shift point

i have a 2013 RS and i was wondering when i use my paddle shifters does it actually shift the car or does it just set a shift point for the rest of the gears. i was wondering because at different times when i put it in manual the car it will shift automatically. but depending on the time it will automatically shift at different rpm levels. so thats how i came to this conclusion. any insight into this would be appreciated.
JCashel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
GTAwheelman

Drives: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
I have never driven with the paddle shifters(or any 5th gen tbh) but i'm going to guess its much like when i put my truck into 1st gear. when the rpms get close to red line the computer will shift into 2nd even though the shiftier is in 1st.
GTAwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
They shift actually
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I use the paddles every once in a while and, it seems to me, you have to actually + up the shifter or it will remain in the gear you are in. I could be wrong, but I have run the RPMs up pretty high in each paddle gear and it always waits for me to "shift up" or it will just max out at the rev limiter. Others here will know for sure.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
If you have an LT or SS, when you put the car in M (manual), Sport Mode is engaged.

Sport mode retains automatic shifting, but the shift points are more aggressive than when in Drive, and based on throttle inputs holds gears longer before shifting.

Touching the up shift paddle shifter will engage Manual mode which will allow you to manually up shift/downshift and will hold RPMs until you touch the tap shift again, so you could rev the engine to red line and it won't shift until you hit the tap shift. It also prevents you from downshifting to a lower gear if the engine speed is too high. The trans will automatically downshift to 1st gear when you decelerate to a stop. At least this is how it works for me...

If you have an 2LS, then the tap shift will set a gear limit of the trans. You can't up shift through the gears in a 2LS.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Yeah it will not shift for you at all once your in M mode. I kind of wish they would have done it a little differently. I like to drive in S mode and it's too easy to bump the paddle and not know it, and not realize it until your not shifting into 2nd! Especially when you have your music up.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
xRedsox
Night Fury

Drives: 2016 Golf R
They work, I actually use them when I'm driving on the streets because they are fun to use.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
I use them all the time, kind of like a stick shift without the clutch.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Your owners manual explains exactly how this operates. When you shift into M on the console, in the display it will show S at first. This is sport mode and the transmission will hold gears longer and is more aggressive. The first time you touch either paddle it will then be in manual mode and can only be upshifted with the paddle, but will automatically downshift when coming to a stop, on the V8 it will downshift to second and on the V6 it will shift down to first. You can force a downshift with the left paddle unless it would be over the rev limiter when it downshifts, in that case you will get a shift denied message. Also when you are upshifting if it is too low and rpm to shift that it would lug the engine you will not be allowed to shift and you will then get a shift denied message.
On a side note on 2012 (maybe 2011) and later cars you can also push the paddles and force a shift while in D, but this is only temporary and will resort back to auto mode when the computer dances the engine load stabilizing for several seconds.
This does not include the 2LS models though.
To verify what I said just read your owners manual.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
SSx2JAMES

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS + 2010 Camaro SS
what about if u are in competition mode. will the paddle shifters still work. tried this in my car, seemed to not go pass 70mph. some kind of limp mode.
SSx2JAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I use Comp. Mode all the time, they work the same. My upper Rev limit for up/downshifts is raised as well. Car will just bounce off of the Rev limiter in manual mode.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt, paddle shifter