Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #99
SEXYRED808
Account Suspended

Drives: yellow RS/SS
HOW TO TOPIC

I HAVE I 1SS, SO IS THIS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO IF I WERE TO CHANGE OUT TO THE PAINTED PANELS?? AND IF SO, AM I ABLE TO ILLUMINATE THE DOORS AS WELL??
SEXYRED808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #100
KTCAM
HPE 600

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS w Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
What would happen if you uses the foil tape to cover the whole expanse of the dash where it is hidden by the trim pieces, and the have the rod in fron of it so that it is just reflecting the entire light would this maybe make the whole panel glow?
Although I didnt do it the entire panel ..only about 1/2 of it & it did not make a difference where there was foil or not...light output was equal all the way across
KTCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #101
KTCAM
HPE 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuduman67 View Post
The plugs in the dash are on the same circuit and everything dims properly.
Driving is fine at night and everyone who has seen mine thinks it came that way and are amazed that it is a mod. Definatly worth the time and money! I would think it would be a pretty daunting mod for someone who does not do this type of work though. I have been in the colllision industry for over 20 yrs and it took me 4 hours to get it right. Not to say it cant be done, its not hard just takes some time and patience.
I agree it's a challenge but not hard ...just time consuming. I think with the walk thru & knowing where to cut ...it would probably take 2 hr. ...maybe max 3hr. if your are really slow & extra cautious. I spent more time tring to figure out where to cut , where to run wires, trying the foil thing, hot glue ect.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #102
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Wow, i figured it wouldve done something, thats too bad, i want to try to get the whole panel to kinda glow. I think ill just try it anyway, if it doesnt do anything, ill just take the tape off.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #103
KTCAM
HPE 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Wow, i figured it wouldve done something, thats too bad, i want to try to get the whole panel to kinda glow. I think ill just try it anyway, if it doesnt do anything, ill just take the tape off.
BTW the glue on the foil tape is VERRRRRRRY hard to get off.

Thats why I would like to see who has sanded theirs to see how much light is there is
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #104
KTCAM
HPE 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEXYRED808 View Post
I HAVE I 1SS, SO IS THIS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO IF I WERE TO CHANGE OUT TO THE PAINTED PANELS?? AND IF SO, AM I ABLE TO ILLUMINATE THE DOORS AS WELL??
YES
Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #105
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTCAM View Post
Although I didnt do it the entire panel ..only about 1/2 of it & it did not make a difference where there was foil or not...light output was equal all the way across
Now that I got the light tube and see how it works (still don't have my car), but in the part where the light isn't that bright, could you just paint part of the back of the tube with whiteout?
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #106
KTCAM
HPE 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Now that I got the light tube and see how it works (still don't have my car), but in the part where the light isn't that bright, could you just paint part of the back of the tube with whiteout?
Once you do the install with 2 light connectors the light is even all the way across
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #107
camarorick

Drives: .
Kudos to you KTCAM for the information you're sharing , but I decided to go with my original method using EL wire. My prior attempts using only the wire were good, but I noticed that the light being emitted was a little blotchy in spots ( I was gluing the wire in place, so it was not perfectly straight ). I decided to incorporate a 3/16" acrylic tube to emulate the install you guys are doing ( Air tube for aquariums - $1.99 ). UNBELIEVABLE, the light now is PERFECT, SMOOTH, and The install I did is less invasive to your dash

I started by sanding the edge of dash trim with 800 grit, and then finished it with 1000 grit. I used masking tape to make sure the sanded line is straight. I installed the acrylic tube in the same location as the rod would go, then slide the EL wire inside.

Here's some photos of the tube attached to the trim, and also installed ( lit up ).

Last edited by camarorick; 04-10-2013 at 09:56 AM.
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #108
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
WOW the blue looks great... can you give a more in depth description of parts and method please? I am not so into all the cutting of the dash even though his job on the orange looks AWESOME! I really want the blue all the way across!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #109
KTCAM
HPE 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Kudos to you KTCAM for the information you're sharing , but I decided to go with my original method using EL wire. My prior attempts using only the wire were good, but I noticed that the light being emitted was a little blotchy in spots ( I was gluing the wire in place, so it was not perfectly straight ). I decided to incorporate a 3/16" acrylic tube to emulate the install you guys are doing ( Air tube for aquariums - $1.99 ). UNBELIEVABLE, the light now is PERFECT, SMOOTH, and The install I did is less invasive to your dash

I started by sanding the edge of dash trim with 800 grit, and then finished it with 1000 grit. I used masking tape to make sure the sanded line is straight. I installed the acrylic tube in the same location as the rod would go, then slide the EL wire inside.

Here's some photos of the tube attached to the trim, and also installed ( lit up ).

That look GREAT!!! Did you use 2.2 0r 5.0 mm wire??

And could you show us where the exact areas that you sanded???

GREAT Work ......Me like
Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #110
Michael Cooper
Oh Yeah! I Got One!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro 08' Charger
Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Cooper
Guy's i made a huge mistake i sanded too much off of my insert that goes across the dash i the the lighting perfect but the insert is messed up...

does anyone have a part number for it or do i have to order the whole kit? (including door inserts)

Founder of ABL Door Mod
Visit my blog: iMichaelC.blogspot.com
Michael Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #111
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary H50 2SS
Quote:

That does look great. Now it only looks like you have to complete the door mod conversion to have a complete ABL. If you do complete the door mod, first could you please post more pictures.

I am waiting on my ABL Lights from GM, hopefully they will be in tommorow so that I can do the dash on Saturday.

Once it is done I will try to post pics of the complete ABL install in Blue.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #112
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Quote:

looks great